Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Tuesday 23rd April

• BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,169 posts

But every coach that day has gone up to exactly the same price. Wheter it’s the 02.50 or the 14.50 of the 22.45

Please don’t try and say that ticket uptake on every coach has gone up by exactly the same amount so the price has simply gone up because of ticket sales

Especially when the prices the day before and day after are the same £16.80

Skywalker 720 posts

But every coach that day has gone up to exactly the same price. Wheter it’s the 02.50 or the 14.50 of the 22.45

Please don’t try and say that ticket uptake on every coach has gone up by exactly the same amount so the price has simply gone up because of ticket sales

Which website are you looking at?

mark2 130 posts

Plaza Premium at LHR T5 – hoping to visit around 11am tomorrow, but have heard that queues can be bad. Is that the case? Is there an option to pre-book (I can’t see one on the app)?

We went in there last May and I would recommend sitting on the floor in the main terminal rather than going again.

Abysmal funiture and food.

Bill 173 posts

BA EuroFlyer deals from Gatwick with Trip dot com. 50% off on some routes. Hope it’s ok to put link here.

https://uk.trip.com/sale/w/8744/tripcomxbaeuroflyer.html?locale=en-gb&curr=gbp&transparentBar=1&allianceid=21934&SID=455408&trip_sub1=ec7baf7e017511ef83d52c210a18b8fc

Thanks – are trip dot com any good? I always see good prices but just wondered what others here think or what other’s experiences are?

I’ve booked Loganair, trains and hotels with them. No problems so far.

xefo 50 posts

Plaza Premium at LHR T5 – hoping to visit around 11am tomorrow, but have heard that queues can be bad. Is that the case? Is there an option to pre-book (I can’t see one on the app)?

We went in there last May and I would recommend sitting on the floor in the main terminal rather than going again.

Exact same experience a couple of weeks ago, will not bother again. Even the charging points didn’t work.

Stu_N 116 posts

Totally rational reaction as they now think they can now sell any seat at full fare and don’t need to discount for advance purchases.

Why didn’t you book yesterday when the price was presumably acceptable to you?

zapato1060 696 posts

Exact same experience a couple of weeks ago, will not bother again. Even the charging points didn’t work.

I disagree. I had a comfy seat (furniture has definitely seen better days). Food was ok-ish and got to sit down with a cup of tea and some snacks. I think people go in expecting The Pier?! The terminal was incredibly packed in comparison. Did not pre book and waited 10 mins. They are doing entry via plane departure time so we were in there quick.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,169 posts

I did book yesterday. And double dipped on TCB and airtime as well lol Shame I didn’t have an MBNB offer as well.

LD27 188 posts

Sitting in Aspire Lounge at Newcastle airport. Unable to experience new BA lounge as official launch taking place at this moment.

Swifty 56 posts

.. I can sleep on a coin edge usually. I can sleep.for.6 hours on a day flight upright, on a night flight wedged between people in economy…. my super power is nappability. But having looked through flyertalk a couple years ago they were dishing out 100 vouchers. Seems stingy. Anyway, 3/10 do not recommend finnair. Miserable lot . The only good thing was the making of a lovely new Finnish friend in the lounge who also stayed at same hotel as me. And some gorgeous new Finn friends on my boat trip round James bond island. Happy travels! Thank you northern lass, thank you JDB.thank you Zapato. Unless you’re laughing at me, in which case, yup I’m laughabke. Enjoy! I will take my 3.5k avoid and run 🙂 away from finnair.

OS2142 6 posts

I am looking at travelling from LON from NYC for work. Anything up to about £4k is fine – but it seems that prices are almost double that. I am BA silver so looking for something on oneworld – and need to be in NYC from 6th to 11th May. Happy to fly in on the 4th or 5th, and out any time 11th or 12th – but struggling to find business. Happy to do a a stopover as long as not too crazy. I may also have a quick two day Montreal trip to do during the week – but then looking at doing at a multi-city seems to be more so I thought I would book a NYC-YUL return separately. Any avios/TP experts who can help? The other option is booking premium economy and then hoping I can get a reasonable upgrade offer!

NorthernLass 7,932 posts

I’m feeling only envy, @Swifty, if I could choose a superpower it would be the ability to fall (and stay) asleep at will! I’ve actually changed my travel strategy going forward to avoid the dreaded night flights.

I’ve only done short haul on Finnair, and both times found the crew extremely impressive, especially the chap who was the absolute spit of 80s action hero Dolph Lundgren 😂 (I’m not kidding, he had to squeeze his shoulders together to walk down the aisle!)

NorthernLass 7,932 posts

@OS2142 – prices are going to be crazy this close to your travel date, especially around a bank holiday. However, have you had a look at BA Holidays? You could book the flight plus just one night in a hotel, which might actually bring the price down.

OS2142 6 posts

@OS2142 – prices are going to be crazy this close to your travel date, especially around a bank holiday. However, have you had a look at BA Holidays? You could book the flight plus just one night in a hotel, which might actually bring the price down.

Good idea – will have a look!

Not Long Now... 96 posts

OS2142, LMGTFY…. AER Lingus LHR-DUB or SNN-JFK return business £3120 4th to 11th, plus, if BA calculator is to be believed, 360TP

OS2142 6 posts

OS2142, LMGTFY…. AER Lingus LHR-DUB or SNN-JFK return business £3120 4th to 11th, plus, if BA calculator is to be believed, 360TP

Ahh I didn’t realise it earned TP’s! Did you find that directly on AER Lingus website?

memesweeper 1,268 posts

YC hedge your bets by picking up a suitcase somewhere like TK Maxx or Matalan? depending what they’ve got in you can find surprisingly durable stuff (often doesn’t look it) there.

I just picked up a decent, soft, wheeled case from Barnardos for £ 8. Not going to be my first choice, but will be handy I’m sure. And if it isn’t, back to the charity shop!

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,149 posts

I am looking at travelling from LON from NYC for work. Anything up to about £4k is fine – but it seems that prices are almost double that. I am BA silver so looking for something on oneworld – and need to be in NYC from 6th to 11th May. Happy to fly in on the 4th or 5th, and out any time 11th or 12th – but struggling to find business. Happy to do a a stopover as long as not too crazy. I may also have a quick two day Montreal trip to do during the week – but then looking at doing at a multi-city seems to be more so I thought I would book a NYC-YUL return separately. Any avios/TP experts who can help? The other option is booking premium economy and then hoping I can get a reasonable upgrade offer!

DUB-JFK Sun 05 to Sun 12 May, £1618 on JetBlue

DUB-YYZ-LGA on Air Canada Sun 05, return YUL-ZRH-DUB on Swiss, £2031 booked with United

phantomchickenz 333 posts

YC hedge your bets by picking up a suitcase somewhere like TK Maxx or Matalan? depending what they’ve got in you can find surprisingly durable stuff (often doesn’t look it) there.

I got my trusty Samsonite carryon from TK Maxx probably a decade ago. Saw it for £70 and thought it seemed reasonable, got home and checked the prices to buy new and it was £350. Swiftly went back and nabbed it!

tw33ty 191 posts

Last night and tonight in cp Newcastle, I really like this hotel.

The current Amex ihg offer is the icing on the cake

MGW 16 posts

Abysmal furniture and food.

I agree, take the floor seat.

I’ve tried to get in perhaps a dozen times since the pandemic and succeeded only once. That was the worst experience of them all and the main reason that I gave up my Priority Pass.

Premium it ain’t!

davedent 43 posts

I’m feeling only envy, @Swifty, if I could choose a superpower it would be the ability to fall (and stay) asleep at will! I’ve actually changed my travel strategy going forward to avoid the dreaded night flights.

I’ve only done short haul on Finnair, and both times found the crew extremely impressive, especially the chap who was the absolute spit of 80s action hero Dolph Lundgren 😂 (I’m not kidding, he had to squeeze his shoulders together to walk down the aisle!)

I’ve flown Finnair short and long haul many times. Without exception the short haul FAs are lovely but the long haul ones are like Lufthansas FAs with a hangover and having got out of the bed on wrong side. On my last flight I was screamed out by a FA (in BIZ) for leaving an amenity kit on my table (that he put there) as we prepared to land. The first lounge at Helsinki is OK but having a sauna in a lounge if just odd and there’s only so much cloudberry juice you can stomach.

phantomchickenz 333 posts

I disagree. I had a comfy seat (furniture has definitely seen better days). Food was ok-ish and got to sit down with a cup of tea and some snacks. I think people go in expecting The Pier?! The terminal was incredibly packed in comparison. Did not pre book and waited 10 mins. They are doing entry via plane departure time so we were in there quick.

Interesting perspectives. I’m tempted to fork out the £6 to guarantee Club Aspire.

tical 19 posts

Anyone buying Lufthansa miles in their bundle deals? 150k miles for £1,540 seems decent and I like having them as an alternative to Avios but long haul business availability has been unusually poor as of late

SamG 1,668 posts

Check Manchester to JFK on Aer Lingus too if you could make that work as a departure point , I had a work trip booked last min recently and there were some very reasonable prices from there

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Tuesday 23rd April’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.