Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Thursday 28th April

Chat thread – Thursday 28th April

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

duggie1982

Waiting on a curve fronted fee to be charged, my fronted selection is turned off as no longer have curve metal subscription (still have the metal card to use for another 2 years until it expires, but no fee). The underlying card has been charged and no longer pending, been a few days at least, can i be happy enough i wont get a charge in like a few days time since its cleared and only the value (£5) is showing without the 7 and a half pence charge coming in further down the line?

lm2804

Had a LHR to TLS weekend trip disrupted by BA having recieved notification that the TLS to LHR leg has been cancelled.

Is there any way I can make this play out in my favour? They do have another return flight but is much earlier in the day and thus not great given it’s a weekend trip. My hotel is booked and not refundable so a date change won’t work.

Chance of them paying for an additional night in a hotel so I can go earlier / leave later and not feel hard done by? Chance of shifting the cancelled return leg to another starting airport (e.g. CDG to LHR) so I can rebook my original return on another carrier and use the cancelled flight elsewhere on another date? I suspect the answers to these are a firm no but just wanting to see if I’ve any options before simply cancelling and booking on Easyjet.

jdbeds

DP on Bicester Village: went on Tuesday, first time ever. I used valet parking via HSBC WE (they kindly reserved a space for me even though I only emailed them the previous evening). The accompanying hands free shopping was very useful. It was really quiet when I arrived (9:30ish), certainly got steadily busier but nothing approaching hell on earth. Just prior to departure I took my receipts to the concierge and she knew exactly what I was talking about and happily credited the Avios to me. I was made to show each CC I’d used. I was also very impressed by the in store stock levels and presentation. All in all a very positive experience.

Cranzle

DP on Bicester Village: went on Tuesday, first time ever. I used valet parking via HSBC WE (they kindly reserved a space for me even though I only emailed them the previous evening). The accompanying hands free shopping was very useful. It was really quiet when I arrived (9:30ish), certainly got steadily busier but nothing approaching hell on earth. Just prior to departure I took my receipts to the concierge and she knew exactly what I was talking about and happily credited the Avios to me. I was made to show each CC I’d used. I was also very impressed by the in store stock levels and presentation. All in all a very positive experience.

It’s certainly quieter now that Tax Free shopping for international visitors has been abolished.
    Did you receive a reply to your email to book valet parking?

Heath85

Data point
    Checked in to the Royal Senses Resort in Crete
    The room rate was £160 per night or 47k Hilton points for a basic room.
    Chose to pay with points and get the 5th night free.
    On arrival being a diamond I got upgraded to a suite that was over £350 per night when I cross checked.
    So all in all I used 188k Hilton points for £1750s worth of value
    Diamond upgrades really do pay well when using points.

To dare is to do

Data point
    On arrival being a diamond I got upgraded to a suite that was over £350 per night when I cross checked.

We are planning on booking this hotel for next spring so any advice/observations are welcome. We are going to book a room with private pool.

AET

Do AMEX cashback offers stack up? For example, if I were to use the current Regent Street cashback offer would that stack up with a Hawes & Curtis offer on the same card if I were to hit the spend targer for both? I think in the past there were similar precedents for Covent Garden shops, but I don’t remember seeing anyone report a stack. Thanks for the help!

meta

Had a LHR to TLS weekend trip disrupted by BA having recieved notification that the TLS to LHR leg has been cancelled.

Is there any way I can make this play out in my favour? They do have another return flight but is much earlier in the day and thus not great given it’s a weekend trip. My hotel is booked and not refundable so a date change won’t work.

Chance of them paying for an additional night in a hotel so I can go earlier / leave later and not feel hard done by? Chance of shifting the cancelled return leg to another starting airport (e.g. CDG to LHR) so I can rebook my original return on another carrier and use the cancelled flight elsewhere on another date? I suspect the answers to these are a firm no but just wanting to see if I’ve any options before simply cancelling and booking on Easyjet.

They’ll pay for additional night plus food expenses (excl. alcohol) and if the cancellation is within 14 days, 400 euros per person in compensation.

Heath85

Data point

We are planning on booking this hotel for next spring so any advice/observations are welcome. We are going to book a room with private pool.

You will love it 🙂
    The resort itself is lovely
    A huge plus is one of the main pools is heated to a very comfortable temperature
    The private pools in each suite aren’t all heated I was told by management that only half of the villas with private pools are heated so I’d check to see if the room you’re allocated has the heated pool.
    Also most private pools aren’t fully private as there is a walk way that runs just past each one and u do get the odd staff member walking past sporadically.
    I think only the Royal villa is totally private.

Honest opinion though, I wouldn’t book one (I’d take a free upgrade though for sure) as the main pools are so nice and have so much space around them that we’ve spent most of the day enjoying them.

Also we hired a car the taxi cost from the airport was £160 return and we got quoted £120 to hire a car for the whole week so it was a bit of a no brainer and have enjoyed looking around the island.

Junior

Thanks to @Rob and Guernsey Globetrotter – I took the plunge and bought the ALL business card yesterday. Off to the delights of Novotel Breda today for a couple of days, will see how it works out!

malteser

Morning, so our flight to Zurich has been cancelled. Looking to rebook and the best times is now LCY. The return flight from ZUrich was in business – only seats available with avios but as it is to LCY & small plane we would be happy with Economy. Can we ask to be mvoed to economy and get a refund on points and cash?
    The flight is v expensive and no avios redemption so cancelling and rebooking not an option.

Ruralite

Had new diamond status recognised when I checked in to Voco Glasgow yesterday & free breakfast offered for the whole stay. Upgraded to top floor room with treats (caramel bars and tunnocks tea cakes 😋), a thank you note left for loyalty and a good view over the city. Have to say though the standard double is SMALL, room fine for just me and everything I need but if OH was here the small bed would be a tight squeeze!

AJA

Morning, so our flight to Zurich has been cancelled. Looking to rebook and the best times is now LCY. The return flight from ZUrich was in business – only seats available with avios but as it is to LCY & small plane we would be happy with Economy. Can we ask to be mvoed to economy and get a refund on points and cash?
    The flight is v expensive and no avios redemption so cancelling and rebooking not an option.

You don’t need Avios availability of BA cancelled your flight. There only has to be seats available in the same class. If the LCy flight still has business for sale you can be rebooked onto that flight for free.

Also if cancellation is notified in less than 14 days you may be entitled to compensation if there aren’t extraordinary circumstances.

Don’t just accept a refund

Guernsey Globetrotter

Thanks to @Rob and Guernsey Globetrotter – I took the plunge and bought the ALL business card yesterday. Off to the delights of Novotel Breda today for a couple of days, will see how it works out!

You’re welcome @Junior – tips are what this place is all about! I felt I got value out of my business ‘card’ Gold membership- Accor are decent at status recognition and I always got some sort of worthwhile upgrade. The drinks vouchers are welcome too – If you use yours for a Breda lager then you will be drinking the favourite beer of the island of Guernsey – Cheers 🙂

To dare is to do

Data point

You will love it 🙂
    The resort itself is lovely
    A huge plus is one of the main pools is heated to a very comfortable temperature
    The private pools in each suite aren’t all heated I was told by management that only half of the villas with private pools are heated so I’d check to see if the room you’re allocated has the heated pool.
    Also most private pools aren’t fully private as there is a walk way that runs just past each one and u do get the odd staff member walking past sporadically.
    I think only the Royal villa is totally private.

Honest opinion though, I wouldn’t book one (I’d take a free upgrade though for sure) as the main pools are so nice and have so much space around them that we’ve spent most of the day enjoying them.

Also we hired a car the taxi cost from the airport was £160 return and we got quoted £120 to hire a car for the whole week so it was a bit of a no brainer and have enjoyed looking around the island.

Thanks that’s great info, I won’t be hiring a car I detest driving at best of times. It’s my daughter in law who fancies the private pool I’ll show her this post.
    Have a fantastic trip.

davedent

When is the next HN Amex plat credit available ?

Just Nick

BA no longer my favourite airline. They have cancelled my flight to Glasgow 15 days in advance to avoid EC261 compensation. I understand the difficulties they are facing and accept that things may have to change. What grinds my gears is that they are making me call them for any change or refund options. With such long wait times on the phone, and no guarantees of any call being answered, why not give me the ability to do things online. BA are such a pain!!!

harley

They have also done this to me at 8 days prior to flight, I had to bring forward the holiday as the return flight was much earlier. I think they have been very clever cancelling the late flights as it means everyone booking onto earlier flights which having read EC261 means no compensation is allowed ( for earlier arrivals) which means i have lost out on a longer holiday and compensation

ChrisC

BA no longer my favourite airline. They have cancelled my flight to Glasgow 15 days in advance to avoid EC261 compensation. I understand the difficulties they are facing and accept that things may have to change. What grinds my gears is that they are making me call them for any change or refund options. With such long wait times on the phone, and no guarantees of any call being answered, why not give me the ability to do things online. BA are such a pain!!!

The regulation was designed to make airlines give as mich notice as possible to passengers when cancelling flights so in this case the regulation is working as intended. Remember before the regulation came into being in 2004 you wold have got nothing even for an on the day cancellation.

Are you not able to change the flights ib MMB? The ability to do so may not appear instantly on cancellation of the original flight so it pays to wait a short while before trying.

NorthernLass

My MAN-LHR-BOS was cancelled a few months ago but unusually I could move it to a later flight the same day via MMB which is unusual for a flight with a domestic connection IME. So it’s always worth waiting a bit and trying.

MiddleEngland

Hi. I have been through the ITA Volare status match, TAP Gold to Volare Executive. I still have not being officially notified or my card updated. Am I alone?

pointyhead

Airtime Rewards code BONUS2 gives you £2 bonus for a £10+ purchase before 12pm tomorrow

pointyhead

I’ve got a Nectar promo on my ebay account – 4x bonus points when spending £10+ on one item by 1st May.

Some of the terms:
    The bonus Nectar points that you receive will vary from promotion to promotion. As an example only, the promotion offer could be ‘100 bonus Nectar points’ or ‘triple Nectar points’.
    You can collect up to 300 Nectar points per eligible item, but this limit is increased in line with the promotion. For example – if you purchase an item for £500.00 (and so would collect a maximum of 300 base Nectar points) and have a bonus points offer enabling you to collect double Nectar points, you will collect 600 Nectar points in total.

jdbeds

It’s certainly quieter now that Tax Free shopping for international visitors has been abolished.
    Did you receive a reply to your email to book valet parking?

First thing the following morning ie the morning I was arriving. I was most impressed.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Thursday 28th April’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.