Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Thursday 23rd June

Chat thread – Thursday 23rd June

Topic closed
  • YC

Simply convert reward points equivalent of up to 20,000 Avios, and collect 20% bonus Avios. You can also convert reward points equivalent to over 20,000 Avios, to collect 40% bonus Avios.

Enjoy this exclusive offer with banks including American Express, Citibank and more.

Qatar Airways have a promotional transfer

But I don’t think Qatar is a UK amex partner?

NorthernLass

British Airways workers at Heathrow vote to strike during school summer holidays

I’m going to be furious if they strand me in GCM and pay for extra hotel nights and meals 😂

SteveJ

British Airways workers at Heathrow vote to strike during school summer holidays

I’m going to be furious if they strand me in GCM and pay for extra hotel nights and meals 😂

Was thinking something similar, what is the duty of care? Presumably BA can’t argue this is “out of their control”, so rerouting on other available flights is their responsibility?

ChrisC

They have voted to strike but no strike dates have been set yet.

And if they do thay have to give 14 days notice.

NorthernLass

@Steve J – I’m pretty sure they are on the hook for re-routing/duty of care, and possibly delay/cancellation compo if it’s due to THEIR OWN staff striking. Though I would expect BA to try and blame it on Covid but I am a CEDR veteran and of course have HFP for back up!

*Obviously compo for less than 14 days’ notice.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by NorthernLass.
    paul-uk

They have voted to strike but no strike dates have been set yet.

And if they do thay have to give 14 days notice.

We obviously dont know full details, but if it IS the case that staff have not got the 10% Covid pay cut back yet (never mind a pay rise) then Im 100% with them on striking.

SamG

To the poster flying SQ – no PCR needed for the lounge. However I was reminded that it really isn’t my favourite lounge – it’s very hot and busy busy. From what I understand a combination of busy SQ flights, lots of Gold status rollovers and an offer whereby if you transferred in 250k points you were given gold status is leading to very high demand for the lounges on SQ flights. I would definately check out one of the others – United has a lot more space and light (though is potentially busy now too!) Haven’t been to Air Canada before

T2 was pretty calm around 7pm last night, couple of cancelled flights on the boards. Bags arrived! I was amazed how many people were either getting denied check in for not having a PCR or scrambling around filling out forms on their phones. Reminder to everyone that COVID theatre is still a thing elsewhere and check your entry requirements carefully. The check in chap was most relieved at my printed and organised documents!

Philondon

BBC News say “during the summer holidays” for the BA strike whereas Sky News say “school summer holidays”.

Is “Summer holidays” July, August? Or July, August, September?

ChrisC

BBC News say “during the summer holidays” for the BA strike whereas Sky News say “school summer holidays”.

Is “Summer holidays” July, August? Or July, August, September?

Englamd & Wales state school holidays are generally middle of July to end of August.

Scotland tends to run end of June to middle of August.

Philondon

But my point is, is the strike likely to be in the “summer holidays” or the “school summer holidays”?

JDB

But my point is, is the strike likely to be in the “summer holidays” or the “school summer holidays”?

They unions have only just announced the results of the ballot, but it will be at what the unions consider to be the most inconvenient time for BA (ie their passengers) so the answer is nobody knows yet, but in any event there must be a reasonable prospect of the dispute being settled and BA has already said that, if the strike goes ahead, they have a contingency plan to replace the striking staff with managers etc.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by JDB.
    Jtz

Hoping someone can help me with this, OH has 88k MR points and I have 90k, we are looking to book somewhere for September in biz class
    I noticed mr can be transferred to delta and Award hacker is showing 42.5k for business on Delta to seychelles with SaudiAirlines, I see I can transfer Amex MR to Delta, but I can’t find any flights showing on delta’s website, is this normal? There seems to be some error code

42.5k seems a good deal…part of me feels its too good to be true???

If there are any other places you could recommend open to unvaccinated, would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Sip

To the poster flying SQ – no PCR needed for the lounge. However I was reminded that it really isn’t my favourite lounge – it’s very hot and busy busy. From what I understand a combination of busy SQ flights, lots of Gold status rollovers and an offer whereby if you transferred in 250k points you were given gold status is leading to very high demand for the lounges on SQ flights. I would definately check out one of the others – United has a lot more space and light (though is potentially busy now too!) Haven’t been to Air Canada before

T2 was pretty calm around 7pm last night, couple of cancelled flights on the boards. Bags arrived! I was amazed how many people were either getting denied check in for not having a PCR or scrambling around filling out forms on their phones. Reminder to everyone that COVID theatre is still a thing elsewhere and check your entry requirements carefully. The check in chap was most relieved at my printed and organised documents!

Thanks SamG for getting reverting back on this!

I think the plan would be to go have a quick look at the SQ lounge to see whether it’s packed, then if it is, we might just move onto the United one.
    We’re there early morning.

SamG

Thanks SamG for getting reverting back on this!

I think the plan would be to go have a quick look at the SQ lounge to see whether it’s packed, then if it is, we might just move onto the United one.
    We’re there early morning.

Sounds like a plan. I think it’ll be quieter in the morning as their departures are slightly more spaced out. Enjoy your trip!

merlin90

If I book AA redemption on QR and link my BA status, assume I can get one world benefits including lounge access.

The redemption ticket will be automatically linked to your Aadvantage account. To introduce BAEC into the mix for tier benefit purposes would require a phone call and I suspect a high chance of the agent not understanding what you want to do/how to do it for you.

I would attempt to do this via Finnair, Royal Jordanian, or Royal Air Maroc. The first two have typically been the best Oneworld sites to make these changes but recently I’ve had success using the RAM site instead. You don’t need an account with these other airlines; you can take your booking reference and enter it in the “manage booking” section of the site and it should bring up your booking. What I’ve done recently is firstly remove my frequent flyer details from the booking and submit, then go back in again and enter the FF details that I want to be associated with the booking.

I did this successfully recently with two Avios bookings on BA to which I wanted to assign my AA details. I’ve no idea if you could also do this by calling but a) you’re likely to face big wait times on hold, and b) the agent may not be as helpful as you need.

BJ

Ideas requested please as I’m struggling with ideas…

We have £1.5k in BA e-vouchers that we need to use up with a view to travelling April / May next year. Happy to do 5-6 hours in economy, but equally happy to book WT or WTP and use AVIOS to upgrade.

We also have a stash of Hilton points that I’m happy to top up a little to give us 5 nights in a nice hotel.

We’re doing a lot this year and are expecting that it will be prudent to not be away from the UK for longer than 5-7 days at a stretch due to family health issues.

In such circumstances, I’d normally favour a Boston or New York trip, but we have three US east coast trips booked in for the end of the year.

I get grumpy at temperatures above 30C 🙂

Creative suggestions?

Cairo! Fabulous city to visit. Not too far for 5 night trip. Good, and cheap, Hilton options so you probably don’t need to buy more points. Hopefully BA still using longhaul metal despite sell off. Temperature should top out at high 20s in April.

davefl

If I book AA redemption on QR and link my BA status, assume I can get one world benefits including lounge access.

AA twitter team were incredbly helpful when I did this type of redemption. Tweet @americanair asking for the QR PNR for your AA PNR and you’ll get that back which is what you’ll need to access the MMB on Qatar.

Then if you can’t add your BAEC in MMB you can either ask AA via twitter again or QR directly.

AA twitter were also incredibly helpful re-instating my points and refund of charges when QR cancelled the ticket at the start of the pandemic.

roger

Thanks all for replies on my BAEC linking to QR booking with AA redemption.
    Also contemplating whether I should book on UL – Sri Lankan.
    Considering current situation in the country will it be safe / wise to transit. Not staying in country only transiting onward.

Chas

Well, got my wait list email for the party! Trying to pay for my place and it won’t let me. Endless page cogs turning and never getting anywhere on payment page. Beyond frustrating.

I hope you got it sorted Amy. Would be interesting to chat if you’re there from something you mentioned a few months ago I think you live very close to me. [trying very, very hard for this not to come across in a stalker-ish manner…..!]

BuildBackBetter

Thanks all for replies on my BAEC linking to QR booking with AA redemption.
    Also contemplating whether I should book on UL – Sri Lankan.
    Considering current situation in the country will it be safe / wise to transit. Not staying in country only transiting onward.

Transit shouldn’t be impacted, but you never know if the riots spread to the airport or the airline cannot refuel given the currency situation. I wouldn’t take the risk.

Travel Strong

I’ve slated the change in how long it takes for Amex offers to credit a fair bit – so it only seems fair to recognize the good performance today: Hilton £50 CB landed the day after the spend.

I’m sure the likes of Hilton would much rather their offers credit promptly like this, to delight and encourage uptake in the future. Hopefully it’s not just a one off.

djgr

Whilst most of September is (apparently) technically summer, I would suggest that, in common parlance, summer holidays means school holidays.

But clearly I would swerve away from using relevant carriers in any circumstances.

Harrier25

Amex shop small map not seeming to be working

Is anyone really interested in Shop Small anymore since Amex ripped the heart out of it?

George K

Amex shop small map not seeming to be working

Is anyone really interested in Shop Small anymore since Amex ripped the heart out of it?

There are still good deals about. My local drycleaner/seamstress is on the list, and just took a bag of clothes there for alterations. A bill of £60 went down to £45 with that offer alone… Can’t complain!

yorkieflyer

I would be careful of using multiple cards to to split the same bill

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Thursday 23rd June’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.