Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Check in hand luggage always available?

• Niall 113 posts

I favor travelling with hand baggage only almost always. On my next trip though I have some liquids over 100ml I would like to bring but not a lot else! I’m wondering if BA will always allow check in of hand baggage so it goes in the hold OR if it’s only those times that they email you asking for that? I am BA Gold and will be travelling from Gatwick to Tenerife is this changes anything.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,047 posts

You cannot guarantee them offering this service.

So you’d need a back up plan.

I assume your usually on HBO fares so in that case buy the baggage allowance once you know for certain you’ll be taking the liquids.

Niall 113 posts

Thanks. I may start asking if I can check in even when not offered just to get a sense on if I can rely on it. I usually book non HBO when there is a chance I’ll want a same day change, and not so much for the baggage. The problem adding bags is that it costs a lot more to add late. While it’s 20 quid to add at the time of booking it is 70 to add now on a flight to Tenerife (£80 at the airport).

John 1,000 posts

Generally no unless you are at the gate already, but that doesn’t help if you need to bring the liquids through security

harley 109 posts

Sometimes the checkin staff use discretion. Although there was once where it was denied and then the plane was so busy they forced people to checkin in the hold anyway! They should work out a procedure on busy flights but unfortunately you will have to just gamble or pay

Anna 458 posts

Are the liquids anything you can buy after security? That’s usually how I get round the problem on HBO. You do pay a bit more for toiletries but it’s worth it for not having the hassle of checking in luggage.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.