Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Tuesday 4th January

Chat thread – Tuesday 4th January

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

Andrew.

For those anxiously awaiting their annual MBNA rebate, mine is showing as pending today.

Gary

Just want to double check. About to refund a long haul flight BA cancelled which contains a BAPP voucher expiring 12 Jan 22. One can still make a short haul redemption then take FTV to preserve the voucher for future use?

Guernsey Globetrotter

Just want to double check. About to refund a long haul flight BA cancelled which contains a BAPP voucher expiring 12 Jan 22. One can still make a short haul redemption then take FTV to preserve the voucher for future use?

Gary, if your existing booking contains a BAPP 2-4-1 (and therefore by association also avios as a redemption booking) then the act of cancelling this will result in a FTV containing the 2-4–1, avios and all cash paid in fees/taxes. This FTV will then be valid until 30/9/2023 as per current BA policy. No need at all for you to do a separate booking. This short haul approach you describe above is only needed if you have an unused 2-4-1 about to expire.

AJA

At GG you say “No need at all for you to do a separate booking. This short haul approach you describe above is only needed if you have an unused 2-4-1 about to expire”. This is true except that Gary may have a lot of Avios and cash tied up in the existing booking. If he gets a refund then books a short haul 2-4-1 he has more flexibility and less Avios and cash tied up in the FTV.

But, I don’t understand why he is asking for a refund at all; if BA cancelled his flight he has much more flexibility and rights under EC/UK261 as he can book a flight to original destination at his convenience without requiring reward seat availability. He may have to go MCOL to get his flights paid for by BA if they are claiming ticket validity issues.

Jonathan12345

Will booking a one way flight from Jersey to London using a 241 voucher that is due to expire shortly protect the voucher and it that the most economical way to do it ?

AJA

I think any short haul economy class route requiring 4500 TP works. Jer-Lon minimises taxes but I thought 2-4-1’s you paid £35 in RFS taxes and fees regardless.

NorthernLass

Yes, you don’t get variable avios pricing with the 241, however you can book a one way and pay 2 x £17.50 on a UK domestic route which involves minimal outlay to protect the voucher till Sep 23.

NorthernLass

@Gary – you have your re-routing rights but if you now want to change destination or defer your decision you can get a full refund of avios, cash and voucher (hopefully voucher will reappear immediately), then book and cancel a RFS for a FTV valid till Sep 23.

RobL

I did this a few days ago. It cost me £15.20 total for one way two pax. Cancelled via web link for FTV which was received within 2 hours.

Gary

Thanks all. Initially going for MCOL but feel prospect of going to BKK within next year is probably low as steering clear of any arrival testing. Thought of MCOL and then having to deal with another airline’s change/refund policies for the replacement tickets swung me to refund (well fingers crossed the voucher refunds before expiration).

Keith

Hi all, had a bunch of Turkish Airlines airmiles on the brink of expiry so panic booked a trip, business to Dubai 31 March – 6th April. Have never been to Dubai before and have noticed that I’ll be travelling there as Ramadan begins. Would be keen to hear from anyone with experience as to how travelling during this period might change what’s on offer to tourists or anything tourists like me should be mindful of etc. Looking forward to it, but have absolutely no idea what to expect.

lgee

Looking at the Capital on Tap credit card offer…. wondering, is it worth setting up a company just to make use of this? I see it can be done for around £15 and pretty quickly online… I guess the downside would be tax returns, etc… so probably not worth it.

JerrySignfield

Looking at the Capital on Tap credit card offer…. wondering, is it worth setting up a company just to make use of this? I see it can be done for around £15 and pretty quickly online… I guess the downside would be tax returns, etc… so probably not worth it.

Absolutely not worth it at all, you would have to file accounts for the first year and pay to close the business down, thats assuming you even got accepted which is unlikely seeing as they won’t even accept some established businesses with big turnovers.

TheOtherN

A little conundrum for HfP experts:

Recently hired a car from a low tier EU company in Spain for a week. They allowed me to book and pay online with an Amex Plat. When I went to pick up the keys from the desk, I did the usual dance of them offering overpriced insurance and me declining it as it was covered by the Amex. (There was also a refundable fuel charge.) Naturally, they wanted pre-auth on a card for the excess. No problem, here’s the Amex I paid with. But they said they couldn’t accept the Amex as they “couldn’t return the money” on that card.

Sounds like twaddle to me. I’ve done pre-auth on the Amex with other hire companies. They held firm. I had to scrabble around for an emergency card to offer up, tried a couple which they didn’t accept, which is a pain, and pay a few quid in foreign currency card fees for this.

They had the Amex logo displayed on the hire booth wall. I’ve never had an issue doing pre-auth on the Plat. I am disproportionatly peeved by the couple of quid fee.

Is there any truth in their claim that they can’t return the money on the Plat? Is it something I can report to Amex? If I did, what would be the benefit? And how would I go about it?

Bill

This might well be a stupid question – so apologies in adance… I have purchased a Samsonite Base Boost – Upright S Hand Luggage, 55 cm, 41 Litre, Blue (Navy Blue). There are a couple of plastic tubes that are cable tied to the metal poles where the hande retracts. Should they be removed ?

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Tuesday 4th January’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.