Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Tuesday 28th December

Chat thread – Tuesday 28th December

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

Tony1

Morning all

Any recommendations for a hotel in Leicester centre for a weekend in June ? and restaurant options ?

Thanks in advance.

Aston100

Good evening from the Kimpton Times Square.
    Number of hangers = 14, all of which are stealable.
    Initially no kettle supplied because this is a nation of tea hating mutants. Eventually a kettle was dug out from somewhere and I would estimate the value at under £15.
    Number of sheets required per wipe = three.

An excellent hotel overall, though the bar and restaurant are currently closed and the room minibar is empty because apparently Covid might leap out at you when you open the minibar door.
    Kimpton secret phrase = “just chilling”. This led to an entertaining spin the wheel event, watched by numerous bemused non-status guests.
    I was fortunate enough to win the top prize of 10k IHG points.

Received double upgrade, which was surprising at this time of year as hotel is fully booked (to the point where I’m being kicked out two days early as they’re overbooked).

ChrisC

Aston is that the Muse you’re at?

And aren’t they moving you to the IC? How have they sweetened the deal? You asked about this a few weeks ago IIRC.

Blair Waldorf Salad

Aston I am at the other IC, the Barclay (the better one IMO). No kettles here either, just a Keurig machine. Despite my attempts to prominently display the used English Breakfast Tea pods, Housekeeping have only left refills of Green Tea. I have taken to heating the water and using my own stash of bags. I thought I was lucky bringing a Collinson self test with me to avoid finding a test site in NYC. But Aer Lingus are being entirely obtuse and insisting my connection in DUB on the way to MAN means I am required to satisfy Irish entry requirements as well as UK entry requirements. Ireland forbids self-administered tests so my goose is cooked. Please do share any intel on where you go to get tested. P.S. I know Aer Lingus are wrong, but I’m not willing to get into an argument with an officious check in agent at JFK when their service line (who the JFK agent would call to confirm) were the ones promulgating the false info.

Aston100

I am indeed being moved to the IC Times Square (not the Barclay) for my last two nights.
    Not being charged for those two nights, and they’ll provide a taxi to move us.
    That’s pretty much it, but I’m happy with that.
    I imagine the IC may well be regarded as an upgrade, though it’s possible that the room I am allocated will be worse than the generously sized one I’m currently in at the Kimpton.
    I also get to measure the optimum toilet paper threshold at an additional hotel!

In regards to testing, I am genuinely concerned.
    All the (free) testing sites around New York seem to have huge queues outside (I did a six hour tour of Bronx; Queens and Brooklyn, passing by several testing sites).
    I’ve found (through the US government health site) a place in Times Square that does rapid antigen for $40, but they seem to require a US address. They don’t have a phone number so I’ll drop in tomorrow afternoon to enquire further.

John

But Aer Lingus are being entirely obtuse and insisting my connection in DUB on the way to MAN means I am required to satisfy Irish entry requirements as well as UK entry requirements. Ireland forbids self-administered tests so my goose is cooked. Please do share any intel on where you go to get tested. P.S. I know Aer Lingus are wrong, but I’m not willing to get into an argument with an officious check in agent at JFK when their service line (who the JFK agent would call to confirm) were the ones promulgating the false info.

In my view Aer Lingus is correct. Why do you think they are wrong?

Blair Waldorf Salad

Connecting passengers don’t ‘enter’ a country if they remain airside.

mradey

Re. Need an address

Won’t your hotel address do?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by mradey. Reason: reply didn't seem to nestle under post replying to
    SamG

Connecting passengers don’t ‘enter’ a country if they remain airside.

This is Common Travel Area though, I haven’t transitted Dublin before but there will be no passport check on arrival from Ireland-UK so it must be checked in Dublin. This likely counts as an entry

Brighton Belle

Is it any wonder that only the most determined travellers are prepared to navigate this testing complexity. The rest of us mortals are not planning a moonshot holiday requiring NASA’s computers to get us home

johnny

Are there any Blacklane or Add Lee codes circulating? Thank you.

Heath85

Anyone have any idea when the accumulated cash back from the MBNA horizon card should get paid out?

Chrisasaurus

What’s important?

Holiday Inn is my go-to. Tired as hell but excellent location and staff generally good – you’ll be well looked after

Chrisasaurus

Anyone have any idea when the accumulated cash back from the MBNA horizon card should get paid out?

Mine has always paid out on the January statement.

Bill

Has anyone used easyJet flight club Price Guarantee recently:

If you find an equivalent flight cheaper with another airline, then we’ll refund the difference between the flight price on easyJet.com and the other airline’s standard fare and give you an easyJet flight voucher worth 10% of that difference on top.

In the past they’ve issued the voucher during my phone call. This time, they verbally agreed the guarantee but gave me a reference number and escalated it to back office.

It’s now a week later and I haven’t heard anything.

Has the process really changed or has the call centre agent done things incorrectly?

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Tuesday 28th December’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.