Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Thursday 30th December

Chat thread – Thursday 30th December

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

    This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

    If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

    Blair Waldorf Salad

    Aston, have you had your $40 antigen test yet? Very interested in hearing about your experience. I currently have a $300 4hr turnaround PCR booked for Friday morning because of the crazy turnaround delays in NYC at present; plus Aer Lingus are refusing to accept a self-administered antigen (any antigen tests I found on offer in NYC were self-swab).

    Aston100

    Aston, have you had your $40 antigen test yet? Very interested in hearing about your experience. I currently have a $300 4hr turnaround PCR booked for Friday morning because of the crazy turnaround delays in NYC at present; plus Aer Lingus are refusing to accept a self-administered antigen (any antigen tests I found on offer in NYC were self-swab).

    Hello, it’s booked for Friday evening I’m afraid.
    I visited one of their test sites and they managed to answer my questions adequately, so I went ahead and booked.
    I would say they were a bit abrupt and blunt at first, and bordering on rude, but this seems to be the standard customer service attitude in New York i.e indifferent at best.

    Aston100

    By the way, are you the chap who is staying at the Intercontinental Barclay?
    I was stood at the bus stop across the road from you, next to the Waldorf Astoria feeling suitably unworthy.
    Accompanied by fellow working class travelers and a homeless man who decided to breakdance and yell obscenities at passersby till the next m50 bus. Unfortunately he carried on breakdancing on the bus. Judging by the complete lack of reaction from others, I guess this is “just New York things”.

    Dominic

    By the way, are you the chap who is staying at the Intercontinental Barclay?
    I was stood at the bus stop across the road from you, next to the Waldorf Astoria feeling suitably unworthy.
    Accompanied by fellow working class travelers and a homeless man who decided to breakdance and yell obscenities at passersby till the next m50 bus. Unfortunately he carried on breakdancing on the bus. Judging by the complete lack of reaction from others, I guess this is “just New York things”.

    Indeed, one of my last memories of New York (all are to do with odd behaviour), was a an (apparent) homeless man dancing in the crosswalk.

    For the record, the others were somebody walking up to me randomly and putting a gun sign to my head, and someone else screaming expletives at me after I said no to his request for money to pay his parking fine. Interesting place.

    Carlos

    Advice: Looking to purchase a used car, prefer if I can pay with Amex to hit a bonus.
    The credit limit is likely to be 75% of the car value so can pay cash for the remaining 25%.

    Can anyone recommend a dealership which accepts amex around the South or East England area?

    Sam

    Advice: Looking to purchase a used car, prefer if I can pay with Amex to hit a bonus.
    The credit limit is likely to be 75% of the car value so can pay cash for the remaining 25%.

    Can anyone recommend a dealership which accepts amex around the South or East England area?

    Cazoo will and there is a small Amex offer on some cards

    Rhys
    HfP Staff

    Indeed, one of my last memories of New York (all are to do with odd behaviour), was a an (apparent) homeless man dancing in the crosswalk.

    For the record, the others were somebody walking up to me randomly and putting a gun sign to my head, and someone else screaming expletives at me after I said no to his request for money to pay his parking fine. Interesting place.

    Sounds like you attract an interesting bunch of people 😉

    ee

    New Airtime Code – CELEBRATE – £2 bonus when you spend £10.

    • This reply was modified 52 years, 1 month ago by .
    Benilyn

    Club Europe – can you take out the middle tray / can the stewards take them off on request? Travelling as a couple with a <2yo baby (ticket costs 10% of adult), wondering if we can slot him in to the middle?

    David D

    Cazoo currently has an Amex offer of spend £1000 get £250 back – online only..

    Thegasman

    Club Europe – can you take out the middle tray / can the stewards take them off on request? Travelling as a couple with a <2yo baby (ticket costs 10% of adult), wondering if we can slot him in to the middle?

    Depends on the plane. All the new ones & those that have been “enhanced” with increased seating density in economy have no middle tables anymore.

    The older/unrefurbed still have the tables & they can be folded under the seat in a couple of minutes. Whether the crew will be happy to do this or not I don’t know.

    Matty

    Can anyone fathom the logic of easyJet pricing?

    The flight I’m looking to book next month is priced at £19.99 for the outbound and £14.49 for the return. This is the adult fare.

    If I want to add an infant, under two years of age and sitting on my lap, it is an additional £25.00 per leg, so an additional £50.00 and ~£15.00 more than the adult fare.

    If, however, I select a child (aged 2 to 15) the outbound is £6.99 and the return is £14.49 (overall ~£14.00 cheaper than the adult fare and ~£35.00 cheaper than the infant fare – plus a child of this age range would be allocated a seat).

    Any issues if I select a child fare for my 12 month old?

    _aDifferentSimon_

    Can anyone fathom the logic of easyJet pricing?

    The flight I’m looking to book next month is priced at £19.99 for the outbound and £14.49 for the return. This is the adult fare.

    If I want to add an infant, under two years of age and sitting on my lap, it is an additional £25.00 per leg, so an additional £50.00 and ~£15.00 more than the adult fare.

    If, however, I select a child (aged 2 to 15) the outbound is £6.99 and the return is £14.49 (overall ~£14.00 cheaper than the adult fare and ~£35.00 cheaper than the infant fare – plus a child of this age range would be allocated a seat).

    Any issues if I select a child fare for my 12 month old?

    From the “Seating your family” section on https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/boarding-and-flying/flying-with-children

    “Infants have to sit with adults. Your infant can sit on your lap for a fee (see Fees and charges). It is recommended that an infant on an adult’s lap be forward-facing or in the cradled position for take-off and landing. On all of our aircraft we can allow up to one infant on a lap for each row of three seats. You can also buy a seat for them if you feel they’d be more comfortable. You can’t book these seats online so please contact our Customer Service team.”

    Maybe book it and then call to confirm it’s OK?? If it accepts the passenger info I would have thought OK?

    • This reply was modified 52 years, 1 month ago by .
    Dominic

    Looking for advice for visa application. Need a confirmed flight ticket.

    I have a Qatar Airways option – flight is more than I would usually pay, but I intend to change the flight if the visa is confirmed (same location etc, just one that is more economical!).

    Am I right in thinking Qatar absolutely will refund any flight booking with them through to 30 September 2022 (as per this link ) – or is there something I may be missing?

    Dominic

    Indeed, one of my last memories of New York (all are to do with odd behaviour), was a an (apparent) homeless man dancing in the crosswalk.

    For the record, the others were somebody walking up to me randomly and putting a gun sign to my head, and someone else screaming expletives at me after I said no to his request for money to pay his parking fine. Interesting place.

    Sounds like you attract an interesting bunch of people 😉

    I guess the MAGA hat, orange face, and t-shirt with Hilary Clinton in jail probably didn’t help matters

  • The topic ‘Chat thread – Thursday 30th December’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.