Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Tuesday 21st December

Chat thread – Tuesday 21st December

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

Please do not post here until Tuesday 🙂 Hopefully we will get this automated from tomorrow – Neil tells me that the code is ready to be rolled out.

This is Tuesday’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

Lewis13

Late at night so hopefully ok to post here early 😉

Any tips on US domestic flights? Looking for one with a reasonable hand baggage allowance, it looks like all the usual names are substantially smaller than UK based airlines.

Travel Strong

Any tips on US domestic flights? Looking for one with a reasonable hand baggage allowance, it looks like all the usual names are substantially smaller than UK based airlines.

Are you reading the inch to cm conversion correctly?

Delta. 56 x 36 x 23
    AA. 56 x 36 x 23
    BA. 56 x 36 x 23

Easyjet/Wizz/Ryanair are similar on their ‘paid for’ carry on, but smaller on their ‘small cabin bag’ inclusive carry on.

merlin90

I live in the US and have taken plenty of domestic flights and can honestly say I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone fall foul of rules regarding hand-baggage size. Some people, to be honest, rather take the piss with what they bring onto planes. At worst, if you’re in a later boarding group you might find that there’s no room left in overhead bins so you need to check your bag (for free). Sometimes airlines will proactively offer passengers at the gate the opportunity to check their bags for no fee in an effort to avoid someone who really wants/needs to take their hand baggage on board being denied the chance to do so. But if you’re in an early/middling group and bringing on a normal-looking wheely suitcase, you’ll be fine.

• This reply was modified 52 years, 1 month ago by .
    TimM

Are you reading the inch to cm conversion correctly?

Delta. 56 x 36 x 23
    AA. 56 x 36 x 23
    BA. 56 x 36 x 23

Easyjet/Wizz/Ryanair are similar on their ‘paid for’ carry on, but smaller on their ‘small cabin bag’ inclusive carry on.

BA and easyJet (paid-for, upfront etc.) is 56cm x 45cm x 25cm. Ryanair (paid) is 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.

I think the 56 x 36 x 23 must be uniquely American and over 25% smaller than BA.

TimM

I live in the US and have taken plenty of domestic flights and can honestly say I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone fall foul of rules regarding hand-baggage size. Some people, to be honest, rather take the piss with what they bring onto planes. At worst, if you’re in a later boarding group you might find that there’s no room left in overhead bins so you need to check your bag (for free). Sometimes airlines will proactively offer passengers at the gate the opportunity to check their bags for no fee in an effort to avoid someone who really wants/needs to take their hand baggage on board being denied the chance to do so. But if you’re in an early/middling group and bringing on a normal-looking wheely suitcase, you’ll be fine.

What do US passengers do if they have a RyanAir connecting flight? In my few RyanAir flights, they have had combined weighing scales and measuring frames that every cabin bag gets passed through at the gate. The ‘fine’ for transgression is more than the fare.

Molly

Any data points on the Amex dining offer. Spent the £200 on Saturday 11th Dec but still no credit. What is usual wait time? Don’t want to wait the 90 days before Amex will review the credit.

JS

Hi Guys
    With the latest wave of cancelations I had flights canceled which I got with the amex travel offer
    The offer I used for it was on the additional cards no with the main card
    What happens if I cancel the additional card altigether will the refund come to the main account and would that help that the offer shoiuld not be reversed? What are your thoughts?
    Thanks

Andrew J

Any data points on the Amex dining offer. Spent the £200 on Saturday 11th Dec but still no credit. What is usual wait time? Don’t want to wait the 90 days before Amex will review the credit.

Most Amex offers taking an age these days to credit – see separate discussion thread.

Andrew J

Another enforcement of Halo at Sofitel – test conducted at 3pm yesterday, result by 8pm, so basically by the time you’ve got home, unpacked, you’re free. And all for a very reasonable £59. BA seem to be using it for crew arrivals – a separate queue for them.

squawk7700

After signing up to the Amex Platinum deal earlier in the Summer (thanks HFP!) I cancelled my old travel insurance as the Amex insurance policy was considerably better, and of course included in the annual fee which I needed to justify.

Now, we have a holiday cottage in the UK booked over New Years with some friends, via a company which only took Mastercard. Now it’s just occurred to me, that I will probably therefore not be covered for this trip, as it wasn’t booked on the Amex, is that correct? Bit of a bummer because we’re all on Covid tenterhooks, hoping none of us test positive in the run-up. Meanwhile the cottage company is saying that barring a national lockdown, any cancellations would need to be taken up with our travel insurance.

Does the fact that I need to fill up my car with petrol, to reach the cottage, paid for on the Amex Platinum somehow insure me….? Bit of a grey area for travel bookings in our home country!

DJ

I believe you are still covered if you have a screenshot or any other evidence showing that the merchant doesn’t take Amex.

Andrew J

Another enforcement of Halo at Sofitel – test conducted at 3pm yesterday, result by 8pm, so basically by the time you’ve got home, unpacked, you’re free. And all for a very reasonable £59. BA seem to be using it for crew arrivals – a separate queue for them.

*Endorsement I meant.

spea

Woken up to the news from the Netherlands that:
    From 22 December 2021, travellers from very high-risk areas must self-quarantine for 10 days even if they have proof of vaccination or proof of recovery. This quarantine period can be shortened if they get tested by the municipal health service (GGD) on day 5 of the quarantine and the result is negative.

Am due to transit (overnight layover) on Thursday 23rd, arriving at 19:00 and staying at the Sheraton airport hotel (effectively self-quarantining). Leaving Schiphol on 24th at 13:00… they say about a 12 hour transit time but we’ll be over that quota. The wording they use sounds like you MUST stay in the country, self-quarantining, for 10 days.

We’ve got tests booked and have all other paperwork sorted, and will now sign the quarantine declaration to say that we will… anyone have any idea if that’s within the restrictions?!

Andrew.

What do US passengers do if they have a RyanAir connecting flight? In my few RyanAir flights, they have had combined weighing scales and measuring frames that every cabin bag gets passed through at the gate. The ‘fine’ for transgression is more than the fare.

Same as they did when they had an Upper seat on Virgin and connected to a Flybe flight to Edinburgh at Heathrow. Found their hand luggage didn’t fit, had a tantrum, then paid up.

• This reply was modified 52 years, 1 month ago by .
    SamG

Woken up to the news from the Netherlands that:
    From 22 December 2021, travellers from very high-risk areas must self-quarantine for 10 days even if they have proof of vaccination or proof of recovery. This quarantine period can be shortened if they get tested by the municipal health service (GGD) on day 5 of the quarantine and the result is negative.

Am due to transit (overnight layover) on Thursday 23rd, arriving at 19:00 and staying at the Sheraton airport hotel (effectively self-quarantining). Leaving Schiphol on 24th at 13:00… they say about a 12 hour transit time but we’ll be over that quota. The wording they use sounds like you MUST stay in the country, self-quarantining, for 10 days.

We’ve got tests booked and have all other paperwork sorted, and will now sign the quarantine declaration to say that we will… anyone have any idea if that’s within the restrictions?!

I suspect like most places you can leave within the 10 days. The other option is to stay at YOTEL / Mecure airside

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Tuesday 21st December’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.