Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Tuesday 5th July

Chat thread – Tuesday 5th July

Topic closed
  • Tony1

Thank you @brian I would not have found the link.

Philondon

Are posts on here moderated? I’ve typed a reply twice and it’s not showing.

Just in case web links are moderated….

In answer to the mobile sim in the US, Google Connect by T-Mobile.

That’s what I use in the US.

jsto

Anyone know if Amex Gold Priority Pass 2x free lounge visits “carry over”? Don’t think I used mine last year, so wondered if I will have 2 passes this year or 4 (notwithstanding actually getting into a lounge…)

SteveJ

Anyone know if Amex Gold Priority Pass 2x free lounge visits “carry over”? Don’t think I used mine last year, so wondered if I will have 2 passes this year or 4 (notwithstanding actually getting into a lounge…)

They do not, use it or lose it.

SamG

I’ve finally decided to go in with Barclaycard Avios Plus, and will cancel my HSBC Premier WE card once I have the new BC (fully) setup.

I applied as a new Barclays customer and had immediate acceptance and was granted a healthy 5 figure credit limit – slightly above what my HSBC Premier WE card is.

I applied via Rob’s link of course and now await the card then start the fun with Apply Pay & Curve. Have a 26 day US road trip in August, so if I crack Curve I will hit the spend bonus criteria very easily.

Wanted to share as a data point in case it helps others decide whether to go for it during the additional SUB period.

Just a bit of warning, there are problems when linking your avios to curve, its not clear what the fix is but its something related to 2FA

I eventually linked it to Curve by calling 0800 161 5306 a couple of times and eventually getting someone who could authorise the curve 2FA transaction their side whilst on the phone. Once linked I put the card away and just use it via Curve with no problems

SamG

I’m like the bad penny here and back asking for next steps, in fairly layman’s terms.
    Here’s the brief story again. Return flight from Palma to Edinburgh cancelled by BA with only a few hours notice. For my daughter and myself. Offered only PMI—LGW 2 days later arriving evening then onward on day 3 from LHR or LCY at 07.00 roughly. Asked for re-routing (several times) and refused. Asked for BA PMI-SOU the following day (then onwards with Loganair)to be told twice the flight was full. It was not. Told agent we had a family problem and needed to get home. Still refused. Booked ourselves on the BA PMI-SOU on BA.com and onwards with Loganair. BA refusing to pay for flights, just the sundries only. Have contacted them twice and stalemate. I understood they had to get you back to your destination as soon as possible and they lied about seats on the Southampton flight as we were checking them ourselves while talking to the agent.
    What are my next steps please or is it as they have told me, “contact your insurance company”?
    (It’s immaterial to the claim but the family problem on the Friday became my daughter’s husbands unexpected death on the Saturday and her stress levels were bad enough without the prospect of not getting home till the Tuesday which BA offered).

@NorthernLass
    @JDB sorry can’t remember any of the other knowledgeable folks to tag but you know who you are. Sorry to be still asking about this but it’s a brick wall.

First of all sorry for you & your daughters loss. There is no rush to deal with this matter – you have 6 years.

I’m no expert so hopefully below is all correct!

At this stage I’d put in an insurance claim, enclosing BAs refusal and make them aware of the circumstances as you are likely also covered under their “cut short” coverage. You’d likely get a payout minus the original cost of the BA flights, which you can then ask BA for a refund of.

Otherwise BA are liable for the cost of the flights. I would send a short letter before action (templates online e.g. Which) via signed for delivery

Legal Department, Waterside, PO BOX 365, Harmondsworth, UB7 0GB

Outlining that you called at X date/time following their cancellation to exercise your right to re-routing at the earliest possible opportunity (as per Article 8 of EC261). The alternative offered by British Airways was three days in the future which was not acceptable nor the earliest available. You identified your own reasonable rerouting – supply details – and are requesting reimbursement – receipts enclosed.

You also require your €250 pp as per Article 7 of EC261 for a cancellation with less than 7 days notice

If they do not respond or respond negatively then file MCOL

SMB

@SamG. Thank you very much. I know I’m within my rights but it’s like battering your head off a wall. I have proof of everything including all the calls, which I had provided. Their lies, and point blank refusal beggars belief. Pity help the people who do not have folks like you to help. Thanks again. S x

degsy

Assume this is widely known but you never know. I’ve just completed a two night stay at a Marriott hotel – these were booked on two separate reward bookings (booked this way following Marriott’s announcement of moving to dynamic pricing). I’ve received the amenity gift of 500 points for each night. (There was a little bit of ‘hassle’ on the first morning as I needed to check out then immediately check back in to keep the same room but, other than that, it was seemless.)

SamG

@SamG. Thank you very much. I know I’m within my rights but it’s like battering your head off a wall. I have proof of everything including all the calls, which I had provided. Their lies, and point blank refusal beggars belief. Pity help the people who do not have folks like you to help. Thanks again. S x

If I was the boss I would hold my hands up and accept it’s a sh*t show and be pretty liberal with paying out these claims to prevent further loss of goodwill from/hassle for my customers. They aren’t stupid, they know the regs too and there isn’t much scope to defraud them if they have a quick look at your booking and see it was indeed cancelled.

Especially frustrating in your case as they 100% could have rebooked you BA-LM at the call centre had you got through to someone who has a clue what they’re doing, so the fact you had to pay yourself to fly on their own bloody flight is even more ridiculous!

JoshO

I have 1 x spare ticket for tomorrow evening. please email me if interested: [email protected]

MarkSX

Planning to fly to either Palermo or Crete late July / early August. I was hearing someone say that from this Friday, airlines do not have to operate a minimum number of flights to keep their landing slots and so more flights might be cancelled given the shortage of staff / chaos over Europe.

Is that actually right? That also does not mean the airline will publish all the flights being cancelled on Friday right? Rather keen to lock down the flights / hotels before price start creeping up…

MarkSX

Also, how does Palermo compare to Crete?

Princess

I have 1 x spare ticket for tomorrow evening. please email me if interested: [email protected]

Hi Josh0, I’ve just sent you an email if the ticket is still available!

SMB

@SamG yes it is unbelievable. I was speaking to the CS agent in Exec Club while my daughter was checking on BA.com and seats were showing but he still said the flight was full! Not much else you can do when dealing with those who can’t do their job. But then whoever deals with claims is no better. We had to book ourselves on their own damn flight and it’s on my BA account. No wonder I’m ageing by the minute. I’ll need another holiday after this. I’ve travelled the world in my many years and never had to deal with so much s**t and would be in a worse state without your help and the others on this forum. Cheers!

Scottpat78

Thank you @SamG. I will call that number if all else fails.

I’ve finally decided to go in with Barclaycard Avios Plus, and will cancel my HSBC Premier WE card once I have the new BC (fully) setup.

I applied as a new Barclays customer and had immediate acceptance and was granted a healthy 5 figure credit limit – slightly above what my HSBC Premier WE card is.

I applied via Rob’s link of course and now await the card then start the fun with Apply Pay & Curve. Have a 26 day US road trip in August, so if I crack Curve I will hit the spend bonus criteria very easily.

Wanted to share as a data point in case it helps others decide whether to go for it during the additional SUB period.

Just a bit of warning, there are problems when linking your avios to curve, its not clear what the fix is but its something related to 2FA

I eventually linked it to Curve by calling 0800 161 5306 a couple of times and eventually getting someone who could authorise the curve 2FA transaction their side whilst on the phone. Once linked I put the card away and just use it via Curve with no problems

• This reply was modified 52 years, 7 months ago by .
    travelsutra

Hi all- I am looking for ONE ticket for tomorrow’s party, if anyone’s got a spare pls let me know. Thanks. Manish.

bettsd007

Long shot I know, but if anyone has 2 tickets for tomorrow I’d love to purchase them off you. I’ll be in London with the wife and she’d love to party 🙂
    Thanks for reading.

Smudgerman

Cross-post from FT a quick question around my BA PP credit card downgrading/cancellation and 2-4-1 vouchers for the UK if anyone knows pls ?

I’ve two vouchers (old and new style) on my BA PP AMEX card. The FT wiki says if I downgrade the card to a free one I keep the vouchers with their two year validity. My question is, can I cancel the card entirely and keep the vouchers too ?

I know I need to use an Amex card to use the vouchers, my plan being to use my partner card from my wife’s BA PP AMEX account for this.

Am I looking for two much here, or is this even possible please (?). Grateful your knowledge or experience please, as a new application for a Barclaycard follows this next 😉 ?

JDB

Cross-post from FT a quick question around my BA PP credit card downgrading/cancellation and 2-4-1 vouchers for the UK if anyone knows pls ?

I’ve two vouchers (old and new style) on my BA PP AMEX card. The FT wiki says if I downgrade the card to a free one I keep the vouchers with their two year validity. My question is, can I cancel the card entirely and keep the vouchers too ?

I know I need to use an Amex card to use the vouchers, my plan being to use my partner card from my wife’s BA PP AMEX account for this.

Am I looking for two much here, or is this even possible please (?). Grateful your knowledge or experience please, as a new application for a Barclaycard follows this next 😉 ?

While you are looking for ‘two (sic) much here’, it appears as to be accepted by Amex at present although it is a) technically a breach of the terms of the voucher and b) obviously unfair and to the detriment of the vast majority of BAPP cardholders who pay the full annual fee each year. The bizarre ability to do this may not remain the position forever.

• This reply was modified 52 years, 7 months ago by .
    Lady London

@SMB please let us know how you get on.

SMB

@Lady London. Thank you, I will. Sorry you are always so knowledgeable too but couldn’t quite remember when tagging. I’m not violent by any means but could happily slap someone around the chops! I hope I’m an isolated case and this is not the new customer service continuing to circle the drain. Thanks again.

Smudgerman

While you are looking for ‘two (sic) much here’, it appears as to be accepted by Amex at present although it is a) technically a breach of the terms of the voucher and b) obviously unfair and to the detriment of the vast majority of BAPP cardholders who pay the full annual fee each year. The bizarre ability to do this may not remain the position forever.

Thanks for replying (and pointing out my typo 😳) … I recognise the voucher terms piece (hence the question) though maybe not quite the impact suggested that me cancelling a card has on other card holders who presumably still derive the benefits they pay for – no ?

Irrespective though, I’m grateful for you taking the time to respond, thank you 🙏

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Tuesday 5th July’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.