Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Tuesday 28th May

• Gavin454 177 posts

Helmets on planes
    Bear with me before dismissing this post with a snort.
    I travel regularly to SE Asia and have definitely experienced a lot more turbulence, (but not much CAT) over the last couple of years. I only get up to go to the loo and am otherwise belted in. Given the incidents recently I have begun to muse whether I should pop my decent lightweight bike helmet in to my carry on. So when I am up and moving I have some protection. And I couldn’t care less what other passengers think btw.
    Thoughts?

Logically if you think the risk of walking around a plane (when seatbelt signs are off) warrants wearing a helmet, you should also wear a helmet walking around outside, in the car, and even when moving around your own home. All of which are more likely to result in injury than being on a plane. You might feel you’re more in control during your normal daily life, but it’s not really true. People rarely injure themselves on purpose.

AL 616 posts

I’m having a @JDB moment: I’m in the breakfast room at the Hilton Kensington,
    and someone has just come in wearing pyjama trousers, flip-flops and…a vest!!

Had similar at the Fairmont WP at Christmas… sigh.

slidey 294 posts

Can you use a Hyatt suite upgrade and lounge access award on the same booking? Guest of Honor awards also get lounge access, dont they?

Niall 114 posts

@slidey – this would probably be better in the Hyatt section. But I believe yes a club access award can be used with a suite upgrade voucher. I would check that the suites don’t come with lounge access already though.

Guest of Honor gives the benefits a globalist would receive, so yes it includes lounge access if there is one and more! Guest of Honor cannot be used with a suite upgrade voucher though.

Lady London 2,140 posts

Bicycle helmets are not rated for very high velocity impacts though.

If the air under your plane suddenly disappears and it drops 30 feet without warning, meaning your head is now 27 feet higher than it was, in less than 1 second, however unfortunately with a plane roof at the beginning of those 27 feet, I am not even sure a motorcycle helmet would help you very much.

So it’s the luck of the draw if that was the moment you were perambulating to the loo. As for a very long time now the advice has been to remain in your seat with belt fastened, perhaps a bit looser, as a default position if there’s no reason you need to get up.

CJD 70 posts

@SamG – I’m the same when it comes to public transport. Far happier on a metro or a tram than I am in a taxi when it comes to getting round new cities.

dougzz99 628 posts

@ChrisBCN Thanks, that tip for the play store worked and I have my US apps. Had to faff around creating another payment method with a random US address

Great news!

I could have done with that a couple of weeks ago. I bought a ticket to the LA Angels on Stubhub, and it stubhubornly refused to appear in my app. The ticket purchase was via the web, was ID’d as a US purchase, and my UK Stubhub app couldn’t find it. The US app refused to work saying my Play Store region didn’t allow this. A lot of to and fro with the Stubhub support didn’t resolve it. In the end I had to setup a new MLB account with an email address matching the US stubhub account to get the ticket. All very annoying.

Grant 117 posts

Relatively insignificant, but can anyone explain why I would have had a small balance of points expire from Accor two days after a points qualifying stay posted to my account?

BajiNahid 169 posts

Bit of a long shot ask, but would anyone possibly have a Hilton gold status that they may want to possibly give away? I have a stay coming up this weekend and unfortunately currently I am at silver atm and it would make the stay a lot more sweeter. It is much appreciated!

drdan 106 posts

Could this be expanded..I’m UK based and in the US twice a year…cant get half the apps I want when I’m there via the play store..

drdan 106 posts

That was to @ChrisBCN

tw33ty 205 posts

I hope it was at the very least a high quality pjs and flip flops, or I would have choked on my coco pops and tutted in disgust

Sikadu 1 post

Does the “My Flightpath” on BAEC work for anyone? My hasn’t recorded any flight so seems pointless having such a functionality if it doesn’t work.

dougzz99 628 posts

Could this be expanded..I’m UK based and in the US twice a year…cant get half the apps I want when I’m there via the play store..

You can only switch Play regions once a year, so there’s no real workaround.

The workaround is to have two google accounts – one for each country you need. You just switch the account within the play store when you need to.

Wiseoldman 123 posts

It is fairly easy to set up multiple country accounts for google play store

https://www.tripofalifestyle.com/gear-and-tips/change-country-google-play/#:~:text=Make%20a%20Second%20Google%20Account%20to%20Change%20App%20Store%20Region&text=With%20two%20Google%20accounts%2C%20you,store%20in%20the%20foreign%20country.

ChrisBCN 293 posts

@drdan
    Open the play store.
    Click your initial (or picture) at the top right.
    Click the funny little arrow to the right of your name & email.
    Click ‘add another account’.
    Follow the steps to create a new account – choosing US as your country.
    Enjoy!

Whenever you want to switch between UK & US, repeat the first 3 steps and choose the account you need.

davestat 29 posts

Off to Portugal tomorrow. Having just done check in, it now says we are flying “Business “ instead of CE and my Award Wallet up date specifically shows CE scrubbed out and replaced by Business as well. And using Public Transport to get there – walking, bussing and finally the train. Cheap but takes forever and it’s always just a 3 carriage train, which will be rammed as it is half term

Stu_N 117 posts

Have an overnight layover at Heathrow in the summer and looking for a hotel with a decent pool. Looking at this old article:

https://www.headforpoints.com/2017/08/06/which-hotel-at-heathrow-has-the-best-swimming-pool/

Raddison or CP look like best options – however CP seems to be closed at the moment. We arrive around 1930 and our onward flight is 1300ish so could go somewhere half an hour away if necessary.

(EDIT – its a pool for adults actually swim in.)

AL 616 posts

Currently in the AA Admirals lounge BNA, which is okay but a million times better than BA lounge at LHR on Sat 18th May which was like a human zoo and no functioning aircon, it was a disgrace. Upon arrival here I asked for an IPA, the abrupt ” Its not complimentary” set the scene, I just accepted the ‘free’ bud lite.

I was in there on the 27th; promptly left for Ole Red downstairs for wings, a pint and live music. Likewise, 17th May was a sh*tshow at LHR – lounges were a zoo, far too hot, eventually ended up decamping in T5B lounges which were a little better.

Personally, wondering why VS aren’t considering BNA… or maybe they are.

AL 616 posts

Off to Portugal tomorrow. Having just done check in, it now says we are flying “Business “ instead of CE and my Award Wallet up date specifically shows CE scrubbed out and replaced by Business as well. And using Public Transport to get there – walking, bussing and finally the train. Cheap but takes forever and it’s always just a 3 carriage train, which will be rammed as it is half term

IB operated flight, perhaps?

JDB 4,643 posts

@SamG – I’m the same when it comes to public transport. Far happier on a metro or a tram than I am in a taxi when it comes to getting round new cities.

The metro can often be a very efficient way of getting around but if I’m in a new city I want to see the city, not be stuck underground.

Froggee 986 posts

Hop on hop off bus @JDB?

QFFlyer 163 posts

Not much nicer in Australia to be fair, 9°C this morning (Melbourne). That’s why I went to Fiji for the weekend!

QFFlyer 163 posts

Google are surprisingly good at this, I wish Apple were the same. I can keep the apps on my phone from other countries, but need multiple Apple IDs to get them in the first place (can’t change countries of your existing ID while you have subscriptions attached to your account until they’ve expired – which could be up to a year away).

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Tuesday 28th May’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.