Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Tuesday 25th June

• davedent 63 posts

I guess the other thing you need to think about is – would I have bought that class of ticket if I was paying cash. For example I would never pay cash for a first class ticket but I would never travel economy long haul. Also an avios ticket is pretty much fully refundable ( up to 24 hours). I never work out my avios value.

JDB 4,849 posts

@Gordon – the value / restrictiveness of the Barclays voucher depends on your travel pattern and for us it’s useless, so we shall take the 7k for cards and Premier account this year.

The cost of the Avios Plus and Premier/Avios Rewards combined is £324/year in exchange for which I will get 40,400 Avios plus the extra ½ Avios on card spend adding another c. 50k Avios so I’m happy enough with that.

I’m aware that if I used the BUV for long haul Club, I could get much more value than 7k Avios but we don’t really want to travel BA long haul Club. If we are going west, Iberia is the much preferred option (for schedules and service) and if travelling east it needs to be in First or another OW carrier and the voucher can’t be used for either.

Gordon 166 posts

Thanks for your input Anna, as well as earning avios on my BAPP & Barclaycard, I boosted the Barclaycard SUB of 100k avios x 3 with the 10% extra deal so paid around 0.083 per Avios, so by them calculations I guess it’s not a bad deal. I hope you are enjoying your vacation.
    We have a heatwave in most of the uk this week, but I’d rather have your view?

@Froggee
    – I guess I was just hoping for more, I’ve been spoilt using a 241 EX EU, I will probably book this. What makes it worse is I have a few trips this year and also restricted as get back from a Xmas and new year trip from Colombia mid jan, so does not give me much wiggle room to catch up and go again before the expiry date of 31/03.

Thanks again.

Gordon 166 posts

@JDB – Agree re IB, I’ve booked MAD-BOG over the festive period, with a 241 for a great price.
    I have ditched the Avios plus card, and have the free one as a backup for the BAPP, no point having both, I don’t mind flying BA, preferably CS. But we all have different preferences I guess.

TicknBash 56 posts

One benefit of Barclays voucher is the ability to book on someone else’s behalf without the need for the voucher holder to fly as required the 241 requires.
    I’ve used the BUV to book for my parent’s flights out to SEA but as others have said, it is restrictive with UK departures , BA metal and ‘highest’ avios payment options only.

Having said that, it is relatively easy to attain especially with Barclays Premier and too have opted to ‘cash in’ for 7k avios this year.

NorthernLass 8,482 posts

@Gordon, the view is certainly appealing today (the torrential downpours have stopped for now 🤞).

On the subject of having to listen to other people’s conversations from yesterday, it’s mostly Americans here; they don’t do the European-style bagging of loungers at 8am so we’ve had a blissfully quiet couple of hours at the pool. However they then arrive en masse, rending the air with their ear-splitting normal conversations 😂.

I took great pleasure in admonishing in my icy British tones 2 of their equally loud spawn for flouting the pool rules by dive-bombing into 4 feet of water which could have caused them serious injury.

Gordon 166 posts

Haha, yes we are always overrun by Americans when we visit most of the Caribbean islands, I guess it’s easier, cost effective, and a shorter flight for them to pop over to most areas, than it is for us from Europe.

They love to engage for a chat, compared to us from the UK who are quite reserved.

Whatsthepoint 135 posts

Thanks @BA Flyer IHG Stayer and @gordon. Makes sense re crew seat but it still showed me in 4k 4 hours before check in! Very annoying as if I’d known I’d have chosen another window seat. I will definitely get my money back!

Peter K 619 posts

Meanwhile Amy I am in the Ahlan first class lounge in Dubai T1. Blissfully silent. I’m the only person in the dining area. My Rice Krispies were delivered with a flourish by the waiting staff. A good use of the Barclays Dragonpass to avoid the BA lounge on a delayed departure.

And nobody complained about the noise from your snap, crackle and popping?!

Surely the relevant bit you missed was that he was by himself, apart from the staff members 🙂

Tracey 230 posts

Would you add an extra change and add 2 hours to total journey time in order to save £1000 (£500 each)?

Weighing up Phnom Pen – Saigon – Doha – LGW (on QR) total time 19 hours vs Phnom Pen – Kuala Lumpa – LHR (on MH & BA) total 17 hours?

Chas 138 posts

Would you add an extra change and add 2 hours to total journey time in order to save £1000 (£500 each)?

Weighing up Phnom Pen – Saigon – Doha – LGW (on QR) total time 19 hours vs Phnom Pen – Kuala Lumpa – LHR (on MH & BA) total 17 hours?

One thing to factor into your comparison is that the QR flights won’t be eligible for EC261 compensation should you need it…

mrd 27 posts

Why wouldn’t QR flights be eligible? I’m quite a novice to all this, so excuse my ignorance.

JDB 4,849 posts

Why wouldn’t QR flights be eligible? I’m quite a novice to all this, so excuse my ignorance.

Flights from a third country on a third country carrier are not covered by UK261. BA would in fact probably fight any claim for a flight originating in Cambodia with the first sector on MH.

Froggee 1,006 posts

Maybe.

Having once done Siem Reap – Bangkok – Doha – Edinburgh by necessity (which is pretty similar) with work, I would have happily paid £500 of my own money if there had been the option of a one connection trip featuring one big sleep rather than two medium sleeps.

But maybe you would like the extra tier points. Or are more robust than I am. Or didn’t have to do this after spending a day “team building” by cycling between temples in high heat and humidity.

I still remember walking around Bangkok Airport like a zombie because I was worried if I went to the lounge I would fall asleep and miss my flight. I was so so tired.

What is the actual timing of flights? That is very important also!

Tracey 230 posts

Food for thought. Tier points won’t be significant at that point. Sleep will! First flight leaves at 17.30, would leave Doha about midnight, 2 flights of 7 hours after the first short flight. Second routing flight leaves at 18.30, leaves Kuala Lumpar at 23.30. (Time difference in there) All in business, so hopefully asleep on the long stretch. 13 hour flight from Kuala Lumpa.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Tuesday 25th June’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.