Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Thursday 26th January

Chat thread – Thursday 26th January

• Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

polly

Good morning from Bali. Woke up to a fabulous tropical rain storm. But since there is no thunder and lightning, swim, we must. Only way we can justify the breakfast, esp the banana fritters….

Bet it’s still gorgeous over there at Laamu, @Strickers

Go197

I’d like to know more about seat maps please.

Is a blocked seat also (by definition) currently unoccupied?

If availability shows as J9 C9 D9 etc, and the seat map shows 4 available seats and 14 blocked, does that suggest there are 18 seats currently either unsold or sold but unallocated?

If the seat next to me is blocked does that suggest that the algorithm is trying to help me out as a solo traveller and if all those 18 seats or 9+ tickets don’t fill up in the next day then I might have an empty seat next to me?

Is that algorithm what “Theoretical Seating” refers to, and is that only a BA thing or is there the same or similar on QR?

Thanks for educating me

ClaireF

Hope you have a fabulous time Polly. We are going there in August so any tips would be most welcome. We are staying at the melia. Will probably try to get a local driver for one of the days if you have any recommendations.

strickers

@polly Whatever the weather the holiday must go on, two more full days here then a week at the mystery hotel, IC Chennai. Hope the thunderstorms abate, if not then I’m sure some cocktails later will help?

Michael C

Hope you have a fabulous time Polly. We are going there in August so any tips would be most welcome. We are staying at the melia. Will probably try to get a local driver for one of the days if you have any recommendations.

Hi, @ClaireF – we also hope to be there early Aug., but more importantly, have stayed at the Meliá many times! Very lovely, and yes, a long day away with a driver is definitely the way forward (don’t have any numbers as it’s been a while, sorry). We tend to do Ubud one day (if not staying there) then Uluwatu another.

Cute buffet/dance evening at the Grand Hyatt on (I think!) Saturday evenings.

hugog

Hi
    Does anyone know if ba silver travelling on economy gets priority security at Manchester?

BuildBackBetter

@polly Whatever the weather the holiday must go on, two more full days here then a week at the mystery hotel, IC Chennai. Hope the thunderstorms abate, if not then I’m sure some cocktails later will help?

Let us know how the IC is, Strickers! Hope you have a good time. I just can’t find any availability there, though it’s mainly weekends am looking for.

Cranzle

Would there be any concern if I applied for 4 supplementary cards for P2 on various Amex cards where I am the main cardholder all on the same day and then perhaps a new credit card application from another provider for myself and a new Amex Card for P2?

I am slightly concerned about too many credit checks.

strickers

@BuildBackBetter Will do, I booked it as soon as the dates were released and have seen only very limited availability since.

Michael C

Just in case anyone else has made reservations way in advance: I “cleverly” did
    a Prem. Gatwick North (cancellable) reservation about 10 months in advance…and have just seen it’s now
    30 quid cheaper on fully flex!

BA Flyer IHG Stayer

@MichaelC

That’s standard practice for many of us to regularly check such bookings and cancel and rebook when it turns out cheaper. On occasion

I saved $ 300 just after Christmas in my New York Hotel because of this. And that was after an earlier $309 saved in November.

Michael C

@MichaelC

That’s standard practice for many of us to regularly check such bookings and cancel and rebook when it turns out cheaper. On occasion

I saved $ 300 just after Christmas in my New York Hotel because of this. And that was after an earlier $309 saved in November.

Good catches! I do it for “bigger” places but guess never really thought Prem. pricing was that dynamic.
    Even better, just found Sofitel prestige club suite for 60 quid more!

dougzz99

If availability shows as J9 C9 D9 etc, and the seat map shows 4 available seats and 14 blocked, does that suggest there are 18 seats currently either unsold or sold but unallocated?

If the seat next to me is blocked does that suggest that the algorithm is trying to help me out as a solo traveller and if all those 18 seats or 9+ tickets don’t fill up in the next day then I might have an empty seat next to me?

Is that algorithm what “Theoretical Seating” refers to, and is that only a BA thing or is there the same or similar on QR?

Thanks for educating me

Yes, blocked are unoccupied. But it could be blocked as inoperable, in which case it may subsequently be occupied by a person on staff travel.

I don’t think you can link fare bucket availability to a seat map. Airlines oversell, and lots of people don’t book seats.

As best I’m aware theoretical seating is a BA thing. It blocks seats next to Gold’s, but only until the flight comes under airport control.

gtellez

Does BA sell upgrades from Business to First at the airport? If so, how much does it usually ask for it?
    Flying today to HKG (using avios), I kept checking until yesterday to see if First class avios tickets open up, but no luck. However according to Seat Alerts by Expertflyer, there are still 4 seats unassigned (although I recognise it is still quite early and more people could do the check in). If reasonable price, I would be really interested in trying first for once in my life (flown many time business with different airlines, but never first)

BA Flyer IHG Stayer

Yes they do but not always but no harm in asking.

No idea how much HKG would be but they wanted £700 for LHR-JFK a couple of weeks ago.

mmcg

The recent IHG promotion is asking me for a promotion code to sign up for it. Anyone know where I can find this?

BA Flyer IHG Stayer

Thanks for educating me

TS does not help solo travellers. It’s designed to help top tier elites have an empty seat next to them on short haul.

There is no relation between seat maps and what they are prepared to sell.

When Ef shows J9,C9, D9 etc it means they are prepared to sell 9 seats in the cabin and their lower fare buckets are still available. You don’t add the different buckets up and go “aha they are 27 empty seats”

Airlines block seats for all sorts of reasons. Bassinet rows will show as blocked for example. Seats that may be required for crew rest will also show as blocked. Row one will be blocked off for golds and will only show on the BA seat map as available if you are gold for example.

GillyDee

Recommendations please. I’m suffering from backpack shame; my old Quechua is looking very shabby and I’d like to upgrade it. Our holidays are generally a mix of dawn to dusk birding followed by a few days in a “naice” hotel -so something smart enough for hotels like the Four Seasons but robust enough for chucking in a dugout canoe ….

Thanks

Andrew.

Any thoughts or experiences with “Love Holidays”? Spotted a few flight+hotel+hold luggage deals that look too good to be true. Eg USA, direct flights, 5 nights in named downtown Hilton hotel for £400(ish).

Looking at the flying within the next 4 weeks with a mate end of the risk spectrum.

malteser

Anyone stayed at the Moxy Lisbon? Have a few Marriott points that I would like to use and we are there for 2 nights and will be out most of the day sightseeing. Just be good to know if hotel is in a good location, clean and not too noisy. Thanks

JDB

Recommendations please. I’m suffering from backpack shame; my old Quechua is looking very shabby and I’d like to upgrade it. Our holidays are generally a mix of dawn to dusk birding followed by a few days in a “naice” hotel -so something smart enough for hotels like the Four Seasons but robust enough for chucking in a dugout canoe ….

Thanks

We swear by Kipling for cases, hand luggage and backpacks – they are practical, well designed, have stood the test of time. remaining presentable in smart hotels despite having also been chucked into boats and worse. They have a huge range so you can get the right combination of size, outside/inside pockets etc.

PS we aren’t really birders at all, but do really enjoy seeing birds and animals in their natural habitats. Maybe a bit noddy for you, but we went to the Berg River estuary (at Velddrif) in South Africa and were completely blown away by the range of birds (some seemingly quite rare/shy) and sheer quantity we saw in a couple of hours on the river in a boat and the next morning on the bank by our lodge.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer

Any thoughts or experiences with “Love Holidays”? Spotted a few flight+hotel+hold luggage deals that look too good to be true. Eg USA, direct flights, 5 nights in named downtown Hilton hotel for £400(ish).

Looking at the flying within the next 4 weeks with a mate end of the risk spectrum.

I’d they look too good to be true they probably are.

Does that cost include any resort fees for example as can be quite pricy.

What do the various review sites say about them?

GGriffiths

Sorry if this is somewhere on the site but havent been able to find it.

We have a platinum card and signed up during the period there was the £200 travel credit after completion of your bonus target. Does anyone know how we can check this is now available and does anyone know the process of how to spend it?

Thanks

GG

Richie

Anyone stayed at the Moxy Lisbon? Have a few Marriott points that I would like to use and we are there for 2 nights and will be out most of the day sightseeing. Just be good to know if hotel is in a good location, clean and not too noisy. Thanks

@Rhys has, there’s a review on HfP somewhere.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.