Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Thursday 13th January

Chat thread – Thursday 13th January

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

SamG

Krisflyer extending miles with a 2022 expiry again which is good news for me as I’ve a glut due to expire 30 April and it’ll be much better to be able to use for a summer 2023 trip

Guernsey Globetrotter

KrisFlyer status also being extended by a year:
    “In recognition of your loyalty and given the limited flying opportunities available in the past year, SIA will automatically renew your KrisFlyer Elite Silver status for another 12 months for your next membership renewal that is due between March 2022 and February 2023.”
    If anyone still has Shangri-La Jade status from their Amex Plat that will likely be expiring 31/12/22 then taking advantage of a match to KrisFlyer (Star Alliance) Silver status that will then last into 2024.

SamG

KrisFlyer status also being extended by a year:
    “In recognition of your loyalty and given the limited flying opportunities available in the past year, SIA will automatically renew your KrisFlyer Elite Silver status for another 12 months for your next membership renewal that is due between March 2022 and February 2023.”
    If anyone still has Shangri-La Jade status from their Amex Plat that will likely be expiring 31/12/22 then taking advantage of a match to KrisFlyer (Star Alliance) Silver status that will then last into 2024.

A little niche but if anyone took advantage of the “free elite mile” deal, these have been carried over, so it wasn’t a pointless exercise if you already had status already. Very generous of SQ, though they didn’t have much choice considering how limited flying still is in the region

BuildBackBetter

Very generous of SQ, though they didn’t have much choice considering how limited flying still is in the region

All miles expiring last 2 years will now expire in first half of 2023.

Unless there’s another extension then, SQ will report a good paper profit in Q1 & Q2 2023.

silvester667

Any advice on how this will play out. Currently on blue level and reset date is 8th June. Have a trip booked to Istanbul for a few days on 28th March. This is worth 320 points with the five day bonus and will send me silver. But, from reading the forums the bonus points are taking from 60-90 days to appear.
    I am due to fly to New York in mid May so should be silver but probably will be bronze due to time delay in applying the bonus tier points. Looks like I will lose the use of silver on the NY flights and actually lose the points when they are applied due to my reset date.

2ilent8cho

I remember months and months ago small hints of a non Amex card coming that would be useful for Avios collectors, especially those who don’t qualify for the Barclays Premier current account. Still no news anywhere?

spawn606

Does anyone know if Amex through Billhop (or any CC) gives me section75 protection?

Looking to book some building work but they only accept bank transfer as a deposit, but would like to pay a small amount on amex via billhop to get s75 protection.

Thanks!

JDB

Does anyone know if Amex through Billhop (or any CC) gives me section75 protection?

Looking to book some building work but they only accept bank transfer as a deposit, but would like to pay a small amount on amex via billhop to get s75 protection.

Thanks!

You don’t get s75 protection via Billhop or PayPal.

AL

Thanks!

Section 75 requires a direct link between the debitor, the creditor and the supplier. In this case, the debitor is you, the creditor is AmEx and the supplier is your building company. Working out whether or not a third-party in the middle (such as Billhop) complicates matters is hard. There have been many cases where credit card companies refuse to honour Section 75 claims when payment was made via PayPal and, extending that logic, the risk is likely there through Billhop, too.

The Financial Ombudsman Service appear to take the view that, because it is common place for parties in a relationship such as this to use third-party payment processors and because it isn’t always clear that you’re using one (although it is in this case), there is therefore no clear-cut route to saying whether or not Section 75 applies. In the past, they have called out that it is irrelevant if you knew that a third party processor was in use and that the wording on your statement is not sufficient grounds to deny a Section 75 claim.

Section 75 has existed for many years and provides a somewhat unique protection to customers of credit cards (if you’ve got an AmEx charge card, it has similar but not necessarily equivalent protection, so do be careful there). On that basis, I wouldn’t be too scared about using a third-party payment processor, but as mentioned above, whether Section 75 applies or not is a bit up in the air. The view from Trading Standards, payment processors, banks and others is – largely – that they won’t block Section 75 claims when presented with them if a third-party payment processor was used. However, AmEx have been known to try to decline them, resulting in a claim needing to be made to the FOS…

If you’re solely after it for the protection, and did have lingering doubts, then a reasonable alternative is to offer to pay a percentage up-front and a percentage on completion – that’s quite common with the trades, and I’m sure a reasonable builder would be open to that, so long as there was some paperwork signed between you to say that’s what you’d said.

In short: S75 on Billhop isn’t guaranteed – up in the air. Use your noggin when dealing with the trades; the vast majority are reputable but it is reasonable to have everything in writing and, say, a 50/50 split on payment.

AL

DP: Booked 14/02/22 VS7 H (Premium). Pre-OLCI £7900 for UC in Z. At OLCI, UC in Z for £799.

PaulC

Onboard BA a350 in the new club suite heading for Dubai. So far very impressed, was worried not being sat next to my wife but actually it’s really nice with the enclosed booth style. Very nice. Thanks to HfP on a redemption and point Hilton on the other side.
    Manchester airport was dead but good to see Heathrow fairly busy.

SunGuy

What did I do to have my comments moderated on the Bits article?! ? 🙁

Lady London

spawn606 you only need to pay £1 of a purchase valued over £100 on a UK credit card for the whole value to be protected by Section 75.

However beware of payment intermediaries. I think you’d be ok with a till payment processor like Stripe and possibly with Paypal if the merchant only took cards through Paypal. But I think Billhop is a step too far so far as putting a different party in the contract at the actual payment step is concerned.

So if you’re that worried put £1 or a small reasonable deposit on UK credit card and rest on, say, UK charge card. Make sure your contract is for the whole and that the deposit isn’t split somehow as only pertaining to part.

Rob
    HfP Staff

What did I do to have my comments moderated on the Bits article?! ? 🙁

The automatic moderation software on the articles has got a lot more aggressive since we launched the forum. It’s not clear why.

Olly1

Apologies if you find this on the Forum as well, I thought I was putting in on today’s thread but still getting used to the change. Anyhoo…..

I have a reservation coming up at ICPL as an IHG Credit card free night rewards. I am Spire Ambassador and cannot find much information on what to expect, so looking for anyone’s previous experience. From TA’s limited reviews there is no compd lounge access and the upgrade listed on the reservation is one level upgrade. The hotel website pictures seem to have little to differentiate the standard and superior. I heard mention of double upgrade, one for being Spire, another for Ambassador )as one of the fixed benefits) but cannot substantiate this. Can we expect anything with the status, if even just drinks vouchers, or simply a pokey room and nothing else as it is a free Credit card reward night stay?

Many thanks.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Thursday 13th January’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.