Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Thursday 23rd December

Chat thread – Thursday 23rd December

Topic closed
  • TGLoyalty

Pre Departure (returning to UK) LTF not a problem as we are already testing negative on them. As for the day 2 PCR when back in the UK, this will test positive and through us into isolation again. Does anyone know the exemption rules on this for having recently testing positive? Is it similar to the previous day 2 tests where the legal obligation is to purchase the test for the PLF but not actually have to take it?

Judge away – that’s fine 🙂

You’ll be fine and very unlikely to test positive the nhs advice is just so you don’t bother them again as reinfection within 3 months is unlikely.

@memesweeper
    I’m sure even the busy bodies in waterside are happy you cashed in your chips and you’re now 5 bums in seats rather than sitting on a pile of liabilities (Avios / vouchers).

• This reply was modified 52 years, 5 months ago by .
    ag

Hello all from the Flounge. My 50% HND flights from 2020 have been converted into last minute JFK Christmas reunion tickets. Bonus – Club suite both ways. Happy Christmas HFP!

How did you manage that?

• This reply was modified 52 years, 5 months ago by .
    NorthernLass

DP re HH redemptions (not really worth a separate thread). I’ve booked 5 nights at Baker’s Cay Resort in Key Largo for next December and it confirms on the booking that no taxes or fees are charged on all points bookings – let’s hope we don’t have a tussle over the hotel with that in the event! “Resort fee” is $38 pn there so a decent saving.

ChrisC

Well isn’t this just typical?

Last night I cancelled a BA holiday for next month for a voucher (deadline date as 21 days before travel) before I had to pay the balance.

Have just received a couple of emails cancelleing some of the flights which would have enabled me to get a full refund!

Be interesting to see what they do with the rest of the flights on the bookings as the new AMS-LHR leg means the rest of the flights would be impossible.

Oh well I’ll just use the FTV to pay down my next trip!

The Savage Squirrel

@memesweeper : Awesome! Love hearing success stories with a payoff for perseverance – and I hope you have a great trip!

Actually I agree with the suggestion above: a step by step on how you pulled this all together to get such a great value redemption would be a pretty great (albeit slightly niche ) article (hint hint Rob/Rhys…). Would make a good one for a Sunday or quiet time between Xmas and New Yr perhaps?

_Tom

Sorry in advance if this has been discussed before.

When attempting to ‘manage my booking’ on the BA app, both my forthcoming flights (same day, different destinations) prompt a pop-up stating “ Due to increased uncertainty surrounding COVID-19, you may wish to change your travel plans”.

It goes on to offer me an opportunity to change my flights ‘for free’. I was about to cancel the plan B destination and commit to plan A.

Is this an indication that a cancellation (on both routes!) might be forthcoming, or is this just standard at the moment. I’ve held off cancelling for now. Obviously a BA cancellation (preferably on our plan B route!) would be better than me cancelling through choice. Should I hold out? Flights are both on Saturday.

Thanks!

Lady London

Why are old chat threads locked?

ChrisC

I doubt they would cancel a Saturday flight now

It really is BA offering to rebook you for free at a (limited)future date range if you dont want to travel.

sara

Does anything like the 3 hour ExpressTest exist in the Glasgow area? Airport, city, anything, as long as it’s PCR. Looking for the fastest possible turnaround for today (I know there’s a 3 hour Randox in Glasgow city centre but the first availability is 5th January. Are there any others?)
    Thankyou!

ChrisC

Well isn’t this just typical?

Last night I cancelled a BA holiday for next month for a voucher (deadline date as 21 days before travel) before I had to pay the balance.

Have just received a couple of emails cancelleing some of the flights which would have enabled me to get a full refund!

Be interesting to see what they do with the rest of the flights on the bookings as the new AMS-LHR leg means the rest of the flights would be impossible.

Oh well I’ll just use the FTV to pay down my next trip!

UPDATE – voucher already received. Not suee if this is BA under promising and over delivering (email said up to14 days) or as it was an ex AMS it was dealt with by the super efficient team in Bremen

pointyhead

Why are old chat threads locked?

Tell me I’m wrong but if it’s a question that would require follow up responses, it should be on its own thread – that’s the beauty of the forum!

Lyn

Morning all!

The Mrs and I recently tested positive for COVID (on Saturday), ruined our NYC trip and Christmas (We’ll survive)! Want to get away before the Mrs goes back to work on the 5th Jan and are thinking Iceland. Why? It’s beautiful and we can enter with our vaccine certificates and proof of a recent positive PCR.

Just wondering if you have checked the details for Iceland? Your “judge away” comment suggests perhaps not.

It looks as if your positive PCR has to be at least two weeks old, which would be consistent with a reasonable and normal isolation period, as one might expect.

Lyn

@memesweeper, hope you and your family enjoy your holiday in what sounds like a wonderful country. Congratulations on your persistence. I doubt if BA would begrudge you the trip!

TGLoyalty

Morning all!

The Mrs and I recently tested positive for COVID (on Saturday), ruined our NYC trip and Christmas (We’ll survive)! Want to get away before the Mrs goes back to work on the 5th Jan and are thinking Iceland. Why? It’s beautiful and we can enter with our vaccine certificates and proof of a recent positive PCR.

Just wondering if you have checked the details for Iceland? Your “judge away” comment suggests perhaps not.

It looks as if your positive PCR has to be at least two weeks old, which would be consistent with a reasonable and normal isolation period, as one might expect.

I’ve often posted that while the U.K. isolation period is 10 days (well as low as 7 now) it doesn’t mean you can travel as most will ask if you’ve had covid or been in contact with anyone with covid in the past 14 days

Tariq

Trying to pay beardy with bendy for the last few days but not going through. Is this a permanent change or something I have missed out?

Worked fine for me last night, in conjunction with Hong Kong.

JM1987

I commented the other day how BA had cancelled one of my 2for1 reward flights and rebooked me to the next day.

Am I right I thinking I can ask to be booked onto a different flight (same destination) if there is still cash availability, or does there have to be Avios availability?

Joecooljoe

Hear hear! I’m also sat in the Caribbean off a super discounted y-w ticket booked in Sept 2020 and then with a POUG to W-J booked a few days after booking (prem/club). Rearranged many times due to cancelled flights and now used for Christmas (and cheaper than an economy ticket normally is for this time of year). It took some effort to keep trying rebooking every day until ticket validity was ok, but glad I persevered!

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Thursday 23rd December’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.