Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Thursday 22nd September

Chat thread – Thursday 22nd September

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

Froggee

Of course! 1am on the dot I refresh for redemption flights. Up they come. I select what I want. At the point of payment I get an error. I go back and try again. There is a problem with the website. I cannot log in. I go downstairs and call the US executive number got from here. Closed apparently. Manage to dig out the Japan number also from Headforpoints as I can’t get into my account to find it. I get through quickly but am told that my account does not exist. The fellow then checks and there is a problem with the system so he cannot book redemptions.

It is beyond annoying.

So I’m probably going to book cash flights now and go to bed and see what the lie of the land is tomorrow.

How can BA be so bad?

mecrash

Snap, crackle and pop..

Appears system maintenance.
    Annoyed beyond belief, but not amazed.

Froggee

It’s so bad. I ended up booking cash tickets back from Marseille for 236 euros HBO. Even that took two attempts as it hung at payment the first time. I then selected seats (free of charge) from manage my booking. I then thought “hang about does that mean it recognises my executive club status and the site is back up”.

So I tried booking with Avios again. All four flights had full availability. I pounced and got business class on the first flight back which was my first choice. By the time I was done I checked back and the second flight of the day was sold out of Avios seats, and the flight I was on was sold out in Economy (but the other two business class were still available).

I looked just now and all four flights are sold out on Avios. The cash tickets on my flight are already at 342 euros in Economy. So I now need to phone and cancel these which seems a bit of a waste of everyone’s time although BA will make >100 euros per seat on that trade so don’t feel bad for them…

Ironically the outage might have gone in my favour has who knows how many people I was competing with at 1am who gave up because they have work/a life/a semblance of pride.

I’ll take it as a win.

Froggee

13 minutes on hold and 5 minutes to cancel the cash flights. All good now. Although it’s pi$$ing it down this morning and Mrs Froggee wants to go to John Lewis as I have 2x free hot drink + cake on my card. Tail wagging dog I say.

Don’t panic – there won’t be a trip report.

yonasl

My god, all that hassle to fly from or to Marseille … cannot imagine how hard it is to have flights to places that actually people may want to go to!

MattB

I assume its the rugby world cup, so probably lots of people will be wanting to go that weekend.

Froggee

Yep – they cunningly scheduled Scotland vs South Africa the day after England vs Argentina.

So I was undoubtedly competing with many England fans who’ll be travelling back on the Monday having enjoyed a relaxing Sunday in Marseille admiring the local crime stats which are apparently unparalleled within France.

astra19

Has anybody tried to make a Melia Rewards booking lately? If you go on the website it shows you how many points you need on the booking page… but there’s no way to actually book it!
    I got a great deal on a mixed points/cash booking a few weeks ago but there doesn’t seem to be a way to do it any longer.

MattB

Have you tried different browsers? I seem to recall having to use IE instead of chrome once although it was a while back. Melia’s IT is woeful

astra19

Melia certainly gives BA a run for its money in poor IT. I’ve tried Safari, I’ll give others a go.

maximus

Is there a way of withdrawing/using my curve rewards balance in full (apart from topping up Amazon)?

Hogdiesel

Yep – they cunningly scheduled Scotland vs South Africa the day after England vs Argentina.

So I was undoubtedly competing with many England fans who’ll be travelling back on the Monday having enjoyed a relaxing Sunday in Marseille admiring the local crime stats which are apparently unparalleled within France.

Well worth looking at Nice as an alternative. Still some Avios availability this morning. It is of course 2-40mins to do the 100 mile Tain journey to Marseille (not exactly speedy). But hassle and cost more than offset by chance to avoid faintly ludicrous prices on BA (£350 economy return and £650 club).

Richie

easyJet to Toulon may be an ok alternative.

Stu_N

Melia certainly gives BA a run for its money in poor IT. I’ve tried Safari, I’ll give others a go.

Chrome works best for Melia.com in my experience.

Panda Mick

Left field: I’ve had two refunds from the Moxy at Malpensa (one of my fave hotels despite the appalling synthetic pillows) for two stays I had earlier in the year…… Weird….. Not complaining, mind….

NorthernLass

I’m sure easyJet or Ryanair used to fly to Montpellier as well. Possibly BA also!

Niall

Has anybody tried to make a Melia Rewards booking lately? If you go on the website it shows you how many points you need on the booking page… but there’s no way to actually book it!
    I got a great deal on a mixed points/cash booking a few weeks ago but there doesn’t seem to be a way to do it any longer.

Use the App! There is a 5% discount given in the app. While it doesn’t discount points rates, I think it might for points and cash.

Michael C

Marseille-St Pancras might be back on by then, too!

NorthernLass

@Froggee, are you looking at London departures? easyJet does seem to fly LGW to Montpellier daily, though the schedule only goes up to May currently (they are VERY late with the summer timetable).

SamG

@maximus anywhere you can pay a specific amount, I pay it off my Amex but gas/elec/water could be another idea

FazzyBear

Emirates Skywards continue their random prices for Arsenal PL games. For fixtures before Xmas they were 10-12.5k points per tickets now 20-35k.
    Some hospitality are now being auctioned and others 60k per ticket whereas before they were 40k max.

yorkshireRich

Quick question here just incase I’ve missed something. So I have an Amex platinum and around 1k off the target spend. I want the 200 quid amex travel offer so I can book a hotel in November. I am assuming it comes fairly quick once the target spend is met? I have booked a radisson hotel on non refundable but the money is not showing on my statement (which was the plan). Am I best off booking a fully flexible hotel on Expedia for the summer so I trigger the spend? Hopefully that way I get the Amex travel 200 pound deal pretty quickly then once radisson takes my money, I’ll just cancel that the Expedia hotel?

Thanks as always

Froggee

@Froggee, are you looking at London departures? easyJet does seem to fly LGW to Montpellier daily, though the schedule only goes up to May currently (they are VERY late with the summer timetable).

I am now booked both ways from Heathrow to Marseille in Club Europe with Avios so all good. But two middle of the nighters and too much stress.

I’m based in Edinburgh so it’s totally logical that I want to fly from Heathrow. But there are no direct flights from Edinburgh that I can see other than a RyanAir route a couple of days a week which ends in March and may or may not come back for September.

Sadly we burned my dad a few years ago and put his ashes in a wee box and buried them with his mummy and daddy and granny and grandpa so I can’t take him. Therefore I’m going with Mr McToadrick, a very good friend who lives in London, quite handily positioned for Heathrow. He also misses his daddy so we’ll probably cry at each other but obv totally deny it and say we had a jolly old time of it if anyone asks.

So logistically it is more fun to pop down the night before and fly out together from Heathrow and also come back together. Don’t tell anybody but we have English friends who will be in Marseille also.

Mr McToadrick won’t be the same as my dad and indeed I doubt the game will invoke the same sort of memories that seeing Scotland vs Australia in the Rugby World Cup, the Barbarians at Twickenham (compensation for reneging on Barbarians vs Lions in Hong Kong because some idiot got Mrs Froggee pregnant) or the Hong Kong Sevens will but life goes on.

Andrew.

Couple of interesting new offers appeared on my MBNA and BoS cards.

10% Back at Sainsbury’s – max £30 return
    10% Back at Esso when using the Esso App to pay – max £70 return

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Thursday 22nd September’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.