Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Thursday 30th May

• TooPoorToBeHere 267 posts

I think the airlines would be concerned about increasing cancellations – both from families who can afford to write off a small deposit if circumstances change but wouldnt have written off a fully paid flight, and from businesses.
    Why would businesses pay for fully flexible tickets if they can buy cheap inflexible ones and only pay a small deposit upfront? They’d run the numbers and might find that losing a few deposits would be more than offset by the savings on having the inflexible tickets.

Exactly. I’ve already used BAH 10% “deposit now rest later” as a low-rent alternative to a flexible ticket and it works very well.

Tonyb76 3 posts

Sorry I guess I should have said based in Essex so London airports and pretty flexible on when I can fly, don’t fancy jet lag if I can help it

sturgeon 207 posts

Regarding compensation and delays, the rules clearly displayed anywhere for Avios flights?

Andrew. 510 posts

Invitations are out for Airtime “Ignite”.

It’s using OpenBanking (same as Nectar), and is allowing me to link my Amex Account to it. (I don’t share my main current account with anyone).

davedent 46 posts

Ideally you need IST/Bucharest or Sofia with a domestic connection they are usually the cheapest. In Biz this gives you 240 tier points.
    You could do Lhr-man-lhr-otp-lhr which is 240.

JDB 4,643 posts

Regarding compensation and delays, the rules clearly displayed anywhere for Avios flights?

The rules for compensation/right to care/rerouting/refund etc. re Avios flights, including those involving Amex or Barclays vouchers, are identical to those for cash bookings.

NorthernLass 8,248 posts

Sorry I guess I should have said based in Essex so London airports and pretty flexible on when I can fly, don’t fancy jet lag if I can help it

Have you looked at all the responses you’ve had already? The work has pretty much been done for you!

Panda Mick 42 posts

Couple of very short hotel reviews for London

Hilton Olympia: Cheap, but a VERY tired hotel. Desperately needs renovation. Room, mattress, bathroom, etc, all sub par. Avoid unless cost is a factor

Half of the Hilton is going to be demolished and rebuilt into a new larger hotel, plans were approved late last year. Sounds like it can’t come soon enough!

Quite

Paul 146 posts

@Paul – it’s quite wrong to say it’s opaque on BA’s website. Their statutory obligations are set out in full and in plain English.

https://www.britishairways.com/content/information/delayed-or-cancelled-flights

While I know you and others like systemically to criticise BA at every opportunity even without any basis in fact, BA actually isn’t bad compared to others. I wonder how you would operate the system if you have any senior management responsibility?

The fact is there are incredibly generous and very widely publicised consumer rights attached to air travel and if people are too thick or too lazy to avail themselves of those rights, that’s their problem.

Their web site refers to EU regulations only. They do not refer to UK regulations. Moreover at the airport at the time of the incident BA failed entirely to follow the guidance in article 14 of the regulations ; – specifically

The operating air carrier shall ensure that at check-in a clearly legible notice containing the following text is displayed in a manner clearly visible to passengers: “If you are denied boarding or if your flight is cancelled or delayed for at least two hours, ask at the check-in counter or boarding gate for the text stating your rights, particularly with regard to compensation and assistance”.

An operating air carrier denying boarding or cancelling a flight shall provide each passenger affected with a written notice setting out the rules for compensation and assistance in line with this Regulation. It shall also provide each passenger affected by a delay of at least two hours with an equivalent notice. The contact details of the national designated body referred to in Article 16 shall also be given to the passenger in written form.

In respect of blind and visually impaired persons, the provisions of this Article shall be applied using appropriate alternative means.

They also in my specific case did not comply with article 4; No volunteers were sought and 8 weeks is hardly immediate for the compensation.

When an operating air carrier reasonably expects to deny boarding on a flight, it shall first call for volunteers to surrender their reservations in exchange for benefits under conditions to be agreed between the passenger concerned and the operating air carrier. Volunteers shall be assisted in accordance with Article 8, such assistance being additional to the benefits mentioned in this paragraph.

If an insufficient number of volunteers comes forward to allow the remaining passengers with reservations to board the flight, the operating air carrier may then deny boarding to passengers against their will.

If boarding is denied to passengers against their will, the operating air carrier shall immediately compensate them in accordance with Article 7 and assist them in accordance with Articles 8 and 9.

FatherOfFour 282 posts

Will there be an HfP Summer Party this year?

JDB 4,643 posts

@Paul – what is on the BA website is correct – the EC261 regulation was incorporated into UK law verbatim save for the origin/destination. The courts consider that providing a link to the rules is acceptable (the law was written twenty years ago) and paper isn’t an obligation; the point is that people should be made aware. Check in desks do usually have the required notice.

The issue re volunteers is specifically related to overbooking but ‘denied boarding’ has now been determined to cover a wider range of circumstances, none of which make volunteers relevant.

It really feels like you are just looking for problems, almost hoping that they won’t get resolved! Even what might be considered the best airlines don’t do any of this right on a systematic basis. I’m not entirely surprised BA didn’t respond if you complained on your son’s behalf. The idea that the way BA responds relies entirely on status was fairly comprehensively debunked here a few weeks ago.

S879 114 posts

When booking an economy Qatar Airways flight via BA website (Avios booking or cash), is seat selection free? A quick search says economy comfort selection is free, but I don’t know which fare class a miles ticket gets booked into. If yes, do we do it via BA website or QR website? Three tickets will be using miles and the 4th will be cash booking.

NorthernLass 8,248 posts

IME it’s free if you have the requisite FF status, so BA Silver/OW Sapphire and above. Otherwise you can pay via the QR website or app. I found the QR chat facility very helpful if you want to clarify with them.

If you’re on the A350 (IIRC), I HIGHLY recommend booking the pairs of bulkhead or exit row seats, these come with masses of personal space and are easily as good as BA PE.

S879 114 posts

IME it’s free if you have the requisite FF status, so BA Silver/OW Sapphire and above. Otherwise you can pay via the QR website or app. I found the QR chat facility very helpful if you want to clarify with them.

If you’re on the A350 (IIRC), I HIGHLY recommend booking the pairs of bulkhead or exit row seats, these come with masses of personal space and are easily as good as BA PE.

Thank you. Sadly, no status. I will look at which flights have the A350. Do they allow these to be booked beforehand or when check-in opens? Do you know what the cost is roughly? I wish we could see what seats are available beforehand before selecting the flight. Maybe I can look on QR website.

freckles 191 posts

World’s first Walkers Shortbread vending machine launches at EDI – whatever next?

https://www.edinburghairport.com/world-first-as-walkers-shortbread-vending-machine-with-free-treats-lands-in

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,251 posts

World’s first Walkers Shortbread vending machine launches at EDI – whatever next?

https://www.edinburghairport.com/world-first-as-walkers-shortbread-vending-machine-with-free-treats-lands-in

Tunnocks caramel wafer machine?

NorthernLass 8,248 posts

@S879 – have you got a QR account? If so, you can see your booking on there and select seats, as I recall they are priced in rials and not as much as BA charges. You should be able to see (current) aircraft type during the booking process, though of course this can change so keep checking – this happened to us and OH and I were moved to completely different rows. Fortunately I spotted it quickly enough to move us back to equivalent seats.

IIRC the BA app wouldn’t take me to the QR site, but the website did, so try that if you can’t use the QR app.

Tunnock’s have become so expensive! We make do with the Aldi version these days. Sorry!

S879 114 posts

@S789 – have you got a QR account? If so, you can see your booking on there and select seats, as I recall they are priced in rials and not as much as BA charges. You should be able to see (current) aircraft type during the booking process, though of course this can change so keep checking – this happened to us and OH and I were moved to completely different rows. Fortunately I spotted it quickly enough to move us back to equivalent seats.

IIRC the BA app wouldn’t take me to the QR site, but the website did, so try that if you can’t use the QR app.

Thanks again. I do have a QR account so will book via BA as we need to utilise miles in a household account and then see if I can select seats via QR website. One ticket from my teenage child will be in cash as its not worth using miles due to less APD. It is showing that I will have to pay for that ticket’s seat selection.

marshy11 248 posts

Just home from work and maybe I missed this being mentioned (paywall alert)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/how-where-spend-amex-points/

Is it actually worth getting an Amex card?
    Not for everyone, according to Rob Burgess, editor of travel and credit card rewards website Head for Points……While the lure of bonus points for signing up and making purchases are attractive, when it comes to spending them, the best rewards – flights, hotel rooms and Eurostar seats – require high levels of points.

Mr Burgess said: “Unless you are spending £100,000 a year on credit cards, Amex points are likely to be used to top up an existing Avios or other travel rewards balance, rather than provide 100pc of the points you need for a free flight or room.

I’m sure I can’t quote the full article….

NorthernLass 8,248 posts

For some reason my “free trial” of the Telegraph seems to continue indefinitely! Good work Rob, making Nectar points sound more attractive than avios, keep up the sterling effort 😂

Possibly not mentioned due to general disdain towards the Torygraph on here!

A quick scan of the comments shows Telegraph readers to be on a different planet from HFP ones, anyway.

phantomchickenz 328 posts

Probably 😉

Ant M 83 posts

More importantly, will we actualy get a summer this year or is the wet spring just going to merge straight into a wet autumn?

Bill_B 91 posts

For some reason my “free trial” of the Telegraph seems to continue indefinitely! Good work Rob, making Nectar points sound more attractive than avios, keep up the sterling effort 😂

Possibly not mentioned due to general disdain towards the Torygraph on here!

A quick scan of the comments shows Telegraph readers to be on a different planet from HFP ones, anyway.

Looks like a re-issue of the previous article that Rob advised on.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2023/05/10/using-amex-membership-rewards-points/

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Thursday 30th May’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.