Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Wednesday 6th July

Chat thread – Wednesday 6th July

Topic closed
  • lookofdisdain

Heading to the US for a work trip at the end of the month. I’ll be booking my own travel & accommodation then being reimbursed afterwards. Am I right in thinking as a BA PP cardholder I can either eat the 3% FX fee to earn some avios or just use my monzo and lose out?

Can you expense the FX fee? The alternative is one of the Barclays Avios cards + Curve; but this may get your card cancelled.

Potentially. Why would Barclays cancel the card?

Doodledoo

Also have one ticket available for this evening if anyone interested?

SteveJ

Heading to the US for a work trip at the end of the month. I’ll be booking my own travel & accommodation then being reimbursed afterwards. Am I right in thinking as a BA PP cardholder I can either eat the 3% FX fee to earn some avios or just use my monzo and lose out?

Can you expense the FX fee? The alternative is one of the Barclays Avios cards + Curve; but this may get your card cancelled.

Potentially. Why would Barclays cancel the card?

Because no one likes Curve anymore it seems

Reney

Even if you can’t expense the FX fee and just the actual spend, the number of points earned might be worth the fee, depending on how much you spend and how much you value the points. Especially if you are looking to meet bonus/ voucher quicker.

Ggos1

Also have one ticket available for this evening if anyone interested?

I’ll have one, if it’s still going?

SteveJ

I’d expect my employer to reimburse me in GBP. Just upload your USD receipts and a redacted copy of your credit card bill and put your expense claim in for the GBP amount that hit your card.

That’s how so many business travellers are swimming in points!

Doodledoo

@Ggos1 Great! Can you email me? clairem77 at yahoo dot com

Freebs

Late notice I know but I have a ticket for the HfP party for this evening if anyone is still looking for one.

pablo

Free Dufry platinum from Aegean Airlines for one year. Activate by 30 Sept. New and existing Dufry accounts. Benefits: 10% off at world duty free and dragonpass pay as you go membership for 12 months with lounge passes for 27 USD
    Aegean Dufry Platinum

gw57

Question. Am flying BA club on a A380-800, any views on preferred location and upper deck vs lower deck .

SamG

Question. Am flying BA club on a A380-800, any views on preferred location and upper deck vs lower deck .

I’ve always sat upstairs but I wouldn’t say there is any major reason why I do that- if solo then IMO 53A/K or 59A/K are the best seats. One slight advantage is the toilets upstairs at the front are huge

MarkSX

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/transport/british-airways-scraps-800-flights-as-uk-eases-slot-rules

If I’m looking to fly to Crete early August, should I be booking my flights now or wait it out?

Colin MacKinnon

Book now and then claim re-route later?

If you wait until cancelled, then – presumably- the other options will get more expensive.

mkcol

Data point: pretty crud vegan special meal ex YVR the other week.
    The hot bit for main meal was 2 slices each of plain griddled aubergine & yellow squash & courgette with a MASSIVE pile of plain rice.
    Breakfast was THE SAME 6 slices of veg in a ciabatta. Plus margarine (they normally include buttermilk but no ingredients listed to verify) and a Kellog’s Nutri-grain bar which listed milk a few times in the ingredients.

This contrasted starkly to the really good offering on the outbound from LHR, so I know it’s possible to cater it well.

Complaint to BA answered within a week with 10,000 Avios compo each, which we felt was fair.

Amy C

Didn’t win a thing on the raffle tonight.
    Want a refund!

[sob]

Colin MacKinnon

I didn’t win anything either – including a ticket 🙂

elguiri

Got a ticket for the HfP party to sell. Guaranteed not a winning raffle ticket associated with it.

But on a serious note, good to see so many faces here.

yorkieflyer

The hot bit for main meal was 2 slices each of plain griddled aubergine & yellow squash & courgette with a MASSIVE pile of plain rice.
    Breakfast was THE SAME 6 slices of veg in a ciabatta. Plus margarine (they normally include buttermilk but no ingredients listed to verify) and a Kellog’s Nutri-grain bar which listed milk a few times in the ingredients.

This contrasted starkly to the really good offering on the outbound from LHR, so I know it’s possible to cater it well.

Complaint to BA answered within a week with 10,000 Avios compo each, which we felt was fair.

So given the poor standard of regular food then worth the rest of us requesting Vegan and welcoming the compo after swinging by Plane Food

mkcol

So given the poor standard of regular food then worth the rest of us requesting Vegan and welcoming the compo after swinging by Plane Food

Can only guarantee it’ll work for the inbound from YVR.
    Outbound from LHR was very good.

WaynedP

One thing I found flying upper deck overnight from LHR to JNB in Feb was that the cabin heating was set too high for me to sleep. Small and stuffy without individual overhead vents made for an uncomfortable night. Returning a couple of weeks later on larger lower deck with better airflow was much better for me, although of course we did depart from balmy Jo’burg.

Although toilets at the front of upper deck are most spacious I’ve ever seen on any plane. Lower deck toilets are the usual more claustrophobic variety.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Wednesday 6th July’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.