Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Tuesday 25th January

Chat thread – Tuesday 25th January

Topic closed
  • Blair Waldorf Salad

Marriott Promo. Double Elite nights and 1000 bonus points per night. From Feb 8 to May 2.

Targeted promo? This is just what I’ve been waiting for (Mr Burns grin)

AL

Any advice on express test turnaround times? We had tests at LHR drive through midday yesterday, advised by staff results would be back by 10am but still nothing.
    Any recent timeframes for results would be very much appreciated.

Which tests did you take? That’s quite key. An antigen, for example, could be back pretty quickly. A PCR that you’ve not paid much for will take comparatively longer…

Shaw West

Marriott Promo. Double Elite nights and 1000 bonus points per night. From Feb 8 to May 2.

Targeted promo? This is just what I’ve been waiting for (Mr Burns grin)

Global Promo. I haven’t yet been targeted after the Bonvoy Merge.

Shaw West

Hi All,
    I’m looking for the best way to avoid mobile data roaming charges in the USA for an trip in a few days time. I’ve seen Airalo do eSIM with reasonable rates for the USA. This looks perfect for me, because I should be able to keep my main number for any calls (just for emergencies) but get data without paying too much. Does anyone have any experience with them and/or a referral code? Or if you have any other any other suggestions. Many thanks.

I usually just go into T-Mobile and get a visitor SIM. I think last time it was around $30 for pretty much unlimited data and calls. they don’t always advertise it, so you might have to specifically ask a rep in the shop

Much cheaper to get a UK sim for roaming in US. Three,Lebara/Lyca/XXXX all do free roaming

Panda Mick

Hi All,
    I’m looking for the best way to avoid mobile data roaming charges in the USA for an trip in a few days time. I’ve seen Airalo do eSIM with reasonable rates for the USA. This looks perfect for me, because I should be able to keep my main number for any calls (just for emergencies) but get data without paying too much. Does anyone have any experience with them and/or a referral code? Or if you have any other any other suggestions. Many thanks.

I usually just go into T-Mobile and get a visitor SIM. I think last time it was around $30 for pretty much unlimited data and calls. they don’t always advertise it, so you might have to specifically ask a rep in the shop

Don’t even need to go into a shop: If you phone supports eSIM, then you just download the eSim app from your App Store, and register there. Pretty painless.

SteveJ

Don’t even need to go into a shop: If you phone supports eSIM, then you just download the eSim app from your App Store, and register there. Pretty painless.

Hi Panda Mick, is this for T-Mobile? Do you know what their app is called for this eSim?

Charles Martel

Much cheaper to get a UK sim for roaming in US. Three,Lebara/Lyca/XXXX all do free roaming

Of Three, Lebara and Lyca only Three PAYG seem to offer free roaming in the US, are you sure it’s available on the other two?

• This reply was modified 52 years, 6 months ago by .
    Carlos

Accidentally went over £10k on Curve fronted without realising it…

Is it possible to Turn back time on a Fronted transaction less than £3k and pay with a non-credit credit card to lower the £10k threshold
    If so, what does that mean for me using the Fronted toggle on/off?

Thegasman

Just had an e-Mail from BA cancelling an FTV from Aug ‘20 & refunding Avios/TFC’s. I know Rob mentioned it was in the pipeline but hadn’t seen any data points. It’s 2,500 Avios & £60.50 for a GIB-LHR.

Matty

Does your Curve account show the charge? It wouldn’t surprise me if it might slip through. I thought you’d get a notification warning you ahead of your transaction but I’ve not done anything to take me over the fronted limit, so don’t know.

I don’t suppose there’s any harm in going back in time – damage is done now..,

Carlos

Does your Curve account show the charge? It wouldn’t surprise me if it might slip through. I thought you’d get a notification warning you ahead of your transaction but I’ve not done anything to take me over the fronted limit, so don’t know.

I don’t suppose there’s any harm in going back in time – damage is done now..,

yes the charge shows but only if you click the transaction, not before the payment was made which was a shame
    its a £75 fee, if i go back in time and change it to debit card I will miss out the points too! (cant be done twice)

SamG

Of Three, Lebara and Lyca only Three PAYG seem to offer free roaming in the US, are you sure it’s available on the other two?

I found Three roaming to be pretty slow in the US but it’s not a bad option if you just want the odd google map or whatsapp etc. 10 quid for a data package. you can then forward your UK number to the Three number to receive inbound calls. Outbound SMS you can send from Skype if you want

Tariq

Hi Panda Mick, is this for T-Mobile? Do you know what their app is called for this eSim?

Sounds like a third party reseller app.

I use similar in website form – Airalo.

https://www.airalo.com/

Vit

Dear Rob et al, I tried to “extend” my 2-4-1 amex voucher by booking a one-way flight (EDI-LHR) and will later turn it into an FTV. I only booked a one-way ticket (EDI-LHR) — will this affect my usage of FTV in the future if I want to use it for return flight booking? Or it does not matter as it will only be difference in avios and surcharge/tax.

Would appreciate if anyone could share their experiences too.

Cheers,
    Vit

slidey

Does anyone know what the fastest/easiest process would be for the following scenario –

I have a cash booking on BA (no avios involved), Ive seen an alternate flight that might be better (on a codeshare) for which Id want to use the voucher from the cancellation of the original booking. If I cancel the original booking do I get an evoucher or an FTV? Can that voucher be used immediately on the alternative booking? Does it need to be done on phone?

George K

Virgin Atlantic offers chance to win Gold for a year, and some points, if you book – today only.

Today only, you can win 1 of 10 Flying Club Gold status for a full year, plus 100,000 Virgin Points when you book a flight or holiday in our brilliant sale. That’s enough for two Premium return tickets to the golden sunsets and shimmering plains of South Africa^. So why not see if you strike gold?

ChrisC

Does anyone know what the fastest/easiest process would be for the following scenario –

I have a cash booking on BA (no avios involved), Ive seen an alternate flight that might be better (on a codeshare) for which Id want to use the voucher from the cancellation of the original booking. If I cancel the original booking do I get an evoucher or an FTV? Can that voucher be used immediately on the alternative booking? Does it need to be done on phone?

I cancelled and got a voucher within minutes the the other day for a cash only booking and used it seconds later online with no problems

AirMax

Has anyone used Iceland bonus card to get gift cards? on the basis that it’s a 4.76% discount?

davefl

Hi All,

A lot of this was covered on a thread a couple of weeks back.

3 roaming in the US is abysmal and will be stopped in May.
    Other networks dont offer free roaming in the US, some have addon packages
    Esims only work on a limited range of recent phone models.

So reasonable alternatives are:
    Buy a US sim from one of the resellers on amazon or ebay.
    Drop into a T-mobile or AT&T shop when you get there and pick up a pay as you go Sim. T-mobile brand theirs as Ultra Mobile Tourist Sim now and they’re pretty good. You may also be able to buy them at the airport from a vending machine or branch of Inmotion if you’re transiting.

ChrisC

will this affect my usage of FTV in the future

No it wont affect how you use it

Mikeact

Hi All,

I usually just go into T-Mobile and get a visitor SIM. I think last time it was around $30 for pretty much unlimited data and calls. they don’t always advertise it, so you might have to specifically ask a rep in the shop[/quote

+1

Cinimo

Sounds like a third party reseller app.

I use similar in website form – Airalo.

https://www.airalo.com/

Thanks everyone for the reply. I’m with giffgaff, and they don’t have any roaming packages.

I was originally looking at Airalo. It seems to be cheaper than going to T-Mobile directly just for a couple of weeks. If you have a referral code for Airalo I’ll happily use it.

Rob
    HfP Staff

Dear Rob et al, I tried to “extend” my 2-4-1 amex voucher by booking a one-way flight (EDI-LHR) and will later turn it into an FTV. I only booked a one-way ticket (EDI-LHR) — will this affect my usage of FTV in the future if I want to use it for return flight booking? Or it does not matter as it will only be difference in avios and surcharge/tax.

Would appreciate if anyone could share their experiences too.

Cheers,
    Vit

No evidence of it being a problem, but I always saw it as a pointless risk to take.

secretsquirrel

How long does BA take to verify your submitted covid documents once submitted?
    Thx

George K

How long does BA take to verify your submitted covid documents once submitted?
    Thx

I’ve had everything from 1 minute flat, to 6 hours. Never any longer.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Tuesday 25th January’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.