Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Thursday 6th January

Chat thread – Thursday 6th January

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

stankpa

Aloha from Hawaii!

I posted the question yesterday but didn’t get a response hence repost.

We are travelling on Friday afternoon from LA back to Scotland with BA via London.

Am I right in thinking English rules will apply?

Alternatively if we turn up at the airport and check is staff request pre-departure test, we can just cancel our Lon- Edinburgh leg as long as it is more than 2 hour prior to departure. It’s our 241 redemption. Is that correct?

Many thanks!

sm

Good morning. Sorry I can’t help you with your question. But want to ask you one! I’m also going to be travelling to Hawaii via Las Vegas. Plan is to arrive from London to Vegas and stay two nights ( 36 hours ) then fly to Honolulu. Is the test in Uk before departure enough for the arrival into Hawaii? Or would I need another test in Vegas? Thanks so much

stankpa

No need to test in Las Vegas as long as you are fully vaccinated (this is 2 doses at the moment). You have to create Hawaii Safe account, upload your flight details and vaccine certificate. That generates the QR code which you show at the airport to pre-clear. The airline staff give you a wristband after check in which means no other checks are done on arrival to Hawaii. Hope you have a great time! It’s our second visit and we loved it

pointyhead

Airtime Rewards code – JAN – for extra £2 on £10 spend

sm

Thank you so much stankpa. Thanks for clarifying. Hope you had a lovely time too!

PaulC

Flying to Dubai next Thursday with BA.
    Is the PCR test requirement’s 72hours before departure or 48hours? Conflicting information on Emirates (Airline) website and UAE Gov website.
    Also are home testing PCR kits accepted as again, Emirates (Airline) wording says not but no mention on UAE Gov website of them not.
    Looking for anyone with recent BA experience to confirm this ideally.

stankpa

My pleasure. Join Maui COVID Travel Testing Facebook group. They post guides on how to complete the pre-departure forms and any updated to arrival and indoor dining rules.

Benilyn

Flying to Dubai next Thursday with BA.
    Is the PCR test requirement’s 72hours before departure or 48hours? Conflicting information on Emirates (Airline) website and UAE Gov website.
    Also are home testing PCR kits accepted as again, Emirates (Airline) wording says not but no mention on UAE Gov website of them not.
    Looking for anyone with recent BA experience to confirm this ideally.

48 hours, was changed a few days ago to this

Gavin454

As a UK passport holder, do I need to have a return ticket booked to enter Switzerland? I usually have one (although never been asked), but this time I want to enter on a one-way ticket and book a separate Avios ticket last minute for my return to the UK.

Louise K

Aloha from Hawaii!

[quote quote=302555]Aloha from Hawaii!

I posted the question yesterday but didn’t get a response hence repost.

We are travelling on Friday afternoon from LA back to Scotland with BA via London.

Am I right in thinking English rules will apply?

Alternatively if we turn up at the airport and check is staff request pre-departure test, we can just cancel our Lon- Edinburgh leg as long as it is more than 2 hour prior to departure. It’s our 241 redemption. Is that correct?

Many thanks!

Apparently Humza is going to make an announcement to the SP today about possible alignment with England.

However, since you are entering the UK in London then flying to Scotland I’m not sure that will matter.

How is Hawaii? Hoping to go in April.

• This reply was modified 52 years, 1 month ago by .
    zanderblue

I’d say Scottish Government legislation would apply. See attached link https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-international-travel-quarantine/

Reney

I am planning to close down my free VS card, wait 6 months and open the VS+ card to qualify for the bonus and have a higher point/£ card during my no amex quiet period. Rob/Rhys/ others any reason I shouldn’t do this now?

John

As a UK passport holder, do I need to have a return ticket booked to enter Switzerland? I usually have one (although never been asked), but this time I want to enter on a one-way ticket and book a separate Avios ticket last minute for my return to the UK.

You don’t need one, but they could choose to believe you are lying about wanting to book a last-minute return ticket and thus deny entry. In some countries airline agents will check for onward tickets from everyone who has a visa-exempt passport, though I’ve only heard of this happening in the UK to those who are using a Schengen visa

Iona

Does anyone know if SeatSpy has access to the additional Club World reward seat availability that you get when redeeming a 2-4-1 BAPP voucher? Thank you!

EvilDoctorK

Apparently Humza is going to make an announcement to the SP today about possible alignment with England.

However, since you are entering the UK in London t

They’ll grumble but ultimately follow the English approach ( at most with a slight delay ) .. this has been the consistent pattern for a long time, no reason to believe they’ll do anything different.

Wales already agreed to follow the English changes yesterday ( with obligatory bit of grumbling !)

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Thursday 6th January’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.