Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Thursday 24th November

Chat thread – Thursday 24th November

Topic closed
  • VALittleRed

Can anybody tell me which is the best lounge at Gatwick South? There obviously lots of reviews but no league table.

Thanks

If you have access, the BA lounge is actually good.

Is the food good? Is it a better offering than at LHR or the other Gatwick South Lounges?

BA Flyer IHG Stayer

Given the probnlems some people are having with the likes of priority pass and not getting access the ‘best’ lounge may be the one that lets you in.

As for the BA lounge the menu is essentially the same as the LHR one/ I’ve always thought it was pretty good.

yorkshireRich

Currently arrived at the le quartier francias in Franchoek SA. We made use of the 200 pound off on the Amex travel, and have been upgraded to a suit which I can only describe as almost as big as my house. Very impressed

AB29

The food in the BA lounge is the same. It’s just a bit more lounge, a bit less cattle shed. It’s splitting hairs but I just find it to be a better experience and that was a pleasant surprise.

I can’t say I’m terribly impressed with the No.1 lounge – fairly average food, crowded and noisy. It is a fairly decent airy space though.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer

BA Sale has finally landed

Have posted detailes and a link to the BA site here

https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/topic/black-friday-sale-2020/

(ignore the fact is says 2020 in the link. The thread on the BA board is correct)

Andrew.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Roast turkey with all the trimmings from the canteen today. £5.50

BJ

Pumpkin pie to follow??

conspicuous-capybara

Happy Thanksgiving to our resident Americans!

What’s Gatwick South like at the crack of dawn these days? Got a 6am flight on Monday, HBO and fast-track security. Wondering how close I can cut it without stressing—would arriving at 4.30 be sufficient?

Richie

The first wave of Wizz air’s A321s take alot of passengers, I’d go for 4.15.

TedL

Heading off in a week on BA15 to SYD in CS, obviously not a lot of time in SIN but which lounge is best to try?

terry1968

Looking at using Avios on Qatar from Manchester to Hanoi . Business class return in March is coming in at 300k Avios . It was 150k when i last travelled this route – what the hell happened?!

conspicuous-capybara

The first wave of Wizz air’s A321s take alot of passengers, I’d go for 4.15.

Good intel – thank you.

SamG

Heading off in a week on BA15 to SYD in CS, obviously not a lot of time in SIN but which lounge is best to try?

Qatar is supposed to be best

Roberto

The Qantas Platinum Lounge was great , good bar – bright and open. The BA lounge which is near enough next door up the next escalater is not a pretty/bright but does have self service food where as the Qantas lounge has a sit down (and served) resturant. So if you’re short of time and hungry I would choose the Ba. If your looking for a drink go to the Qantas.

I used both last week as well as the First area (the Club) in the Ba lounge. That’s very dark but nice to tick off my i-spy book of lounges.

The qantas lounge did have 2 types of IPA beer both of which I tried for research purposes. I also enjoyed the sauvignon blanc there.

The lounges are a 10 minute walk from the gate pretty much opposite the Boss shop , you can’t miss them.

Feel free to get back if you have any other questions.

Have a great trip..

BJ

Looking at using Avios on Qatar from Manchester to Hanoi . Business class return in March is coming in at 300k Avios . It was 150k when i last travelled this route – what the hell happened?!

Standard reward sears are nit available so they are offering you a seat at twicevthe price. Noticed this a lot to SE Asia if late. Also, be aware that there have been quite a few recent repirts if Qatar downgrading those on reward seats where business was overbooked. If the CX flight from MAN returns I would try pricing up that, CX are better than QR IME anyway. Just book it as two one way from MAN to get lowest fees and fo LCC for the short connection.

Lumma

10am flight tomorrow from Heathrow. I see there are some closures of TFL stations – Heathrow stations included, I was thinking of taking the Lizzy line from Bond street. Is anyone else in a similar position keen to hear your plans. Thank you

Also now a note from Virgin –
    We’re getting in touch to advise you that due to industrial action, there will be no Heathrow Express services on 26 November 2022. Please seek alternative methods of travel to and from London Heathrow airport.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you, however we can’t wait to welcome you onboard and we hope you have a pleasant flight with us.

It’s only the tube stations that may be affected tomorrow. Elizabeth line and Heathrow Express will be running as normal

Rob
    HfP Staff

The food in the BA lounge is the same. It’s just a bit more lounge, a bit less cattle shed. It’s splitting hairs but I just find it to be a better experience and that was a pleasant surprise.

I can’t say I’m terribly impressed with the No.1 lounge – fairly average food, crowded and noisy. It is a fairly decent airy space though.

My Lounge isn’t bad either.

Rob
    HfP Staff

@Rob, I can’t reach this thread through the daily article that has “click here for today’s thread”.

Fixed, thanks.

Harrier25

Hi. I made an offer on a pair of trainers on ebay through the make an offer tab on a “buy it now” listing. Offer accepted. I’ve registered for the bf power hour. When I pay for trainers at 12.10, I’ll qualify for the enhanced nectar? Furthermore, could I pay with nectar and qualify. The cost includes free postage.

You can’t pay with nectar, has to be PayPal, credit/debit card etc.

Nonsense. Paying with redeemed Nectar points won’t prevent you from being awarded the additional 30x points between midday and 1pm tomorrow.

JS

Hi
    Re the paypal offer, I had spent it on Oct 31 after 11 which is recipe for dissaster but I was running late….
    The date on my statment is Oct 31 after contacting Amex this is what they wrote to me
    Doews that make any sense?

This is the wording on the terms

”Spend must be billed to your card by 31 October 2022 to be eligible for this offer. If PayPal does not charge your Card during this period, e.g. because of a delay in dispatching your goods, you may not be eligible for the offer.”

Yes, I have checked your account, and I am very sorry, however, the transaction is not valid as it was claimed by the merchant on 1st Nov 2022 and the offer end date is 31st October 2022. That is why it is not eligible against the offer credit.

I can see that the charge was approved from our end on 31st October however it was claimed by the merchant and posted on 1st Nov.

Thanks

kevin

Do we actually know that the elizabeth line isn‘t affected? Isn‘t i served from a tube station as well?

10am flight tomorrow from Heathrow. I see there are some closures of TFL stations – Heathrow stations included, I was thinking of taking the Lizzy line from Bond street. Is anyone else in a similar position keen to hear your plans. Thank you

We’re getting in touch to advise you that due to industrial action, there will be no Heathrow Express services on 26 November 2022. Please seek alternative methods of travel to and from London Heathrow airport.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you, however we can’t wait to welcome you onboard and we hope you have a pleasant flight with us.

It’s only the tube stations that may be affected tomorrow. Elizabeth line and Heathrow Express will be running as normal

BA Flyer IHG Stayer

Friday is the 25th

Saturday is the 26th. HEX on strike. lizzie is operating

As per

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/industrialaction.aspx

davedent

If I fly into Doha in first and out in business can I still use the first lounge and is it worth it – thanks folks !

BA Flyer IHG Stayer

If I fly into Doha in first and out in business can I still use the first lounge and is it worth it – thanks folks !

Which airline is this with?

The Original Nick

Hi all – I’ll be visiting The First Wing and Lounge at T5 next Saturday. I have been to the lounge only once before and that was before the you know what. Next Saturday I’ll be there via my Gold status with my parents who are now Gold but it’ll be their first ever time in there. Can anyone confirm if the champayne bar is still there and what champaynes are available in the lounge? Thanks, Nick. We’ll be there around 11am.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Thursday 24th November’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.