Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Thursday 22nd September

Chat thread – Thursday 22nd September

Topic closed
  • Lumma

Is there a way of withdrawing/using my curve rewards balance in full (apart from topping up Amazon)?

Pay an Amex or other card that lets you use curve bill with it?

BJ

Nectar: had a letter today from Sainsbury’s Bank. Double points now also ending for existing customers from next April. Starting to wonder if the devaluation will be limited to the bank and to earnings only or if it will spread and affect burning and avios conversions too.

astra19

@Niall
    The Melia app was the only thing I could get to work, thank you!

meta

As you probably all know by now, Japan is opening up on 11 October to all visa-free countries (3x vaxx or pre-departure PCR still required). I also suspect this will be changed to 4x vaccinated for some age groups once Japan has completed its own vaccination programme. And also beaware that should the winter surge be high, they might close again (last year they opened visa for business/students for 10 days or so, before shutting everything down!).

I’ll try and post my reviews of The Mitsui in the usual thread and I also have an upcoming stay at the Kimpton Tokyo. These are both new properties that opened in the last 2-3 years.

MarkSX

Anyone been successful with an EU261 claim against WizzAir and how long did they take to get back to you? Been 2 months for me and nothing at all.

slidey

Trying to find out how many points Id get for crediting a United flight to Aeroplan, it was P class, where to credit says 150% but 750 miles below it, anyone know what the 750 miles mean?

brian

Booked a last minute flight out of London City for tomorrow night and just realised I’ve no idea how easy it is to get through security there post pandemic. Every airport I’ve been to this year has been pretty chaotic (Gatwick, Dublin) but I assume LCY is more similar to pre pandemic levels of ease.

Anyone been recently?

Harrier25

Is there a way of withdrawing/using my curve rewards balance in full (apart from topping up Amazon)?

Pay an Amex or other card that lets you use curve bill with it?

I top up my OVO Energy account with my Curve Cash.

Stu_N

@brian Was at City on Monday evening and was through in less than 10 mins and no probs a few times over the summer either.

Top tip – if you use the scanner on the right then you don’t need to decant laptops/ liquids either.

brian

@Stu_N That’s great news. Why is the scanner on the right allowing liquids and laptops? Are they trialling a move away from the traditional approach? Usually wouldn’t bother me faffing around but I’m planning on bringing a bulky Facebook Portal Go with me and I assumed I’d need to take it out.

Gavin454

AAnd also beaware that should the winter surge be high, they might close again (last year they opened visa for business/students for 10 days or so, before shutting everything down!).

I’m sure the winter surge will probably be high. But I think it’s pretty unlikely they would close again, unless there’s a much worse new variant. After so long being closed (2 years 7 months) they have reopened 6-12 months later than nearly everywhere else that had similar levels of travel restrictions. None of those places closed again during the big BA.5 wave this summer.

If they close again only due to high cases but without hospitals being overwhelmed, and while the rest of the world carries on as normal, it would set a terrible precedent and imply that Japan might keep closing at the drop of a hat every winter/every year depending on COVID cases. The uncertainly would be devastating for tourism and business, and no doubt prompt a lot of anger from both inside and outside Japan.

donna1

With Japan and Hong Kong now available for travel, any thoughts of when we may see a qatar sale? The only ‘cheap’ tickets seem to be on Lufthansa, at around £1,500 from Scandinavia.

Humphrey

Apologies if this has been covered but I have a question about the Spend £500 get £250 back with United Amex offer. If I am buying two tickets for a total of £800, I am guessing they will charge £400 twice (ie separately for each passenger) rather than £800 once for the total? Does anyone have any experience of cumulative spend qualifying or is it definitely 1 charge of £500+?

Stu_N

@Brian it’s one of the new 3D baggage scanners so no need to empty your precious things out your bag.

Stu_N

@humphrey Airline offers are always cumulative even if it’s not explicit in T&Cs because the charge is usually broken down as you describe.

meta

@Gavin454 People on the inside (those that vote and matter) actually don’t want tourists. Just look at the vile they spit on social media. Plus the hospitals and doctors don’t want to lose their subsidies. K

In terms of tourism & businesses too many have already closed and gone bankrupt. You just have to stroll down the street in some of the onsen towns or even in Kyoto to realise that. On top the Chinese are still not allowed to travel and they make up 90% of tourists to Japan.

And yes, they still do count covid cases. They still take your temperature and mask/hand gel police is in full operation. Tourists are in for a shock and the Japanese too when they tourists start disobeying rules.

Humphrey

@humphrey Airline offers are always cumulative even if it’s not explicit in T&Cs because the charge is usually broken down as you describe.

Thanks @Stu_N, much appreciated.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Thursday 22nd September’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.