Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Thursday 23rd May

• yorkshireRich 225 posts

Thanks all. I’m definitely not a running shorts kind of guy. Just plain boring smart-ish ones.

Hi NL, I’m getting the LNER train down. I did think when I booked it that the train would be quiet but as there is the Fa cup final on, and Leeds will playing the day after, the train may not as quiet as I would have hoped.

NorthernLass 8,262 posts

So not a TP run then?

yorkshireRich 225 posts

So not a TP run then?

narr, I’m currently silver and that’s probably me for a while after it expires.
    I will probably wait until I’m older and kid free, or I’m in retirement. I’m way off, but I’ve had a good run nevertheless.

I’ve actually booked on avios on Saturday then flying back on Wizz Air back into Leeds Bradford. I’m making most of my ambassador certificate, so staying at the Athenee Palace .

jumpersforgoalposts 53 posts

Evening all,

Any recommendations for a hotels in Newcastle for a weekend stay? Ideally combining with the many AMEX plat/PP offers would be ideal.

yorkshireRich 225 posts

Can’t go wrong with the Crowne Plaza

AnotherUser 193 posts

Found the Staybridge Suites in Newcastle excellent – great staff, nice rooms (some with great views), and surprisingly good free breakfast. Free coffee and space to sit in the lobby. Apartments a good bit bigger than a hotel room for the price would be.

Depends what you want, of course – you’ll get more luxurious and more central hotels in the city.

LD27 202 posts

So not a TP run then?

narr, I’m currently silver and that’s probably me for a while after it expires.
    I will probably wait until I’m older and kid free, or I’m in retirement. I’m way off, but I’ve had a good run nevertheless.

I’ve actually booked on avios on Saturday then flying back on Wizz Air back into Leeds Bradford. I’m making most of my ambassador certificate, so staying at the Athenee Palace .

Hope you enjoy your stay in Bucharest/Athenee Palace. I’m going in two weeks. Staying three nights at Athenee Palace before going to Brasov and on to Cluj to see friend. Couldn’t face Wizz Air return, so driving back to Bucharest with friend. Any tips on hotel, Bucharest please share.

Enjoy your weekend.

PeteM 778 posts

Alina is a wonderful guide in Bucharest: https://www.wheninbucharest.com/

tw33ty 206 posts

Find the cp rooms very big if your diamond with ihg, plus i find it’s often cheaper than the stay bridge

phantomchickenz 330 posts

Economy vs Business

https://www.businesstraveller.com/opinion/why-business-isnt-better/

A slightly bizarre take, that all becomes clear with the editors note.

Stu_N 117 posts

@jumpersforgoalposts as quote isn’t working.

Hampton opposite the station is a zoo – avoid. Hilton Gateshead fine but quite dull.

We usually go to Innside on the quays – if you have Amex plat you’re Melia Gold and you’ll almost certainly get a good upgrade and excellent rates if you book direct. Haven’t tried any of the IHG options.

Richie 1,039 posts

@phantomchickenz Others should read the editor’s note at the bottom first.

AndrewT 134 posts

So what we’re saying is that the AI system isn’t clever enough to know when someone is taking the p*ss.

Cat 126 posts

I have come to the same conclusion as you, Cat. It seems it’s not possible to use them unless you’re staying, and the booking needs to be direct rather than through an OTA according to their T&Cs.

That’s annoying. I suppose it’s always useful to have the points there, in case i miss a boat or something…

@Hbommie
    sadly not – I’m still on 0/2 nights for moving up to Gold!

Paul 146 posts

But if you have access to a lounge you have fast track too!

Erico1875 144 posts

Re Newcastle.
    We always stay at Meliá on Quayside.
    As Gold, with 20% off, rates are usually good too.
    Although not part of Plat Dining Credit, Gino D’Acampo has always been good.
    If you can get a half board option for one night,even better, they have a special 3 course menu

0 post

So what we’re saying is that the AI system isn’t clever enough to know when someone is taking the p*ss.

I think what you should have written was ” Some people aren’t clever enough to know when AI is taking the p*ss”

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Thursday 23rd May’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.