Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Wednesday 25th January

Chat thread – Wednesday 25th January

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

polly

Greetings from Bali, beautiful 32 degrees.. even tho l know the thaw is due to set in over there! 4 days to get here, our choice tho. Lhr-dub, family visit, then depart dub to hkt on QR J. 300k avios, annoyingly. As we wanted to fly MH J via Kul, had another overnight near HKT airport. Aviation mad hotel owner of the Marina Aviator hotel. Parts of aircrafts suspended here and there. Original boxes for mortar shells stacked in mini lobby. V quirky.
    Currently at Bintang Bali beach resort. @Michael C no changes here. Great pool. Beach massages, same local ladies l have known for years. Not many customers sadly. Found some nice new eateries. Plus fresh snapper cooked on a local warning on beach bbq, over coconut shells as fuel. Nothing wasted here.
    But moving over to the Pavillions, Sanur, and Amarterra in Nusa Dua (2+3 nights, won in Luxury Travel Diary auctions past 2 years) so have to use them, or lose them….
    Bali quite busy despite minimal Chinese presence. All good, so far….

polly

Referral back on our Platinum today, only 12k tho.

strickers

Good morning polly from SS Laamu, lovely 30C here a much clearer than yesterday after the rain. Have a great holiday.

Michael C

Greetings from Bali, beautiful 32 degrees.. even tho l know the thaw is due to set in over there! 4 days to get here, our choice tho. Lhr-dub, family visit, then depart dub to hkt on QR J. 300k avios, annoyingly. As we wanted to fly MH J via Kul, had another overnight near HKT airport. Aviation mad hotel owner of the Marina Aviator hotel. Parts of aircrafts suspended here and there. Original boxes for mortar shells stacked in mini lobby. V quirky.
    Currently at Bintang Bali beach resort. @Michael C no changes here. Great pool. Beach massages, same local ladies l have known for years. Not many customers sadly. Found some nice new eateries. Plus fresh snapper cooked on a local warning on beach bbq, over coconut shells as fuel. Nothing wasted here.
    But moving over to the Pavillions, Sanur, and Amarterra in Nusa Dua (2+3 nights, won in Luxury Travel Diary auctions past 2 years) so have to use them, or lose them….
    Bali quite busy despite minimal Chinese presence. All good, so far….

All sounds fabulous, Polly – jot down the new yummers places!
    Another friend-of-friend just back said Kuta quieter for now, but Canggu/Seminyak etc. back to normal?

truthbetold

Awardwallet now not working on BA account??

yorkshireRich

Morning, quick data point.
    Both restaurants in Madrid on the overseas dining credit that I visited on Sunday showed up on my statement yesterday. This morning, it’s showing that I have already been credited. That’s quicker than the ones in the Uk I have used.

Super Secret Stuff

I have the joys of Manchester airport and BA today, whoopee! Haven’t been able to check in online since it opened, should I be worried is it just bad IT?

roger

Amex seems to have improved and now some offer redemption emails are coming through like dining credit and then followed by actual credit few days later.
    Hopefully email draught is over!

davefl

Awardwallet now not working on BA account??

AW told me yesterday that all my nectar points are expiring at the end of May – They don’t expire

It’s become almost useless these days.

Michael C

Hopefully email draught is over!

Brrr!!!

Bill
    Supergers49

Both restaurants in Madrid on the overseas dining credit that I visited on Sunday showed up on my statement yesterday. This morning, it’s showing that I have already been credited. That’s quicker than the ones in the Uk I have used.

We’re going to Madrid in March. Which restaurants did you visit, and would you return to them at full price?

chrism20

Airtime code – MIDWEEK

£1 back on £10 spend today. Posted at 9am on FB. Limited to 2000 users

Michael C

We’re going to Madrid in March. Which restaurants did you visit, and would you return to them at full price?

Completely depends on what you’re looking for, of course, but if it’s the full madrileño experience, I’d look at somewhere like Pelotari.

Michael C

Btw, just in case you coincide – 20 March is a bank holiday in Madrid.

BAedi

Emirates seem to be running a 10% off Skywards miles offer at the moment, only showed up on my account once I clicked through to buy points, not seen it advertised publicly.

Vit

Greetings from St. John’s, a beautiful sub-zero here. 🙂

Anyway, I was hoping for some advices for those that has done this before. We are looking to get our return leg from HKG-ABZ / EDI. Basically I can only get the HKG-LHR as the LHR-ABZ/EDI is not yet open. My actions are:

1. Book HKG-LHR online using full avios.
    2. Call in to BA CS to book the LHR-ABZ/EDI and ask for 50% refund in avios as I use the 2-4-1 amex voucher. I should not be charged the booking fees as well. Is this correct?
    3. I am looking to get flight from BKK-HKG. Looking currently at RJ, arriving at 1900hr on the same day for my HKG-LHR flight departing 2330hr. If all goes well, we will have 4.5hrs of self-transfer? but feel a bit too risky. Has anyone done this before? We do not mind spending a night in HKG, just looking for options and advices really.

Many thanks,
    Vit

yorkshireRich

Im far from a food expert but we went to Bibo Dani Garcia and thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend. The other one which I wouldn’t bother with was ultamarinos Quintin.

BJ

@Polly, how was it getting to Aviator hotel and from it to airport please? Following both recommendation and endorsements we are now looking at Ko Jum for next winter and will likely go to Phuket to get to HKG on if no flights from KBV don’t suit. Enjoy Bali!

@Vit
    , just book HKG-LHR when released and call the next day and they’ll tag on domestic. Never been a problem. O’d fly BKK-HKG on Emirates or Air Asia for cash and keep tgec33j avios for something else, flights not long enough to be worth it IMO. BTW, if you’re still interested in Alaska miles there is a sale on at the moment.

smblcklck

citizenM/Chicago thoughts required –

I have booked four nights for two of us in Chicago cM in March on a pretty reasonable rate – £570 fully flex with breakfast included.

In the BA hols sale, Swissotel, Fairmont, Sonesta etc are all coming back under £600 (room only) which is a decent saving on the direct rates for each.

A bit concerned we are risking cabin fever with four nights in the cM so should we forego the brekky and shift to a ‘proper’ hotel?!

gtellez

Im far from a food expert but we went to Bibo Dani Garcia and thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend. The other one which I wouldn’t bother with was ultamarinos Quintin.

I agree with BiBo, we really enjoyed it and it was reasonably priced (50-60 euros per person before the cashback). I can’t say the same for Amazónico (same group as Ultramarinos Quintin), although the food wasn’t bad, it was ridiculously overpriced (around 90 euros per person and we were still hungry after it). La máquina is quite good.

Go197

I think I saw mention recently of the first row seats on some airline being blocked from selection until close to departure.

Is that what happens with Qatar Airways? I’m seeing the whole first row blocked. Is there a chance they become selectable close to departure?

The comment I saw said something about not doing online check-in, in order to give chance of grabbing a front row seat. I usually check in at the earliest opportunity because I have an entirely uneducated assumption that it reduces my chance of being downgraded or bumped when flying on on award ticket. Can delaying create a possibility of a better seat choice?

Why do I care? For the 8th trip in a row, Qatar Airways have swapped me out of QSuite with 2 days to go.

As usual, the seat selection algorithm has decided not to give one of the centre pair where whatever stranger I end up next to can get up without disturbing me (amazing how often people ask to get out when I’m half way through my dinner, but that’s a different story.) They’ve also dumped me into the one row without a window.

All the centre pair seats are occupied or blocked. My partial escape from the full horror of being trapped with a stranger might be the first row if they become unblocked.

Mankhool

I do have a query regarding BA companion voucher with free BA AmEx card. I would be receiving one next month. I do have a question, Like virgin can I use it in two transactions?

Transaction 1: Buying two one way tickets on D-355 for economy for onward journey.(one passenger pays full avios)
    Transaction 2: Buying two one way return tickets from the same destination for return journey on the day they are released.

Has it got be done in a single transaction or just like virgin sits in the membership account for 1 or half voucher.

NorthernLass

There are few similarities with the Virgin voucher – basically you can use the BA 241 for 2 people one-way but you really need to read the plethora of articles and threads on this site so you can get the maximum reward from your redemption.
    The series on the BA companion voucher is a good place to start. Don’t forget that only the bits relating to the voucher from the free card will help you!

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Wednesday 25th January’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.