Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Wednesday 22nd May

• Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,303 posts

This is today’s chat thread.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

S879 114 posts

The United Airlines offer on Amex is expiring tomorrow. If I book a flight tonight will I be fine?

NorthernLass 8,262 posts

The payment needs to clear before the offer expires so you might be cutting it a bit fine.

tw33ty 206 posts

Good morning from the moxy Bastille Paris.

I would tell everyone to avoid this hotel like the plague.

280 euro a night for shoe box room, only slightly bigger than the alleged double bed, that 5”11” me has my feet hanging out off.

Very noisy (not the guests) but from the outside, terrible smells coming from the drains so the whole room smells.

On the plus side, the pillows are really good!

AirMax 34 posts

@tw33ty if you’ve checked bed for bugs and it’s clear, you’re already ahead!

NorthernLass 8,262 posts

Sacré bleu, @tw33ty! Perhaps it should be the Poxy Bastille Paris.

From SeatSpy just now – plenty of CW to SYD and KUL Apr/May ’25, masses to MLE (esp Nov & Dec), a smattering to TYO (including 4 x CW return on May 10th).

NorthernLass 8,262 posts

@Rob and co, don’t know if you saw the recent thread re Virgin dropping UVF again (from next April) – might be worth an article? It seems to be something of an on and off route depending on how VS’s negotiations with St Lucia’s government go!

BBbetter 775 posts

Good time to buy points? Thanks CPI!

BBbetter 775 posts

GBPJPY to hit 200? Anyone with plans to travel there, good time to hedge your costs.

southlondonphil 15 posts

Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge, which has been closed since 2020, is being demolished/rebuilt and will reopen (projected for 2026) as the SO/ Budapest

https://dailynewshungary.com/sofitel-budapest-chain-bridge-to-be-replaced-by-a-new-hotel-chain-with-magnificent-danube-views/

Just Nick 17 posts

Hi HfP,

Sat in the Al Safwa Lounge which is spectacular. I am coming home via Sofia and have a 9 hour wait between flights. Won’t be able to go airside until I can check in to the BA flight. Any ideas for how to kill 9 hours landside with luggage at Sofia Airport. Open to all ideas however left field.

Just Nick

mrhbeats 6 posts

Hi all.
    Got to travel on the 7am Edi to Lcy tomorrow for first time in a long time.
    Seen some recent horror stories about Edi security in the early hours so going to buy fast track to help ease the pain. Can you still get in through the multi story car park? I’m arriving by taxi and just wondering if I can get through that way to avoid the hell that is Edinburgh check in / departures?

PeteM 778 posts

Hi HfP,

Sat in the Al Safwa Lounge which is spectacular. I am coming home via Sofia and have a 9 hour wait between flights. Won’t be able to go airside until I can check in to the BA flight. Any ideas for how to kill 9 hours landside with luggage at Sofia Airport. Open to all ideas however left field.

Just Nick

You could easily go into town in a taxi in that time and have a nice meal and stroll around, but not entirely sure where you’d store your luggage. The whole airport is being comprehensively redeveloped right now, so what was true yesterday may not be true tomorrow.

Colin MacKinnon 298 posts

Japan – which would you choose? JAL or Qatar?

Seems the same price on Qatar’s site (80,000 avios plus same cash) for JAL to Doha and then Qatar to Edinburgh as it is for Qatar all the way through.

Qatar is a 777 flight. And I am not a fan of the doors on Q-suites. Quite fancy the Japanese catering.

JDB 4,643 posts

There were big storage lockers at the airport and I believe there are some at metro stations like Serdika as well and it’s only 15-20 mins to town. Alternatively, for free storage leave your bags at one of the hotels, eg the IC which is right next to the St Kliment metro stop. Obviously it would be polite too have a drink or eat something there! Quite a few restaurants with big outdoor spaces where luggage wouldn’t be an issue either. Loads of options to make a highly enjoyable stopover.

davefl 1,413 posts

Hi HfP,

Just Nick

Head into the station area and you’ll find luggage lockers like this https://www.lockstars.eu/

Plenty of other options, search google maps for luggage storage in the area. I’ve done it in loads of countries/cities.

Hilton will sell you a room for day use but it’s 125 euro. There may be cheaper options

BBbetter 775 posts

Seems the same price on Qatar’s site (80,000 avios plus same cash) for JAL to Doha and then Qatar to Edinburgh as it is for Qatar all the way through.

Qatar is a 777 flight. And I am not a fan of the doors on Q-suites. Quite fancy the Japanese catering.

JAL, no question. Even if you wanted to try QR, you could do it on any other future trip flying east.
    Is there no availability on any JAL routes to other European cities? I’d rather take a longer flight on JAL and short haul economy.

Supergers49 236 posts

Hi all.
    Got to travel on the 7am Edi to Lcy tomorrow for first time in a long time.
    Seen some recent horror stories about Edi security in the early hours so going to buy fast track to help ease the pain. Can you still get in through the multi story car park? I’m arriving by taxi and just wondering if I can get through that way to avoid the hell that is Edinburgh check in / departures?

Yes you can. It makes for excellent value in my experience.

Drolma-la 8 posts

Why is the BA.com website so busy that it’s impossible to log on?

Gavin454 177 posts

If it’s an overnight flight I would probably choose QR because I find JAL flights to be uncomfortably hot, too hot to sleep.

xefo 49 posts

Thanks @JDB for your help yesterday, inputting the BAEC numbers on the API solved the problem and now I can see the flight in the BA app. I’d like to select and pay for the seats in advance but am unable too (neither through BA or Iberia). Is this to do with the flight being a year away in May-25, or is calling and booking over the phone our only option?

n166 12 posts

Hi guys, random question that i haven’t had much luck online with. My auntie lives in Mauritius and has a British and Mauritian passport. She just arrived in the UK and is here for 3 weeks. While she’s here, she wanted to renew her British passport as it expires next year. It says the process takes 8 weeks and she would get the docs sent to Mauritius

The only question is – she arrived on her UK passport. Would she be allowed to leave the UK on her Mauritian passport? She won’t have the British passport to show when she leaves the UK/lands in Mauritius as it’ll be with the UK authorities for renewal. So the question is, can you enter the UK on one passport and return back to another country on a different passport?

JDB 4,643 posts

@xefo – IB often doesn’t publish the seat maps at the time they open flights for booking. There’s no specific time that they do publish them and an earlier flight might have its map available long before a later one. You can see whether a seating map exists in ExpertFlyer but no sure if you have to pay for that feature whereas BA/IB or other OW airlines will just say they are unable to book the seats. If you keep checking in the IB app every couple of weeks, they will appear! If you have connecting flights, the map for both flights may be released at different times.

Nico 5 posts

Should be, I did yesterday and immediately got an email that the offer is good. Ticket was just above 700 so incredible offer.

PeteM 778 posts

Hi guys, random question that i haven’t had much luck online with. My auntie lives in Mauritius and has a British and Mauritian passport. She just arrived in the UK and is here for 3 weeks. While she’s here, she wanted to renew her British passport as it expires next year. It says the process takes 8 weeks and she would get the docs sent to Mauritius

The only question is – she arrived on her UK passport. Would she be allowed to leave the UK on her Mauritian passport? She won’t have the British passport to show when she leaves the UK/lands in Mauritius as it’ll be with the UK authorities for renewal. So the question is, can you enter the UK on one passport and return back to another country on a different passport?

There are no UK exit immigration checks, so it will not be a problem. But chances are she may well get her passport back long before she goes back to Mauritius.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Wednesday 22nd May’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.