Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Wednesday 22nd May

• ceebee 1 post

Just a note for anyone looking to utilise the United deal before it expires tomorrow on Amex. I managed to spot some good PE fares in September (looking at £850 – so £500 after cashback – for LON to NYC return September 9/10/11 returning various dates between 2/3 weeks later). Thought I’d mentioned as only lucked upon them when searching economy fares, they don’t come up on Kayak, bizarrely, but do on United.com…

NorthernLass 8,262 posts

@n166 – As above – my OH’s aunty came over from Bermuda last year (long saga with her ending up in hospital for 3 months!), and renewed her UK passport while she was here – it arrived back in less than 2 weeks.

But if she has to return on the other passport, UK Border Force don’t care what passport you have on the way out of the UK! However – make sure it matches what’s on her travel documentation so there are no issues with the airline. Numerous reports these days of people being denied boarding over some discrepancy in their travel docs, whether genuine or as a result of a mistake by the airline.

Super Secret Stuff 363 posts

From what I can tell so far, Avios Mobile, IAGs prospective eSIM platform, has been scrapped?

Instagram account deleted, was originally due to launch in May and it’s nearly the end of May…

aseftel 279 posts

Alternatively, for free storage leave your bags at one of the hotels, eg the IC which is right next to the St Kliment metro stop. Obviously it would be polite too have a drink or eat something there! Quite a few restaurants with big outdoor spaces where luggage wouldn’t be an issue either. Loads of options to make a highly enjoyable stopover.

Assuming it’s a daytime layover, I think this is the right idea. 30 mins on the metro to the IC. Have lunch there out on the terrace and store your luggage with them, then you’ve got a few hours to check out the cathedral and basilica round the corner and do a lap of the Doctors’ garden.

executiveclubber 307 posts

From what I can tell so far, Avios Mobile, IAGs prospective eSIM platform, has been scrapped?

Instagram account deleted, was originally due to launch in May and it’s nearly the end of May…

The Instagram was never claimed to be official and there wasn’t a website or press briefing, so not sure how solid this ever was. I think they’re looking into data roaming as a group though. It makes a lot of sense as extra revenue driver – what better place to advertise roaming data than on a plane! You could even allow setup via free wifi for people (like me) who forget before they fly…

xefo 49 posts

If you keep checking in the IB app every couple of weeks, they will appear!

That’s a great shout, thanks, looks like the seat maps are published till about mid-April 2025 so will check in a few weeks. The seats themselves are a lot cheaper than expected too vs BA…

SamG 1,683 posts

Norse operating P&O cruise charters this winter along with TUI and Virgin Atlantic. Seems a sensible idea, their large premium cabin will go down well with P&O customers !

Swifty 36 posts

Hey, do all qatar avios bookings pool from ba household account or how do i make a booking when one of us has a bigger chunk but not enough to buy the whole ticket in avios…confused as to how I can do this..many thanks

NorthernLass 8,262 posts

I think it might only be possible to use avios from your own account, unless everyone in your household opens a QR account – but you might be able to book the same flight on ba.com which would take the avios from your HHA pro-rata.

davefl 1,413 posts

Not the usual HFP mode of transport, but hello from a car ferry, halfway between Delaware and New Jersey

davefl 1,413 posts

Not the usual HFP mode of transport, but hello from a car ferry, halfway between Delaware and New Jersey

Just discovered from a local that amtrack run drive on overnight trains in some regions… You learn something every day. Something to think about for a future trip

Connor 3 posts

Would it be good value to use 25k Avios to upgrade to Qsuite for the short hop from BLR to DOH? If you assume an Avios is worth 1p then it’s cheaper than the cash upgrade. The flight does depart at 4am, but I’ve never experienced Qsuite and am unsure if/when the opportunity would arise again.

Jill Kinkell 160 posts

Reply to &PeteM and @n166. My passport arrived this morning. Online submission last Wednesday, sent off old passport Thursday. Monday email approved and delivered before 10am today!

BBbetter 775 posts

Would it be good value to use 25k Avios to upgrade to Qsuite for the short hop from BLR to DOH? If you assume an Avios is worth 1p then it’s cheaper than the cash upgrade. The flight does depart at 4am, but I’ve never experienced Qsuite and am unsure if/when the opportunity would arise again.

Isnt it operated by Indigo on an A320? You dont get even a recliner seat on that.

Edit: There’s an A350 by QR 10 mins after above. If you desperately need a 3 hour sleep on a flat bed, go for it, else, save your avios. Its a night flight all they way, so lights will be switched off as soon as possible.

Swifty 36 posts

Northern lass..booked it thanks so much I went thru BA, you always help and reply to people and frankly people don’t say thanks enough in the world! Also on a day when I’ve realised I can binge watch Chelsea flower show, I’ve managed to somehow find the unicorn of using my etihad points! I will prob regret this but I’ve spent them on the a380 lhr 1st class. Only for the in flight caviar and I think they may have a shower, rest of my trip I’ll be in hostels with 20 something year olds and on trains but hey, the Insta will love that!

NorthernLass 8,262 posts

You’re welcome, and that all sounds fabulous apart from the hostels! I went camping in Spain after my A levels and realised at that point that budget travel wasn’t really for me 😂 (well, apart from flying to the Maldives with Air Tours in the 90s).

JS 11 posts

Who pays for the united offer, united or Amex?

Connor 3 posts

Isnt it operated by Indigo on an A320? You dont get even a recliner seat on that.

Edit: There’s an A350 by QR 10 mins after above. If you desperately need a 3 hour sleep on a flat bed, go for it, else, save your avios. Its a night flight all they way, so lights will be switched off as soon as possible.

I hadn’t considered that it would be in darkness the whole way. Perhaps not the best way to experience Qsuite then. Thanks for giving me something to think about!

CJD 75 posts

If it’s something you want to experience and you might not get the chance to again then I’d do it.

I spent 12,750 Avios and £30 to fly business class on the A350 from Madrid to London on Iberia. Haven’t ever travelled like that before – yes, by going to London I then had to connect to Glasgow on BA, which wasn’t as convenient as waiting an hour and getting the easyJet flight back to Edinburgh from Madrid would have been, but I had an absolutely lovely day of travel and for me it was money and Avios well spent.

Connor 3 posts

If it’s something you want to experience and you might not get the chance to again then I’d do it.

I spent 12,750 Avios and £30 to fly business class on the A350 from Madrid to London on Iberia. Haven’t ever travelled like that before – yes, by going to London I then had to connect to Glasgow on BA, which wasn’t as convenient as waiting an hour and getting the easyJet flight back to Edinburgh from Madrid would have been, but I had an absolutely lovely day of travel and for me it was money and Avios well spent.

Glad you hear you enjoyed it. I’ve got plenty of time to make my mind up, it’s not for a few months yet. I just worry the following leg from Doha to home might be miserable in comparison.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Wednesday 22nd May’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.