Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Wednesday 25th January

Chat thread – Wednesday 25th January

• BA Flyer IHG Stayer

citizenM/Chicago thoughts required –

I have booked four nights for two of us in Chicago cM in March on a pretty reasonable rate – £570 fully flex with breakfast included.

In the BA hols sale, Swissotel, Fairmont, Sonesta etc are all coming back under £600 (room only) which is a decent saving on the direct rates for each.

A bit concerned we are risking cabin fever with four nights in the cM so should we forego the brekky and shift to a ‘proper’ hotel?!

I’ve only stayed at the one at Schiphol and thought it was OK for a night but that’s it.

As to “proper” hotel check if there are any resort fees that aren’t quite hidden but also aren’t quite shouted out either. I was pricing my trip up as a BA Hol and those increased the cost by about £25 a night.

I’m actually looking at Chicago for May and found via Expedia a place called “Sentral” which is an apprthotel which looks good.

Mankhool

How much would you tip a bell boy ,valet driver in UAE in a 5* hotel or any other person assisting with luggage. I was forced to give tip 10-15% tip in USA. Even on take away from Indian restaurant in Houston ,I was asked for tip .In Delaware I declined to give tip in a friendly manner as I was short of change as they given me 5$ discount paying in cash for the whole bill than paying with card that left me with no change.

YC

Spurs fans – Any tricks to buying a one off premier league match ticket? Looking at the game vs man city. Alternatively, is there a way of checking availability without paying to sign up to be a member?

Guernsey Globetrotter

Awardwallet now not working on BA account??

Updated fine in my app on iOS this afternoon…

BJ

I think I saw mention recently of the first row seats on some airline being blocked from selection until close to departure.

Is that what happens with Qatar Airways? I’m seeing the whole first row blocked. Is there a chance they become selectable close to departure?

The comment I saw said something about not doing online check-in, in order to give chance of grabbing a front row seat. I usually check in at the earliest opportunity because I have an entirely uneducated assumption that it reduces my chance of being downgraded or bumped when flying on on award ticket. Can delaying create a possibility of a better seat choice?

Why do I care? For the 8th trip in a row, Qatar Airways have swapped me out of QSuite with 2 days to go.

As usual, the seat selection algorithm has decided not to give one of the centre pair where whatever stranger I end up next to can get up without disturbing me (amazing how often people ask to get out when I’m half way through my dinner, but that’s a different story.) They’ve also dumped me into the one row without a window.

All the centre pair seats are occupied or blocked. My partial escape from the full horror of being trapped with a stranger might be the first row if they become unblocked.

The reference would be to BA based on OLCI trick comment. However many airlines block front rows. You are best avoiding them anyway due to increased risk of being re-seated by everyone from cabin crew to ferrying/relief pilots to VIP to high ranking elites.

LondonFly

Spurs fans – Any tricks to buying a one off premier league match ticket? Looking at the game vs man city. Alternatively, is there a way of checking availability without paying to sign up to be a member?

I understand why you came to Head for points

davefl

citizenM/Chicago thoughts required –

I have booked four nights for two of us in Chicago cM in March on a pretty reasonable rate – £570 fully flex with breakfast included.

In the BA hols sale, Swissotel, Fairmont, Sonesta etc are all coming back under £600 (room only) which is a decent saving on the direct rates for each.

A bit concerned we are risking cabin fever with four nights in the cM so should we forego the brekky and shift to a ‘proper’ hotel?!

I’ve only stayed at the one at Schiphol and thought it was OK for a night but that’s it.

As to “proper” hotel check if there are any resort fees that aren’t quite hidden but also aren’t quite shouted out either. I was pricing my trip up as a BA Hol and those increased the cost by about £25 a night.

I’m actually looking at Chicago for May and found via Expedia a place called “Sentral” which is an apprthotel which looks good.

There are 2 Sentrals, one south of the loop and one on Michigan Ave. The south loop one has great reviews but it’s quite far south near the Field Museum, so be aware it’ll take 20-30 mins to get up to the area around Navy Pier. The Mich Ave one is quite a bit more expensive but better location

chrischris2202

Planning a weekend in Madrid in March.
    I would like to fly Iberia just to check out the Amex Lounge in LHR T3, have heard they sometimes have their new business class seats on that route. Anyone know which flights use it or how I can check that during the booking process?

dougzz99

I think non-members are so far down the list of opportunity to buy that you’ve got little to no chance. Conte and much of the squad are doing their absolute best to make tickets easier to get.

NICK N

I think non-members are so far down the list of opportunity to buy that you’ve got little to no chance. Conte and much of the squad are doing their absolute best to make tickets easier to get.

Re Conte and the players trying to make tickets easier to obtain, you stole my words!:)

BAedi

I would like to fly Iberia just to check out the Amex Lounge in LHR T3, have heard they sometimes have their new business class seats on that route. Anyone know which flights use it or how I can check that during the booking process?

When booking look for the aircraft type, if long-haul (A330 and A350) then it will be lie-flat business seat.
    If you specifically want the new seat then it’s only on some A350 but aircraft changes can always happen.

NorthernLass

@meta might tell me I’ve made a huge mistake here but I’ve just booked my first ever flight with TAP 😬. I have weekend in LIS this autumn and TAP is the only airline which flies direct to MAN on our return date. Am I going to regret this?!

NICK N

Hi all some help please. I have 2 X BA companion vouchers. The earlier one earnt, which needs to be used by September having been extended due to covid was earned using my BAPP card, however it doesnt show as a Premium voucher unlike the other one I have earnt. Amex have confirmed they issued a premium voucher but say that BA adminster such. Can anyone give me a route via phone number or e mail to sort this out

Kind regards Nick

NorthernLass

@NICK N, if your earlier voucher was earned before Sep 21 it won’t have the “premium” element, which means access to greater availability and a few other things. When exactly was it issued?

davefl

@meta might tell me I’ve made a huge mistake here but I’ve just booked my first ever flight with TAP 😬. I have weekend in LIS this autumn and TAP is the only airline which flies direct to MAN on our return date. Am I going to regret this?!

Flew J (very cheap cash fare) MAN via LIS to SFO and back in 2019. New planes, very pleasant. Nothing to complain about at all.

Stayed overnight at the hotel opposite the terminal entrance, again very pleasant, and got some stunning shots of the golden gate bridge on approach to SFO. Used the United Polaris lounge out of SFO on the return.

NorthernLass

@davefl, phew, thanks, I could only recall horror stories from @meta and @cat!

NICK N

Hi all some help please. I have 2 X BA companion vouchers. The earlier one earnt, which needs to be used by September having been extended due to covid was earned using my BAPP card, however it doesnt show as a Premium voucher unlike the other one I have earnt. Amex have confirmed they issued a premium voucher but say that BA adminster such. Can anyone give me a route via phone number or e mail to sort this out

Kind regards Nick

@NICK N, if your earlier voucher was earned before Sep 21 it won’t have the “premium” element, which means access to greater availability and a few other things. When exactly was it issued?

I think ? August 2021

NICK N

Kind regards Nick

I think ? August 2021

Correction March 2021 though Amex told me it was issued as a ‘Premium’ voucher

tw33ty

Making the most of the new Hyatt Amex offer tonight by staying in the Hyatt Manchester for a couple of nights.

Very nice hotel from what I’ve seen so far.

JDB

I wouldn’t have unduly high expectations for the T3 Centurion lounge. It’s fine, but definitely nothing to write home about – see comments from last week’s article re Centurion Lounges.

NorthernLass

@NICK N, it will say in your e-vouchers section when the voucher was issued. If you are correct, though, you have one old-style voucher and one new-style. There are numerous differences between them and if you’re fairly new to this site, you will find Rob’s articles on the BAPP vouchers very helpful. Be aware that the older extended vouchers also have specific limitations – these are detailed in one of Rob’s recent “stuffed” articles!

davefl

I have lower standards than most on here. I don’t care wwhat label is on the champagne bottle because I loathe the stuff.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer

There are 2 Sentrals, one south of the loop and one on Michigan Ave. The south loop one has great reviews but it’s quite far south near the Field Museum, so be aware it’ll take 20-30 mins to get up to the area around Navy Pier. The Mich Ave one is quite a bit more expensive but better location

I’m only seeing one located 808 S Michigan Avenue near Grant Park.

Where’s the other one?

NorthernLass

@davefl, I doubt very much there will be champagne, or indeed any kind of sparkling wine in TAP economy but the trade off is not having the navigate the purgatory that is LHR on a return journey!

BA Flyer IHG Stayer

Once on board they are fine.fine. It’s if anything goes wrong where things are bad …

Remember the article not that long ago that was written about some trip either Rob or rhys did to TAP where a few people thought an opportunity had been lost to ask the CEO about their appalling customer service Dealing with refunds and EU261 compo?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.