Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Thursday 7th July

Chat thread – Thursday 7th July

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

polly

So, who won the big prize then… gutted to miss da party… hope you are already planning a Christmas one team hfp…am sure it was super fun.

BuildBackBetter

While BA cuts flights, SQ has reinstated full pre-covid capacity on LHR SIN route.

https://mainlymiles.com/2022/07/07/singapore-airlines-doubles-a380-london-flights-from-october/

Hurry up if you are looking to redeem…

Yuff

You have to laugh at Britain’s broken airports.
    Stansted e-gates wouldn’t accept new British passports yesterday……..who is running these airports the civil service

SteveJ

Anyone know how often Amex update the credit agency bureaus?

Amex seem to send my balance over at the end of every month, been watching it this week and the last update is still showing as 31 May. Would’ve expected, a week later, for the 30 June position to have been sent over by now?

JDB

Stansted e-gates wouldn’t accept new British passports yesterday……..who is running these airports the civil service

Stansted is operated by Manchester Airports Group, which is owned by local councils so, yes, civil servants effectively in charge…

MarkSX

Redeeming a flight on BA.com from Chania – Helsinki on Finnair. Does anyone know if I am entitled to a check-in baggage? The lowest fare on Finnair.com excludes it, but when I go to checkout on BA.com, it seems to say I have 1 checked baggage, but when I click on the link to see the full baggage allowance details, it pops up blank.

Yuff

Stansted is operated by Manchester Airports Group, which is owned by local councils so, yes, civil servants effectively in charge…

That explains a lot.
    Are all the staff working from home?

WaynedP

Thanks, Rob, to you and your team and sponsors, prize donors and hosts for a very enjoyable event last night.

Great to see and chat with some familiar names and just sorry I couldn’t fight my way through the fan club to say a quick hello to Rhys and thanks for the consistently great reviews.

Wishing you all continued strength to strength for many decades to come !

strickers

Chairman’s statement from Jet2.com is pretty blunt:

‘Broadly, most of our 10 UK Base Airports have been woefully ill‐prepared and poorly resourced for the volume of customers they could reasonably expect, as have other suppliers, such as Onboard Caterers and providers of Airport PRM (Passengers with Reduced Mobility) services. Inexcusable, bearing in mind our flights have been on sale for many months and our load factors are quite normal.

Theirs and the Ground Handling suppliers’ often atrocious customer service, long queues for Security Search, lack of Staff and congestion in Baggage Handling Areas, and the consequent airport congestion, together with the frequent lack of onboard catering supplies, have each contributed to a very much poorer experience at the start and finish of our Customers’ holidays than they were entitled to expect. Inevitably, these customer‐facing challenges have put extra pressure on our Colleagues, both in the UK, onboard our aircraft and in our holiday destinations.

This difficult return to normal operations has occurred simply because of the lack of planning, preparedness and unwillingness to invest by many Airports and associated Suppliers.’

Taken from todays interim results statement.

Charles Martel

Airports are likely to be a composite of the best of British corporate incompetence supplied by MAG, HAL, Swissport and the airlines, with a twist of ineptitude from civil servants at UK Border Force and HMRC. In public they’ll all blame each other for any problems but deep down none of them really care.

AJA

I am after some opinions on whether to get Samsung GalaxyTags or the Tile equivalent? I have a Galaxy phone and so it seems logical to get the Samsung product but I’ve read a few online reviews and it seems the TilePro is more widely used which makes tracking easier. The prices are identical so just wondering what others would choose.

Yuff

Airports are likely to be a composite of the best of British corporate incompetence supplied by MAG, HAL, Swissport and the airlines, with a twist of ineptitude from civil servants at UK Border Force and HMRC. In public they’ll all blame each other for any problems but deep down none of them really care.

Don’t worry the ministry of justice could give any of these places a good run for their money in respect of incompetence and I suspect they would have a good chance of proving airports skilful…….

StaggerLee

• This reply was modified 52 years, 7 months ago by .
    mikeWA14

Aer Lingus are offering a 50% bonus on Avios purchases – https://pgt.estore.aerlingus.com/

PeteM

Except e-gates are owned and run by Border Force…

PeteM

Theirs and the Ground Handling suppliers’ often atrocious customer service, long queues for Security Search, lack of Staff and congestion in Baggage Handling Areas, and the consequent airport congestion, together with the frequent lack of onboard catering supplies, have each contributed to a very much poorer experience at the start and finish of our Customers’ holidays than they were entitled to expect. Inevitably, these customer‐facing challenges have put extra pressure on our Colleagues, both in the UK, onboard our aircraft and in our holiday destinations.

Apart from the bizarre capitalisation of random words, it’s hard to disagree…!

youneedtobeyourself

s are likely to be a composite of the best of British corporate incompetence supplied by MAG, HAL, Swissport and the airlines, with a twist of ineptitude from civil servants at UK Border Force and HMRC. In public they’ll all blame each other for any problems but deep down none of them really care.

If you were starting from scratch, you’d mandate that the airlines operating from an airport had a stake in it, so that they could influence and be held responsible for it’s smooth operation as ultimately they are the ones most affected by it.

Add in some regulation around maximum wait times at security and check in, with the ability to fine and revoke landing slots and you’d be close to a decent system.

That said, the government didn’t really do much to help airlines and airports. It saddled them with debt, and then the furlough scheme ended way before air travel returned to normal and because of all the printed money no one struggled to find a job elsewhere after being laid off by the travel industry and then they probably realised the terms of employment they were getting in travel were not that good after all.

Angelamc11

Flight (BA) to LHR last night was delayed 2 hours and 56 minutes 😏 meant we landed at midnight. I was too late for the car hire which also meant we didn’t make the hotel I originally booked. I ended up booking into the Marriott Renaissance and got there just after 1am.

Am I entitled to claim hotel and taxi from BA or travel insurance, I have BAPP plus Bus platinum.

Also no meal on the flight (CE) only crisps and nuts, any recourse on this?

TIA

Maples

Aer Lingus are offering a 50% bonus on Avios purchases – https://pgt.estore.aerlingus.com/

BA have a similar thing on their website. I thought it was a raffle thing where you had a chance of winning – so didn’t think much of it.

AJA

Flight (BA) to LHR last night was delayed 2 hours and 56 minutes 😏 meant we landed at midnight. I was too late for the car hire which also meant we didn’t make the hotel I originally booked. I ended up booking into the Marriott Renaissance and got there just after 1am.

Am I entitled to claim hotel and taxi from BA or travel insurance, I have BAPP plus Bus platinum.

TIA

where did you get the delay time from? Remember it is time they open the doors and not just the time they landed and taxied around the airport. Check ba.com flight status. The official time should be reported on there still but do it today as it will disappear by tomorrow.

I am not sure re hotel expenses in this instance. Did you speak to any BA personnel regarding this or did you just rebook? Also, no good now, but in future if you know you are likely to be delayed try calling your booked hotel and explaining that you will be delayed as they will often hold the reservation for you.

I think the extra hotel cost is an insurance claim.

As for lack of food what explanation did you get from the crew? I would complain and ask for some Avios as a goodwill gesture. Did you try buying from the onboard catering from economy? That expense could be claimed from BA

Angelamc11

TIA

where did you get the delay time from? Remember it is time they open the doors and not just the time they landed and taxied around the airport. Check ba.com flight status. The official time should be reported on there still but do it today as it will disappear by tomorrow.

I am not sure re hotel expenses in this instance. Did you speak to any BA personnel regarding this or did you just rebook? Also, no good now, but in future if you know you are likely to be delayed try calling your booked hotel and explaining that you will be delayed as they will often hold the reservation for you.

I think the extra hotel cost is an insurance claim.

As for lack of food what explanation did you get from the crew? I would complain and ask for some Avios as a goodwill gesture. Did you try buying from the onboard catering from economy? That expense could be claimed from BA

Yes I checked the listed time and they have it 2 hours and 52 minutes late. The original hotel was an hours drive away and with no hire car wasn’t possible to get there. Crew in CE said they couldn’t restock the food as they had service issues and the airport wouldn’t let them reload. We tried to find BA personnel after landing but nobody was about so I just booked the hotel myself. Thanks for your response.

dougzz99

TIA

Belfast? I don’t think you get anything, consequential stuff not on the airline. Travel insurance is the way to go.

Maybe a few Avios for the meal.

Angelamc11

TIA

Belfast? I don’t think you get anything, consequential stuff not on the airline. Travel insurance is the way to go.

Maybe a few Avios for the meal.

Thank you

ChrisC

MAG is owned roughly 33% Manchester City Countil. 33% shared amongst the other Greater Mamchester Councils and 33% by a private equity partner.

The airport is run as an arms length commercial business and staff aren’t civil service let alone local government employees.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Thursday 7th July’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.