Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Thursday 23rd May

• Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,303 posts

This is today’s chat thread.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

Just Nick 17 posts

Hi all,

First post today which is great. In Doha on my way home from a slightly odd tier point run. Was meant to be London to Sofia, then to Abu Dhabi to catch the classic run to Jakarta. Sri Lankan kept cancelling flights so I stuck a pin in a map and have just been to Kolkata. It was incredible. I am sure my pound per tier point rate is catastrophic but mile per smile rate is brilliant. Thank you for suggestions yesterday for how to spend 9 hours in Sofia. Will try and find a left luggage and go explore the city more. The metro from the airport to the city is only 70 pence and is clean and safe.

Just Nick

mrhbeats 6 posts

Morning all. Thanks to the person who confirmed fast track via multi storey at Edinburgh was a good option. Through security in 5 mins and new scanners working well.
    Straight into Aspire lounge at gate 4 and it’s empty – about 2 other passengers. A good option if you are looking for some peace and quiet. Added bonus is they have a pancake machine!

Metty 87 posts

Hi all,
    Was meant to be London to Sofia, then to Abu Dhabi to catch the classic run to Jakarta. Sri Lankan kept cancelling flights so I stuck a pin in a map and have just been to Kolkata.

Just Nick

Just back from a double Abu Dhabi – Jakarta, we were lucky that there were no changes since we booked in January and all 8 sectors were on time and as good as ever. Tier Point runners seemed to be 30-50% of the business class passengers and it was good to chat!

Cat 126 posts

Hi all,

I managed to bag $25 GHA discovery dollars for staying at 2 different brands (Antalya and Avani+, both I’d already booked through Hotels.com, so the discovery dollars are a bonus). Has anyone found any way of using them, other than staying in their hotels? I’ve already booked my accommodation for this summer (island hopping around Indonesia, along with a few nights in Singapore and Hong Kong at either end), and am not ready to book anything for next year yet. I looked into spending the money in a hotel restaurant or spa as a non-guest, but apparently it’s not possible.

Has anyone got any other ideas?

ekposh 222 posts

Hi all

Random Thursday question – if you pre-clear immigration in Dublin for the US, do you still have to pick your luggage up if transiting in the US?

Cheers

Alex

DTraveller 19 posts

Hi all

Random Thursday question – if you pre-clear immigration in Dublin for the US, do you still have to pick your luggage up if transiting in the US?

Cheers

Alex

If you pre-clear and are connecting onwards in the US, your luggage will go to your final destination. You won’t need to pick it up and re-check.

aseftel 279 posts

Any recent experiences with the BA Danish Air Transport wet leases? I have an upcoming flight in ET showing, for a proper BA flight, what I would consider to be an attractive price to upgrade to CE.

ankomonkey 46 posts

Hi all,

I managed to bag $25 GHA discovery dollars for staying at 2 different brands (Antalya and Avani+, both I’d already booked through Hotels.com, so the discovery dollars are a bonus). Has anyone found any way of using them, other than staying in their hotels? I’ve already booked my accommodation for this summer (island hopping around Indonesia, along with a few nights in Singapore and Hong Kong at either end), and am not ready to book anything for next year yet. I looked into spending the money in a hotel restaurant or spa as a non-guest, but apparently it’s not possible.

I have come to the same conclusion as you, Cat. It seems it’s not possible to use them unless you’re staying, and the booking needs to be direct rather than through an OTA according to their T&Cs.

pauline 45 posts

Hi All
    Has anyone else received an e-mail from BA Future Lab (Managed by Researchbods). Is this genuine?
    thanks

davefl 1,413 posts

Hi all

Cheers

Alex

If you pre-clear and are connecting onwards in the US, your luggage will go to your final destination. You won’t need to pick it up and re-check.

Depends on the airline and ticket. Same airline, same ticket no, it’ll be tagged through.

Different tickets depdends on which alliance, Oneworld even the same airline, you’ll have to collect and recheck, Skyteam will tag through.

NorthernLass 8,262 posts

@davefl, while you’re here – I seem to be able to book reward flights on AF in the VS app, but not cash – is that normal? It would just be easier to keep all my bookings under one account.

Holmfirthfox 3 posts

Hi I’m new to all this points collecting and not sure if this is the right thread to ask a question and I can’t see how to start a chat. Can I do it here or can somebody tell me how o start a chat?

phantomchickenz 330 posts

You can ask here, but it tends to get lost in the general chatter of the day. It can be better to create a topic in one of the sub forums for specific airlines, credit cards or hotel programmes etc

davefl 1,413 posts

@davefl, while you’re here – I seem to be able to book reward flights on AF in the VS app, but not cash – is that normal? It would just be easier to keep all my bookings under one account.

Yes that’s correct. Virgin can’t sell you cash tickets on AF, just like Delta can’t sell you Virgin tickets etc unless it’s a codeshare route.

And remember those AF tickets showing may or may not be real depending on Virgin’s poor IT.

NorthernLass 8,262 posts

Thanks, I was just having a play with the system! It’s only MAN-CDG at this point, so will probably go for cash as they are cheaper than the Orange Jet and O’Leary Jet, shock horror! (Also, Beauvais, FR 🤷‍♀️)

yorkshireRich 225 posts

Bit of a daft one this probably but I can assure you I’m genuine. I am Flying Club Europe to Bucharest on Saturday and will be sampling the usual lounges beforehand. I think from the Uk I have always flown in jeans but as I’m getting the train down and want to be comfy, will shorts be okay?

TIA

Having reflected on what I’ve just wrote, I think I will stick to my trusty jeans ha

Paul 146 posts

Heathrow rewards just sent this:

“ Enhance your Heathrow experience with Fast Track security
    We’re thrilled to announce Fast Track security is back. You can now pre‑book to get your journey off to a swift start, leaving you more time to shop, dine, and relax, ahead of your flight.

Book a slot from the available 1 hour windows. This should be no less than two hours before your flight is scheduled to depart.

I mean what’s the bloody point of fast track if it must be more than 2 hours before departure for a flight to Manchester. It’s truly pathetic and testament to the dire state of LHR.

In all my years of membership I don’t think I have ever had a usable deal from Heathrow Rewards.

TooPoorToBeHere 267 posts

Bit of a daft one this probably but I can assure you I’m genuine. I am Flying Club Europe to Bucharest on Saturday and will be sampling the usual lounges beforehand. I think from the Uk I have always flown in jeans but as I’m getting the train down and want to be comfy, will shorts be okay?

Zip-off-leg trousers are the way forward for warm weather travel. Lounge might be warm, aircraft will probably be freezing, and they help for the “step out of over-air-conditioned-terminal into boiling hot cab queue/station” thing.

NorthernLass 8,262 posts

Just a word of warning if you’re connecting from MAN, @YorkshireRich, the scanners have been known to take exception to those zips!

AJA 1,128 posts

@YorkshireRich Shorts are perfectly acceptable attire even in Club World let alone CE. I’d avoid running shorts though and don’t really think flip flops are acceptable footwear although I have seen someone wearing them before now. I say this from a safety perspective as you really want something sturdy if you need to evacuate in an emergency.

HampshireHog 137 posts

In such an event wouldn’t plastic pants be more appropriate than shorts?

BBbetter 775 posts

I mean what’s the bloody point of fast track if it must be more than 2 hours before departure for a flight

Perfect time for a lounge visit.

zapato1060 720 posts

Hi I’m new to all this points collecting and not sure if this is the right thread to ask a question and I can’t see how to start a chat. Can I do it here or can somebody tell me how o start a chat?

Welcome. You’ve got hours of reading at your disposal above. Hfp Uni is a great start as I learned off of (off off?) that.

Hbommie 218 posts

Hi all,

Did the x2 stays qualify towards Titanium status? If so then just one more for some useful benefits.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Thursday 23rd May’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.