Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Wednesday 29th May

• Paul 146 posts

ok off the Berlin this weekend and looking for some ideas on things to do that are off the usual tourist route or hop on hop off bus tours. I will do most of the things to but if you have an insight to something unique of interesting please let me know. TIA

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,160 posts

@Paul Berlin is a cost effective place to use the Amex Plat dining credit

Michael C 705 posts

I’m applying for my son’s European health insurance card for a school trip, and am
    given the choice of “UK GHIC” or “New UK EHIC”. Is there any difference? I can only see
    that the former also covers a couple of random overseas territories!

Only a subset of people can get the latter, have you read https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-uk-global-health-insurance-card-ghic/ ?

Thanks (and to everyone else!) – i think it’s due to being a dual national.

Paul 146 posts

@Paul Berlin is a cost effective place to use the Amex Plat dining credit

Yes that’s booked.

jumpersforgoalposts 53 posts

Can anyone confirm that anything below the top status tier is usually meaningless once you’ve booked a Meliá hotel?

Pretty much this. We’ve stayed at quite a few Melia’s over the last few years, largely because of the 20% discount which stacks pretty well. Luckily I’ve not had any issues so can’t comment on service recovery etc. but no real mention of the status compared to Hilton.

We have had a few upgrades but that’s because we’ve booked a room with an infant, and when we’ve checked in, they have upgraded us so ‘we have more space with the baby’.

The value of the status is really in the 20% and I’m pretty happy with that

gerjomarty 12 posts

Only a subset of people can get the latter, have you read https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-uk-global-health-insurance-card-ghic/ ?

The UK Government covered the extra expense to make it an EHIC for EU citizens with rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, but wasn’t prepared to spend the money to cover its EU citizens with rights under the Good Friday Agreement, so we’re stuck with the GHIC. I’m not too worried, as there only seems to be a difference in a handful of countries.

There is a silver lining though – those applying for a GHIC who are lucky enough to have an address in Northern Ireland unlock a secret step in the application process that allows them to delete the garish Union flag.

yorkshireRich 225 posts

I know it’s alittle niche, but it took about 15 minutes Max from plane landing to collecting the luggage and leaving the terminal at Leeds Bradford yesterday. Think that’s almost a record.

In other news, going to go the challenge cup final at Wembley on June 8th with my mate. Not everywhere as twin rooms available but Hilton Wembley does at 60,000 points. Can’t decide ifs that worthwhile or we would be better off to stay somewhere more central and pay cash. We would be hardly be in the hotel.

Lastly, noticed there’s 25% Avis on certain Amex”s. Not sure how long that’s been on but is timely and useful for me. Hopefully for others too.

TJ 103 posts

MeliáRewards is simply not a serious loyalty scheme and the company as a whole gets worse each year (see FT

Agreed. I used to get some great redemption deals a few years back especially when utilising their Black Friday discount cards. But since devaluing their scheme I’ve struggled to find any compelling redemption opportunities.

AnotherUser 193 posts

Off-topic, but booking a stay at Center Parcs (other bits of the family are wanting to go there). The amount you pay for what you get is a shock! Think this site has got me used to using points, discounts etc – none of which can be used at Center Parcs 🙁 Three days in a lodge is costing way more than a 5 day break in a nice room in a nice Scandinavian hotel later on in the summer…

Colin MacKinnon 298 posts

And if you buy a Mini in Northern Ireland it comes without the Union Flag brake lights!

In Scotland, it is a £500-plus option, a pal told me, to get plain ones fitted!

Ladyshopper 124 posts

We went on a river cruise in April, and there were lots of Americans onboard. An older couple sat with us the first night at dinner (an then kind of adopted us from them on!), and were very keen to tell us they were NOT Trump supporters, which I thought was interesting.

cats_are_best 109 posts

Just had a message from Amex that yet another Centurion benefit is being cut, no more Emirates Gold status.

Seems it’s Emirates pulling it at short notice.

Tbh I rarely use EK, but it was handy to have Gold for the odd flight. Will be using them even less now!

davefl 1,413 posts

Morning,
    The museums in America are one of the best things about the country – you could fill a long trip just seeking out the most quirky ones.

Oh believe me, I do. Barbed wire mumseum, Jello Museum, Spam Museum, I’ve seen dozens of them. No country is like the USA in that respect. I’m visiting over 20 museums on this trip, most of them to see their amazing collections of glass and other art.

If the political and economic situation is favourable I may finally get around to planning my New England road trip for autumn 2025.

I wouldn’t let it put you off. He will get re-elected (I called it right last time as well), but it won’t affect the day to day experience for tourists.

davefl 1,413 posts

Had my 1st run in with a raging trumper yesterday who says the UK is being ruined because its borders are wide open and Joe is to blame for everything including the weather. Shame really a hes was a lovely guy and apart from that we’d been chatting for 43 mins about bikes as he owns the world’s biggest bicycle museum.

The ‘Trumper’ probably thought much the same about you.

I didn’t open my mouth at all to voice any kind of opinion, so just waited for a pause and then continued the bike conversation as if nothing had happened. Warm handshakes and best wishes all round 🙂

davefl 1,413 posts

@zapato1060 Yes tipping is still the same, even down to self service checkouts requesting them in some places. As for Chase, I have enough card options without taking out another card. The Wise and FD and Halifax etc suit me better globally.

Also wouldn’t have been any difference. There were no Chase branches in any of the towns where I needed cash. Lots of local banks and credit unions.

@Ant
    M Yes I would concur there’s probably an equal amount that are cashless. Food trucks a good example, a small town museum yesterday, you have to be ready for all options.

peterH 11 posts

@Paul I enjoyed the guided tour at the old Templehof airport and the small visitor centre there (I think enlarged since I went in ’21), which may be considered a little off the normal tourist trail.

Whatsthepoint 131 posts

It never ceases to amaze me how otherwise nice, friendly, intelligent Americans are totally ignorant of the high level of violent crime and gun deaths in the US compared the UK. They simply can’t accept that violent crime in the US is at least 4 times higher than UK and you’re 50 times more likely to be killed by a gun in the US than the UK. Unfortunately many of them exist in a Trump adulation echo chamber. There are, of course, many Anericans who do understand the difference.

AnotherUser 193 posts

I enjoyed getting around Berlin by bike – the infrastructure (and carefulness/tolerance of the drivers) made it feel much easier than UK cities. I think there’s now more than one city bike scheme to choose from, if you want to give it a go.

There will likely still be lots of places serving white asparagus in lots of different ways. Don’t know if that counts as the usual tourist route, but fun to try

NorthernLass 8,262 posts

2 quick questions please!

1. How does one upload photos to this site? Copy and paste not doing it for me 😂

2. IHG status – does it always last until the end of Feb or was that just this year? Just wondering whether to take a gamble on booking a 4-night stay in Rome with points next Feb when Diamond will technically have expired!

@Anotheruser
    – a friend of mine went with her extended family of 11 to Center Parks one Xmas. It cost them £8k just for the accommodation for 4 nights, and this was about 10 years ago! For that money they could have got a week on a nice beach somewhere sunny.

deadmauss 1 post

Hey, Amex MR question:
    I’ve been having an extra points earning bonus applied to my card for a month or so following a recent referral promotion. This has been great earning me 3 extra MR per spend.
    Strangely, today, a new offer popped up now stating 2 extra MR per spend following a referrall. The T&C wording seems very simmilar and I don’t see anything about stacking these, but I’d be very surprised if these could stack.
    Does anyone know this? Thanks 🙂

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,254 posts

ok off the Berlin this weekend and looking for some ideas on things to do that are off the usual tourist route or hop on hop off bus tours. I will do most of the things to but if you have an insight to something unique of interesting please let me know. TIA

I thought the Stasi Museum was very interesting so I recommend that.

I’d also get a pass for the S&U Bahn/ busses / trams as cheaper than paying individual fares.

https://www.bvg.de/en/subscriptions-and-tickets/all-tickets

Reeferman 40 posts

A couple of things we really enjoyed:
    1) The Berliner Unterwelten Museum
    2) Templelhof airport visit (particularly on a dry/sunny day as there was lots of stuff going on outside)

Sure others will have ideas for you too
    Enjoy!

Pangolin 119 posts

2. IHG status – does it always last until the end of Feb or was that just this year? Just wondering whether to take a gamble on booking a 4-night stay in Rome with points next Feb when Diamond will technically have expired!

IHG status (and Marriott) should last until the end of Feb (may even take a few more days to reset so could be early March).
    Hilton is more generous as it lasts right through till the end of March.

runnerbean 58 posts

@Paul, we did the uncool thing of a Segway tour and it was really good. I’d never used one and they really do go at quite a lick and are very manoeuvrable. But the real benefit is that we quickly got a sense of the places to go back to and overall orientation.

If you’re into art/ museums I have suggestions..

davefl 1,413 posts

@runnerbean ***Shocked*** Segways are very cool. I do them in most cities. Gets you oriented without resulting in aching legs and you get a great idea of where to go back to and good local knowledge from the guides too.

Try not to nearly die on one though as happened to me in Austin.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Wednesday 29th May’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.