Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Wednesday 29th May

• JDB 4,643 posts

The Nefertiti bust in the Neues Museum was also on my bucket list, but most people don’t get as excited as I do about ancient stuff.

If you like old things, Serbia should be on your to visit list! Visited Lepenski Vir today, one of the oldest organised settlements from around 6000 BC. Amazing artefacts in the little museum next to the site on the Danube – sculptures, tools, jewellery, pots, fishing hooks etc. in very good condition. Interesting Roman sites like the imperial palace of Felix Romuliana at Gamzigrad. Lots of wars, castles and amazing history. Not so many tourists outside Belgrade which is a fascinating city and a bargain country.

Ant M 85 posts

I know it’s alittle niche, but it took about 15 minutes Max from plane landing to collecting the luggage and leaving the terminal at Leeds Bradford yesterday. Think that’s almost a record.

In other news, going to go the challenge cup final at Wembley on June 8th with my mate. Not everywhere as twin rooms available but Hilton Wembley does at 60,000 points. Can’t decide ifs that worthwhile or we would be better off to stay somewhere more central and pay cash. We would be hardly be in the hotel.

Lastly, noticed there’s 25% Avis on certain Amex”s. Not sure how long that’s been on but is timely and useful for me. Hopefully for others too.

Staying at the Hilton the night of the cup final will mean you avoid the scrum that occurs as thousands of fans head for the trains and underground, so I’d consider it a good idea – as most people are impatiently queueing for transport, you can be enjoying a relaxing drink at the hotel bar.

davestat 29 posts

Thx for heads up – that looks like a very sick aircraft based on its journeys this month or a seriously large number of people have been delayed on this aircraft. Its previous trip of the day was almost 10 hrs late !! And it hadn’t even left LGW to go to MAH and back when it was due to go to FAO. Cancelling at 19 minutes notice is cr*p service from BA

CJD 75 posts

I dunno how off the beaten track this is, but last time I was in Berlin I went to Berlin Story, which is a museum housed in a massive concrete bunker which was constructed as an air raid shelter near the old Anhalter Banhof. It had a replica of the Führerbunker as part of it’s exhibition.

CJD 75 posts

Bernauer Straße also has a lot of really interesting Wall remnants and museums. There’s a patch of street near the old Nordbanhof which has basically been left divided as it would have been while the Wall was up.

tw33ty 206 posts

Colin – hope you didn’t buy from reg Vardy, I got mine from there, after sales I’d terrible

tw33ty 206 posts

Should have said reg Vardy seafield

AnotherUser 193 posts

@northernlass yeah – three nights is costing me more than a week in Spain did 🙁

yorkshireRich 225 posts

AnT M – rates rates gone down from
    £460 to £260. This is non refundable but may go for it nevertheless

davefl 1,413 posts

Who says you don’t get upgrades at Hamptons (as gold).

Booked a King, ended up in a King suite, with kitchenette and the bathroom is as big as my lounge at home.

davefl 1,413 posts

Lastly, noticed there’s 25% Avis on certain Amex”s. Not sure how long that’s been on but is timely and useful for me. Hopefully for others too.

UK only rentals in case you weren’t aware. Shame!

Not just UK rentals even though it says so.

Just checked now and it was a prepaid one way booking on carehireBA for the USA. Amex email 4 days after the booking saying I’d used the offer and bonus Avios visible 3 days after that.

YMMV of course, I’ve got both spend £300 get £50 back on one card and 5000 bonus Avios on the other at the moment

NorthernLass 8,262 posts

The Nefertiti bust in the Neues Museum was also on my bucket list, but most people don’t get as excited as I do about ancient stuff.

If you like old things, Serbia should be on your to visit list! Visited Lepenski Vir today, one of the oldest organised settlements from around 6000 BC. Amazing artefacts in the little museum next to the site on the Danube – sculptures, tools, jewellery, pots, fishing hooks etc. in very good condition. Interesting Roman sites like the imperial palace of Felix Romuliana at Gamzigrad. Lots of wars, castles and amazing history. Not so many tourists outside Belgrade which is a fascinating city and a bargain country.

Sounds wonderful and exactly the kind of place I’d enjoy wandering around.

Michael C 705 posts

I’m thinking of a trip to Lombok and the Gili Islands in late December and early January, is it worth the extra travelling or better to just stick with Bali? Any thoughts appreciated. TIA.

Gorgeous, and consider KUL as the gateway airport.
    Sounds silly to say, but do remember the islands are VERY small, so
    you’d have to want that type of trip for a few days.
    Lombok Oberoi is lovely.

HampshireHog 137 posts

Lombok and the Gilis infinitely better than Bali which had been trashed through over tourism. I’m not sure climate wise December or January is great though

HampshireHog 137 posts

Quote function still not working Rob

JDB 4,643 posts

Quote function still not working Rob

Isn’t it?

louie 138 posts

YMMV of course, I’ve got both spend £300 get £50 back on one card and 5000 bonus Avios on the other at the moment

There’s a third offer, 25% back up to £50. Handy as I have a rental for a little over £200 next month….

Travel Strong 294 posts

Who says you don’t get upgrades at Hamptons (as gold).

Booked a King, ended up in a King suite, with kitchenette and the bathroom is as big as my lounge at home.

Ah a Hampton Inn & Suites in the USA is a very different thing from a Hampton Inn in EMEA!

Even without an upgrade, the base room at a USA Hampton Inn & Suites can be a very spacious place indeed.
    It’s quite a consistent brand standard in the USA too. You know exactly what you will get at a HI&S or Homewood Suite – which isn’t the case so much over here.

davefl 1,413 posts

@Travel Strong I know I’ve stayed at a hundred or more, same with HIX Express and Suites.

It was a dig at the regular “there’s no upgrades for gold and no upgrades at hampton” comments

CJD 75 posts

@JDB doesn’t work for me.

elguiri 224 posts

Make sure to try the Currywurst in Berlin. I think ‘Travel Man’ tried it at the oldest Currywurst ‘stand’.

Going into the dome of the Rheichstag building is something I enjoyed too.

Froggee 986 posts

@JDB
    doesn’t work for me either.

That is because @JDB works for no man but himself.

ChrisBCN 293 posts

CJD wrote:

@JDB
    doesn’t work for me either.

That is because @JDB works for no man but himself

I think @JDB is a holiday rep judging by the amount of places he reports from – I think of him as an international blue coat.

And quoting doesn’t work correctly for me either.

runnerbean 58 posts

Berlin – Helmut Newton gallery was excellent. Huge prints beautiful as well as provocative.

Neil 17 posts

I’m thinking of a trip to Lombok and the Gili Islands in late December and early January, is it worth the extra travelling or better to just stick with Bali? Any thoughts appreciated. TIA.

Not been but take a look at the last episode of race around the world on bbc – its where the race finished.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Wednesday 29th May’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.