Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• ZoeB 88 posts

I thought I remembered that BA fly a long haul plane daily to Madrid. I have tried searching and would really appreciate it if someone knows which flight. Thanks in advance.

elguiri 216 posts

They did (we flew it), but that was pre-covid. Not sure of state now.

ChrisC 956 posts

IIRC BA only did it when using the route as training flights when a new plane was put into service.

IB do use an A330 on one flight with flat beds a day though. Off the top of my head it’s the 3.00 (ish)PM ex MAD departure and the 7.00( ish) PM ex LHR

meta 1,426 posts

Iberia is 6:45pm out of Heathrow and 3:45pm out of Madrid.

SamG 1,639 posts

BA did also fly a flight for cargo in the morning but their schedule is heavily reduced at the moment, usually just 2x A3xx with Iberia handling the bulk of the flights including 1, sometimes 2 A330/A350. Have to be careful as some are operating on a Level A330 so won’t have a flat bed if that is what you are after!

Mikeact 229 posts

Rob will be along soon.

yonasl 952 posts

As far as I am aware, no Club World to MAD on BA but you can use IB.

When you book, search for the A330 or A350 for the lie flat seats. Schedules changes a bit depending on the day (weekdays, Saturday and Sunday are different). From what I have seen/flown in the past they have LHR-MAD at around 10am and 6pm and a MAD-LHR at 3pm.

Question to the group, last time I took the A330 at 10:50am I was given the option to upgrade from Economy to Business the day before as I was doing my check in. I rarely see this so I wanted to know if this is common for these flights? (the upgrade was “only” £40 which was good value even if when you book with time the Economy flight can cost £110 and the Business one £135!)

APPL 23 posts

I think these cheap upgrades might be quite common. Was flying LHR-MAD couple of weeks ago. Ticket issued by BA, but flights on IB A350. Upgrade was EUR 55, which I took.Had a look at FT, and it seems in the past people have been offered these at around EUR 50 too.
    Edit: Just to add, this was only offered at online check in, and wasn’t available until day before the flight.

tiriavpo 312 posts

IIRC BA only did it when using the route as training flights when a new plane was put into service.

Not only training flights, BA had a regular BA777 to Madrid and back, latish in the day, which we did a couple of times. Can’t see it anywhere in the schedules at the moment.

IB do it as well, but of course that is the other way round ie MAD-LHR-MAD. Some days it is a 330, which seems to be an early rotation, some days a 350 later in the day, some days they have both – and some days neither.

yonasl 952 posts

I think these cheap upgrades might be quite common. Was flying LHR-MAD couple of weeks ago. Ticket issued by BA, but flights on IB A350. Upgrade was EUR 55, which I took.Had a look at FT, and it seems in the past people have been offered these at around EUR 50 too.
    Edit: Just to add, this was only offered at online check in, and wasn’t available until day before the flight.

Thanks for the info. In typical IB fashion, I had paid £18pp to book a premium economy seat (just as a bit of luxury before landing in MAD and driving 4hrs to my destination). As I did the checking I was offered to upgrade to J for £39pp which I did … but they never refunded the £18pp 🤦. I had to chase them for months and eventually ask Amex to cancel the payment.

Andrew J 769 posts

It’s a Club Europe product to Madrid, occasionally on an aircraft with the same seat which is used for the Club World product.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.