Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Thursday 28th April

Chat thread – Thursday 28th April

Topic closed
  • meta

They have also done this to me at 8 days prior to flight, I had to bring forward the holiday as the return flight was much earlier. I think they have been very clever cancelling the late flights as it means everyone booking onto earlier flights which having read EC261 means no compensation is allowed ( for earlier arrivals) which means i have lost out on a longer holiday and compensation

Had a LHR to TLS weekend trip disrupted by BA having recieved notification that the TLS to LHR leg has been cancelled.

Is there any way I can make this play out in my favour? They do have another return flight but is much earlier in the day and thus not great given it’s a weekend trip. My hotel is booked and not refundable so a date change won’t work.

Chance of them paying for an additional night in a hotel so I can go earlier / leave later and not feel hard done by? Chance of shifting the cancelled return leg to another starting airport (e.g. CDG to LHR) so I can rebook my original return on another carrier and use the cancelled flight elsewhere on another date? I suspect the answers to these are a firm no but just wanting to see if I’ve any options before simply cancelling and booking on Easyjet.

I’d go to MCOL for earlier arrival and test it out with the UK court. The ruling in December 2021 by ECJ means that earlier flights (more than 60 minutes earlier than original schedule) means that it is eligible for compensation. Given that it is EU to UK, I’d ask the judge to consider it despite thus being post-Brexit ruling and judges can consult new rulings, but not obliged to follow them. You can bring the case either in the place of departure or arrival as per pre-Brexit rulings. BA might not want to test it and the MCOL fees are likely to be smaller than for long haul.

Also you have the right to be booked on the following flight under article 8 (3) and since it’s 8 days before that they cancelled, you also have the right to 400 euros compensation as per article 7. You were put on a different flight, end of.

• This reply was modified 52 years, 6 months ago by .
    Andrew.

BA no longer my favourite airline. They have cancelled my flight to Glasgow 15 days in advance to avoid EC261 compensation. I understand the difficulties they are facing and accept that things may have to change. What grinds my gears is that they are making me call them for any change or refund options. With such long wait times on the phone, and no guarantees of any call being answered, why not give me the ability to do things online. BA are such a pain!!!

Depending on what time of day and where your final destination is, just have the flight switched to EDI instead. Tram to Edinburgh Park then there’s 3-4 trains an hour to Glasgow. Although if you do that you are probably just as well to take the train direct from Euston to Glasgow in 4h30m.

Reney

DP on Bicester Village: went on Tuesday, first time ever. I used valet parking via HSBC WE (they kindly reserved a space for me even though I only emailed them the previous evening). The accompanying hands free shopping was very useful. It was really quiet when I arrived (9:30ish), certainly got steadily busier but nothing approaching hell on earth. Just prior to departure I took my receipts to the concierge and she knew exactly what I was talking about and happily credited the Avios to me. I was made to show each CC I’d used. I was also very impressed by the in store stock levels and presentation. All in all a very positive experience.

Is the valent parking free? Can you post a link to this benefit. I never knew this and go there often, would make a big difference for me.

lm2804

They have also done this to me at 8 days prior to flight, I had to bring forward the holiday as the return flight was much earlier. I think they have been very clever cancelling the late flights as it means everyone booking onto earlier flights which having read EC261 means no compensation is allowed ( for earlier arrivals) which means i have lost out on a longer holiday and compensation

Had a LHR to TLS weekend trip disrupted by BA having recieved notification that the TLS to LHR leg has been cancelled.

Is there any way I can make this play out in my favour? They do have another return flight but is much earlier in the day and thus not great given it’s a weekend trip. My hotel is booked and not refundable so a date change won’t work.

Chance of them paying for an additional night in a hotel so I can go earlier / leave later and not feel hard done by? Chance of shifting the cancelled return leg to another starting airport (e.g. CDG to LHR) so I can rebook my original return on another carrier and use the cancelled flight elsewhere on another date? I suspect the answers to these are a firm no but just wanting to see if I’ve any options before simply cancelling and booking on Easyjet.

I’d go to MCOL for earlier arrival and test it out with the UK court. The ruling in December 2021 by ECJ means that earlier flights (more than 60 minutes earlier than original schedule) means that it is eligible for compensation. Given that it is EU to UK, I’d ask the judge to consider it despite thus being post-Brexit ruling and judges can consult new rulings, but not obliged to follow them. You can bring the case either in the place of departure or arrival as per pre-Brexit rulings. BA might not want to test it and the MCOL fees are likely to be smaller than for long haul.

Also you have the right to be booked on the following flight under article 8 (3) and since it’s 8 days before that they cancelled, you also have the right to 400 euros compensation as per article 7. You were put on a different flight, end of.

Thanks for the response. My departure is in May but frustratingly is more than 14 days out, am I pretty much out of luck?

Tracey

Just checked in for a Vueling flight tomorrow and it allowed me to book seats for the return as well as the outbound.

Still don’t know whether the tickets as part of a BA Holiday include checked luggage or not!

DonLee

BOSTON/New York to London return with BA J for as low as £770

achoogirl

BOSTON/New York to London return with BA J for as low as £770

where?

Lady London

If you can’t make any earlier flight then get them to put you on the next one. If that’s the following day then they are responsible for your additional night’s hotel expenses and reasonable local cost for that and meals during your extra wait time. Give them the chance to provide this – if they don’t then you will have to extend your stay, potentially staying in same hotel as you were if it’s reasonable cost for that location.

Then after your flight home submit those expenses to BA requesting reimbursement under duty of care; plus 250 euros compensation for cancellation if cancellation was not at least 14 days ahead.

PS as they cancelled a flight you can choose new dates / times for both legs

PPS to keep these rights don’t cancel or take a refund

BlueHorizonUK

Fare gone

meta

@lm2804 @LadyLondon No 250/450/600 compensation as cancelled more than 14 days. BA still on the hook for duty of care and rebook/reroute under Article 8.

This allows you to rebook onto a later flight even if it departs the next day. BA then needs to pay accommodation (£200 per person is usually quoted as something acceptable, so £400 per night for 2 people is ok, but if it is a really expensive destination such as Maldives and would involve extra transport costs, then it can exceed) plus all meals excluding alcohol while you wait for the new flight and two telephone calls or internet (days worth of roaming).

You have the right to insist to be put on a later flight, especially reasonable and strong case if BA is running the service the following day.

Lady London

Dupe deleted.

meta

Isn’t TLS 250 euros compensation for cancellation? Under 1500km compensation band.

Yes, I think I misread as TFS.

jdbeds

DP on Bicester Village: went on Tuesday, first time ever. I used valet parking via HSBC WE (they kindly reserved a space for me even though I only emailed them the previous evening). The accompanying hands free shopping was very useful. It was really quiet when I arrived (9:30ish), certainly got steadily busier but nothing approaching hell on earth. Just prior to departure I took my receipts to the concierge and she knew exactly what I was talking about and happily credited the Avios to me. I was made to show each CC I’d used. I was also very impressed by the in store stock levels and presentation. All in all a very positive experience.

Is the valent parking free? Can you post a link to this benefit. I never knew this and go there often, would make a big difference for me.

https://www.homeandaway.hsbc.com/gb/en-gb/details/?oid=HA0192022

There you go 🙂

JM1987

Did I miss an announcement about the Barclaycard switch offers for existing customers for the Avios card, or is that still to come?

lm2804

@lm2804 @LadyLondon No 250/450/600 compensation as cancelled more than 14 days. BA still on the hook for duty of care and rebook/reroute under Article 8.

This allows you to rebook onto a later flight even if it departs the next day. BA then needs to pay accommodation (£200 per person is usually quoted as something acceptable, so £400 per night for 2 people is ok, but if it is a really expensive destination such as Maldives and would involve extra transport costs, then it can exceed) plus all meals excluding alcohol while you wait for the new flight and two telephone calls or internet (days worth of roaming).

You have the right to insist to be put on a later flight, especially reasonable and strong case if BA is running the service the following day.

Thanks for the help. To go down this route (stay an extra day and have BA cover the extra night in a hotel, costs are reasonable the hotel is approx 80 per night), do I go to “manage my booking” and move the cancelled sunday flight to a Monday one, or do I forefit my rights to claim stuff if I do that?

Thanks again.

Lady London

Always make a point of asking them to provide a hotel. If you make, say, 3 serious attempts to contact them to ask this, say holding on for 40-60mins min. without them picking up or, more likely, you being cut off then after the 2nd failure you email them your request to provide a hotel or sponsor your existing hotel under duty of care due to their having cancelled your flight forcing you to stay an extra night in order to take their next available flight the following day…

If they refuse, you can’t get through or they don’t reply and you keep proof of your attempts, that should be enough for you to book yourself and follow the claims process for duty of care hotel, meals, internet plus the fixed separate compo amount.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Thursday 28th April’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.