Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Wednesday 5th January

Chat thread – Wednesday 5th January

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

Shaw West

Flying JFK-LHR-MAD. Do you I need to clear passport control at Heathrow? Flying Virgin UC JFK-LHR and BA LHR-MAD

John

Flying JFK-LHR-MAD. Do you I need to clear passport control at Heathrow? Flying Virgin UC JFK-LHR and BA LHR-MAD

Only if they are separate tickets and you need to retrieve checked bags. But you will have to go through security again no matter what

Andrew J

Depends if your luggage is checked through – if it’s 2 separate bookings then yes you’ll need to arrive in the U.K. at the border and collect your luggage and check in for your flight to MAD. Otherwise you can follow flight connections and you’ll take an airside bus to T5.

hugo r

Hi I’ve your purchasing a high value item in Las Vegas ie a Rolex of expensive bag , can you get a refund of the taxes at the airport or do the deducte the tax instore when showing passport

nwoody2001

Help please…

I was booked on the 15:15 BA flight from LHR-MAN. I was told the flight was cancelled and was bumped onto the 18:25 flight. However, it seems the original 15:15 flight is operating and is now fully booked! Is there anything I can do by way of compensation?! It’s a cash Club Europe Ticket.

It may not appear like too much of a Hassan other than the fact I arrived on the 07:15 arrival from JFK (Virgin) so now have to wait 11 hours for my flight. It’s on a separate ticket I appreciate but to say it’s frustrating is an understatement!

ChrisC

When were you told it was cancelled?

If it was cancelled sometime ago and you accepted a rebooking to the later flight then no compensation is due even if the original flight was reinstated because the rebooked flight is now your scheduled flight.

The fact you arrived at LHR earlier in the day is of no relevance as it was a separate ticket.

meta

When did BA inform you of cancellation? If less than 14 days, you’re due EU/UK261 delay compensation of 250 euros in GBP plus duty of care (meal, refreshments and two phone calls).

ChrisC

Hi I’ve your purchasing a high value item in Las Vegas ie a Rolex of expensive bag , can you get a refund of the taxes at the airport or do the deducte the tax instore when showing passport

Only if Nevada has a tax rebate scheme for tourists (which I don’t think it does)

NorthernLass

BA have done this to us a couple of times, even on through tickets, it’s one of the things that makes transiting LHR so frustrating. Make sure you get best use of the lounge, have a long shower!

bungalow

Hi all, first post new forum.
    Am heading to UAE for 3 weeks at the end of the month, and am looking at maybe spending 4 or 5 nights (points or cash) at one of the Hilton Habtoor City hotels in Dubai – Habtoor Palace, Hilton, or V Curio.
    Will probably look to take in the La Perle show while I’m there which I believe is free with a 4+ night stay?
    Anyway, have read numerous reviews on all of the hotels, but just wondered had anyone any thoughts on a preference, or indeed feedback on the area, La Perle show, or should I give the area a miss entirely?
    Am Hilton Diamond and am using the opportunity to help towards retaining it, would probably book an entry level room and see what it gets me.
    Just to add, already booked for Marina/JBR, Conrad, and Dubai Creek, this is for the bit in the middle.
    Thanks in advance.

• This reply was modified 52 years, 1 month ago by .
    SteveJ

@bungalow can’t help with recommendations, but reminder if you’re booking a points stay you can get 5 for the price of 4 with your Hilton Status.

bungalow

@bungalow can’t help with recommendations, but reminder if you’re booking a points stay you can get 5 for the price of 4 with your Hilton Status.

Yeah I know SteveJ, but getting hammered at Conrad for points, have enough points for this stay also but it would almost wipe me out, hence considering the cash option (4 nights), or points (5), depending on feedback and maybe 5 nights is too long in the area.

WaynedP

Am poised to book return-to-UK and Day 2 PCR tests (best part of £150 for two) for four weeks’ time, so am watching developments prompted by Tim Hawkins’s comments on BBC Today this morning with interest.

Tracey

Am poised to book return-to-UK and Day 2 PCR tests (best part of £150 for two) for four weeks’ time, so am watching developments prompted by Tim Hawkins’s comments on BBC Today this morning with interest.

Yesterday Talk was of the pre-flight LFT/ antigen going but not the day 2 PCR. So saving probably £20 of a £60 combined purchase.

TommyL

Has anyone got any tips on how to get hold of BA to book Reward Flights with a Future Travel Voucher? I’ve been calling since last week and every time get cut off after an hour of waiting, I called them this morning right on 8am and same thing happened, I’ve contacted them on chat but they couldn’t help, I’ve tweeted and direct messaged but they’ve ignored- I’m really pulling my hair out with them so any helpful tips would be appreciated.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Wednesday 5th January’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.