Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Wednesday 29th December

Chat thread – Wednesday 29th December

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

Chris

At Luton airport today. Still as grim as always.

sm

Good morning. Is the Morrison’s 10% Amex cashback still tracking /paying ok with Apple Pay at the tills or is it better to use chip and pin? Thanks.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by sm.
    Rhino40

Hello from the WA Palm Jumeirah. We arrived here on the 27th December after flying on Business Etihad redemption on Boxing Day. It was certainly advantageous that there was a 1st/Business pcr test station at Abu Dhabi Airport. It was my first time travelling in Business and it was certainly very enjoyable, great food and drink while watching live football. The no 1 lounge at Heathrow 3 was full, so we were asked to go to the Quantas lounge. I’m not sure we ended up there as instead we were admitted to the Galleries lounge. Not too busy, but its screens didn’t seem to carry the details of our flights. This led to us hanging around at departures for nearly an hour as the flight was late departing. The hotel is great, a bargain on points. Will be leaving on 1st Jan after experiencing nye here. We had fruit bowl, chocolates and note left for us. A paid upgrade was offered prior to check in of 37 Dirham for a deluxe room with partial sea view. They claimed I got this plus a skyline view in recognition of Gold. It’s a beautiful room with the Burj al Arab bang in the middle of the panorama.

Peter T

On way to NCL airport, on way to SEA First on Avios. First time I’ve travelled for EVER! So excited!

Richie

Will it be less grim when the DART opens?

meta

The no 1 lounge at Heathrow 3 was full, so we were asked to go to the Quantas lounge. I’m not sure we ended up there as instead we were admitted to the Galleries lounge. Not too busy, but its screens didn’t seem to carry the details of our flights. This led to us hanging around at departures for nearly an hour as the flight was late departing.

Pre-Christmas we went to the new American Express Centurion lounge for an hour which was excellent food-wise like on par with Cathay Pacific, certainly better than Qantas for me. Then we went to no.1 for 45 minutes which is probably the worst Heathrow lounge after Aspire T5. Etihad boarded F passengers very early so didn’t have to wait long…

johnny

Good morning. Is anybody aware of some functioning Blacklane codes?!

John

Will it be less grim when the DART opens?

No

Richie

Wizzair has acquired some flight slots from Norwegian at Gatwick for Summer 22, more choice for HfPers who prefer Gatwick.

Benilyn

Hello from the WA Palm Jumeirah. We arrived here on the 27th December after flying on Business Etihad redemption on Boxing Day. It was certainly advantageous that there was a 1st/Business pcr test station at Abu Dhabi Airport. It was my first time travelling in Business and it was certainly very enjoyable, great food and drink while watching live football. The no 1 lounge at Heathrow 3 was full, so we were asked to go to the Quantas lounge. I’m not sure we ended up there as instead we were admitted to the Galleries lounge. Not too busy, but its screens didn’t seem to carry the details of our flights. This led to us hanging around at departures for nearly an hour as the flight was late departing. The hotel is great, a bargain on points. Will be leaving on 1st Jan after experiencing nye here. We had fruit bowl, chocolates and note left for us. A paid upgrade was offered prior to check in of 37 Dirham for a deluxe room with partial sea view. They claimed I got this plus a skyline view in recognition of Gold. It’s a beautiful room with the Burj al Arab bang in the middle of the panorama.

Sounds great! Let us know how NYE is and how the fire works look. So did you get a free upgrade, then offered a paid one?
    Also how busy is breakfast?

blenz101

It will be the Hilton standard email upgrade offers which never really account for status.

WA isn’t an ideal spot for the fireworks due to its location but multiple displays should still be visible. Certainly wouldn’t want to brave the traffic!

RAK is planning some record breaking displays, have a Google.

Jamesp21

If our flight is delayed (BGI to LHR), do we have to still check in at the normal time? Only reason I’m asking is because this route seems plagued with delays lately and I’d much rather spend my time on the beach instead of in the airport should we also be delayed.

lev441

Hi from the Hilton Yas Island – Abu Dhabi! Anyone have any restaurant recommendations/recommendations of things to do?

Heath85

Hi everyone I have 2 free night certs with IHG and I have just noticed that I now seem to be able to use them for Mr and Mrs Smith hotels?
    Is this correct or is the website wrong?
    I only ask as the price for the hotel is 600 per night and it just seems like I would be robbing the place by using a free night cert? 🙂
    Thank you

Rhino40

I probably got a standard email regarding a paid upgrade, but 37aed per night isn’t much and I wasn’t expecting anything as gold at a busy time. When I checked in, I was told I’d got the paid standby upgrade (superior to deluxe) and they’d recognised my status by improving the view from partial sea-view to full sea-view. Under 8 quid a night, so can’t moan considering a very solid redemption. I wonder how many rooms will be redemptions? I was pleased to be offered 25% off food and drink, but have been caught out a couple of times availing myself of “offers”, when I’d have been better off with the discount

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Wednesday 29th December’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.