Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Wednesday 23rd February

Chat thread – Wednesday 23rd February

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

ecugkq30

Morning, following on from an article a few weeks ago can anyone advise if the lounge offering at the Intercontinental Paris Le Grand has improved at all? At the time it was a shadow of its pre Covid self but wanted to ask in case anyone has been recently. Also, an AMB question; if I book a club level room to get lounge access and then my AMB status automatically upgrades me to the next room up but it doesn’t have lounge access, do you lose it? Thanks!

yonasl

Good morning. British Holidays question here: say I book 2 distinct holidays with them. As you know one only has to pay a small deposit (say £150) and remaining payment can be delayed until 7 weeks before the flight. Right now you can cancel the holiday anytime and get a travel voucher (to the value of your deposit). Can that money then be used to pay the remaining balance on the second holiday? Or do I need to use it on a brand new holiday?

PeteM

Morning all! I was wondering if anyone has experience upgrading to J at check-in with AA at LHR? Flying to PHL on Saturday in W. Do they offer this and what sort of additional cost would one be looking at?

Nepweno

I had a flight cancelled on Thursday due to the storm and was rebooked for Sunday I assume Virgin wont pay for my additional costs as it was beyond their control. Can I claim from travel insurance ? –

I have Curve Metal and Amex plat but used BA Amex to book so don’t think I can claim under platinum inconvenience as not paid on the platinum card but can I claim under the travel insurance policy of either Amex or Curve Metal and if so which is better to use as both appear to be with AXA ?

Lady London

@nepweno the airline must pay any extra hotel costs and all meal costs (at reasonable local rates generally no alcohol or cigars) that are required because of a flight cancellation or delay by the operating airline. For however many nights or meals are required in the time before another flight is provided. Plus transport to and from the hotel and internet or a couple of phone calls.

This, absolutely 100% if it falls under EU261 or UK261. Virgin does. It’s called duty of care. The airline is required to provide duty of care regardless of the reason for flight delay or cancellation. Regardless of weather or absolutely any other reason.

Keep all receipts and claim. If the airline refuses or hasn’t agreed to pay out in full after 8 weeks (and ideally 3 contacts by you in that period trying) or says that’s their final answer or refuses to deal with it or ignores you, follow the Letter Before Action procedure covered here on Headforpoints in various threads under the “Flight Changes and Cancellations” topic then choose MCOL or whichever arbitration scheme the airline is signed up to.

Compensation can be avoided for exceptional circumstances beyond airline control such as weather and very few other things. Airlines try to claim all sorts of things are beyind their control or exceptional but these are mostly refused by courts and anyway this exemption only gets them off compo not off duty of care. Duty of care is a different thing and always, always payable.

***”Beyond our control*** is ***NEVER*** a reason allowed to refuse duty of care. NEVER.

PS it’s always best if you made at least one attempt to ask the airline to provide the care. This proves you gave them an opportunity before you were forced to arrange your own. But in circumstances of many delays or cancellations with huge queues or impossibility to find a representative of the airline to help or even the fact that they’re not answering their phones etc, this isn’t always possible and you have a 100% right to reimbursement and don’t be put off.

• This reply was modified 52 years, 6 months ago by .
    Lady London

PS your travel insurance for travel delay is likely to deduct what you should get from the airline if you’ve got very decent insurance they might pay you out and pursue the airline themselves

Cranzle

PS your travel insurance for travel delay is likely to deduct what you should get from the airline if you’ve got very decent insurancw they might pay you out and pursue the airline themselves

What if you choose to make your own travel arrangements, for example from a different city etc? Do they have to reimburse you for those alternative arrangements?

Lady London

Has to be reasonable @Cranzle. You have to be able to show you chose this due to lack of alternatives or that this alternative mitigated the cost etc. The further you get away from replacing like with like (eg hotel at or near the airport or town you got stuck at) the more you have to justify and the more challengeable by the airline it is.

ChrisC

Am I allowed to maim people for not having their passports ready for French immigration mere yards from where it was just checked by UK border force??

PeteM

Am I allowed to maim people for not having their passports ready for French immigration mere yards from where it was just checked by UK border force??

“We’ve just shown them, we won’t need them again for a while!” 🙂

meta

Has to be reasonable @Cranzle. You have to be able to show you chose this due to lack of alternatives or that this alternative mitigated the cost etc. The further you get away from replacing like with like (eg hotel at or near the airport or town you got stuck at) the more you have to justify and the more challengeable by the airline it is.

Yes, you have to show that you’ve tried to reach the airline and they refused to assist you or couldn’t be reached. In the current climate where BA does not pick up the phone for hour on end, it’s the only way. And yes best is to replace like for like even if it means staying an extra night somewhere as BA will pay the bill in the end for that too.

• This reply was modified 52 years, 6 months ago by .
    ChrisC

I agree you need to show you tried. Simply saying “but no one ever gets through” isn’t enough.

So phone them and let it ring until the call gets disconnected for example. Do that a couple of times at least.

Fill in a couple of web forms and send a couple of emails to a recognisable customer contact address as well.

Reney

Can someone point me to the thread where these BAPP rumors are in? I was under the impression that Rob is hinting holding off applying/ cancelling BAPP because of a possible Barclays announcement not because Amex is making changes. But difficult to follow when so many threads.

Also anyone knows how long I have to cancel a Barclaycard to qualify for a bonus, is it 3 or 6 months? Just planning ahead.

Jimmyjimmy

Looks like Italy is stopping the need for pre departure tests for non Eu from March 1st.
    Good news!!
    J

Rob
    HfP Staff

Morning, following on from an article a few weeks ago can anyone advise if the lounge offering at the Intercontinental Paris Le Grand has improved at all? At the time it was a shadow of its pre Covid self but wanted to ask in case anyone has been recently. Also, an AMB question; if I book a club level room to get lounge access and then my AMB status automatically upgrades me to the next room up but it doesn’t have lounge access, do you lose it? Thanks!

There is a long thread, always near the top, on the hotel on the IHG board at Flyertalk which I keep an eye on. Answer seems to be ‘not really’, to the extent that you can no longer skip a meal because the lounge has so much food (except breakfast, obviously).

soloflyer1977

Just purchased a Laithwaites case of wine. Let’s see if all/some/none of he following tracks:
    10% Airtime (plus £2 bonus)
    40x nectar points through Nectar connect
    20% Lloyds offer
    And a small bit of money from TCB.
    If they all tracks, it will be a decent offer!

Nepweno

PS your travel insurance for travel delay is likely to deduct what you should get from the airline if you’ve got very decent insurance they might pay you out and pursue the airline themselves

Thanks for the detailed response I will follow up with Virgin then in the first instance.

Charles Martel

Can someone point me to the thread where these BAPP rumors are in? I was under the impression that Rob is hinting holding off applying/ cancelling BAPP because of a possible Barclays announcement not because Amex is making changes. But difficult to follow when so many threads.

Also anyone knows how long I have to cancel a Barclaycard to qualify for a bonus, is it 3 or 6 months? Just planning ahead.

I don’t think there would be any logic in Rob suggesting not cancelling the BA Amex because Barclays are about to launch their own card (Barclays have their own card operation). My guess would be Amex are aware Barclays are about to launch competitor cards and are tweaking their offer in response, or they’ve had negative feedback regarding the last changes (and fee increase) and will be making changes to avoid further cancellations.

I’m going to give it another week then I’m cancelling my BAPP, judging by the leaks the Barclay offer will be better and I’m not paying fees on two BA Amex cards indefinitely.

Ducky

May be worth looking at your referral bonus offers, on my Bus Plat it has just been increased to 30k which is, I think, the highest I have seen it before.

Rich_A

Re: 261/2004 compensation.

The get out for airlines isn’t “circumstances beyond our control”, but “extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken”, a much higher bar.

ThriceForgiven

Having scoured Flyertalk quite a bit, I thought I might ask here as well: does anyone have any good Corporate/Promo codes for:
    a) Marriott Bonvoy hotels
    b) Car rentals (specifically US & Mexico)

Also, does anyone know how to change their Amex Plat benefits enrolment for Marriott Gold to a DIFFERENT Marriott account? I know people cancel their cards and it stays active in Marriott, but I’m wondering if I can change it to a diff account under my name as well.

Thanks oh great and wise council of UK-based frugal travelites!

janed9388

I mentioned yesterday that when BA IT was playing up I tried to book an Avios flight for next year half term skiing, Just as I was attempting payment the system crashed and I didn’t get a ‘booked’ e-mail, no Avois taken and the seats disappeared. The cash part of the transaction did show as pending on my credit card though but I thought that would disappear in a few days which it still might….

I gave it a couple of hours and the seats didn’t reappear so booked another route for the same date, not bothered where we ski but just want to get back out there again 🙂 I was a bit surprised this morning when I looked in MMB to find both flights showing in. Still no e-ticket, no Avios taken and payment on credit card still pending for the one that I thought had failed. all normal for the second one.

Any guesses what might happen next ? I’d rather have the first location simply because it’s a 1300 flight time rather than 0700 – but with no e-ticket can I assume it’s booked and cancel the other ? is there anywhere I can see e-ticket numbers apart from on the usual e-mail that you get.

NorthernLass

Presumably you have 6 digit booking references for these bookings? If so they should be definite bookings, though it does sound like BA’s IT is playing up big time just now. So have you not got an email for either booking?

janed9388

I can see the 6 digit references in MMB for both. The second booking is definitely properly booked, I have an e-mail with 125- numbers, I can go in and pay to select seats, Avios deducted and payment pending.

The first one that crashed, just shows up in MMB, no e-mail, no miles taken and I can’t go and select seats ‘seat selection only available at check in’ – which is the same message I got with a different flight that had to be manually ticketed. Payment still showing as pending so not sure which way that one will go. I guess they might manually ticket it and adjust the avios / payment or they might just cancel it.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Wednesday 23rd February’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.