Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Covid travel Covid travel insurance recommendations

Covid travel insurance recommendations

• Boi

Please can anyone suggest any travel insurance that covers covid?

This is for my sister travelling to USA and Bahamas (Bahamas do have state run insurance which she will get). o platinm or any of the other premier cards.
    Thanks

AndyGWP

Barclays seems decent. I think Nationwide have improved their offering again too, but it still covers less than the Barclays Travel pack (need Premier account)

o.v

Can also recommend Barclays Travel Pack. Don’t seem to need a Premier account though. I opened their standard current account last week just to access it.

JD

I went by the which.co.uk / consumers association recommendations – the Barclays travel pack was their top scorer for Covid cover. There were a (Small) number of other providers that were also rated as giving ‘complete’ Covid cover. If you’re not a member and can’t access the list, reply here and I will attempt to paste in the top rated policy table…

artdeco

I have Allianz, it was the most comprehensive I could find. Not had to claim though. It includes self iso for direct contacts.

Boi

JD please do paste for me. Thanks

Boi

she has barclays regular account, I will see if she can get the travel pack..

AndyGWP

Can also recommend Barclays Travel Pack. Don’t seem to need a Premier account though. I opened their standard current account last week just to access it.

ah apologies – don’t know why I thought that! lol

KP

How does Amex Plat Insurance compare to the Barclays travel pack mentioned here? Thanks

Jon

One challenge I have with many of these policies is that they require your travel to start and end in the UK. Does anyone know of any policies that don’t? Or alternatively which don’t have a 30/60/90 day trip length limit?

I appreciate this may be a niche issue that won’t apply to most here!

The problem I have is that although I still have a UK residence, I’m now based in Asia and most of my travel either starts and ends here, or is arranged as separate one-way trips. But the travel policies available locally all seem to have ridiculously low cover limits – not even enough to reimburse a long-haul business class flight. Surely someone somewhere does a worldwide travel policy of the sort of cover levels in the examples above, but which allows for “start anywhere, end anywhere”… Any pointers? Thanks.

redlilly

Is HSBC Premier (free with account and provided by Allianz) not better/more covid comprehensive than Barclays Travel Pack? On reviewing I thought so, however with a lack of HSBC mentions on here I am wondering if I got this wrong.

Princess

Does anyone have experience with the Post Office travel insurance? seem quite comprehensive…

BuildBackBetter

One challenge I have with many of these policies is that they require your travel to start and end in the UK. Does anyone know of any policies that don’t? Or alternatively which don’t have a 30/60/90 day trip length limit?

The problem I have is that although I still have a UK residence, I’m now based in Asia and most of my travel either starts and ends here, or is arranged as separate one-way trips. But the travel policies available locally all seem to have ridiculously low cover limits – not even enough to reimburse a long-haul business class flight. Surely someone somewhere does a worldwide travel policy of the sort of cover levels in the examples above, but which allows for “start anywhere, end anywhere”… Any pointers? Thanks.

Insurance products are regulated locally. You have to buy one where you are resident.
    You can speak to insurance advisors or travel agents to customise policies. But that’s going to cost a lot as the company takes additional risk to cover your specific requirements.

• This reply was modified 52 years, 11 months ago by .
    cats_are_best

With covid, there’re the ‘normal’ risks of getting ill, cancellations etc., which seem reasonably well covered.

IMHO the real insurance risk, far more likely than needing medical treatment, is simply testing positive while away.

At minimum that results in denied boarding to return to UK and needing to extend stay, possibly also enforced quarantine at hotel/whatever until negative and/or local rules say you can leave, which could easily run on for a few weeks.

I’ve just asked AXA, who provide my Amex insurance, to explain what they actually provide, because their covid ‘advice’ document and their policy document just do not match. There’s nothing I can see in the policy that gives me any cover at all.

I’ve also looked at three different policies for close friends who asked me to check for them, and found they have little or no useful cover for this situation, one is limited to 500 GBP.

Are there any ‘good’ insurers in this respect?

Amy C

How does Amex Plat Insurance compare to the Barclays travel pack mentioned here? Thanks

Exactly what I was wondering. I have both a platinum and a Barclays premier account.

Lady London

I have a vague idea MAPFRE or Blue Cross used to offer something. What you’re looking for is the worldwide cover that’s provided by international oilco’s for their employees at the sharp end worldwide in all sorts of challenging territories. I think one of them was called International Rescue (though I might be getting mixed up with Thunderbirds 🙂 ). Dealing with them was on a different level they would get you to treatment out of just about anywhere. The oilco’s don’t mess around but I am unsure how accessible these packages are on an individual basis.

JD

This is the link to the which list:

https://www.which.co.uk/money/insurance/travel-insurance/best-and-worst-travel-insurance-akxsn9g15kgb

The top two in their list are HSBC Select and Cover and the Barclays travel pack. The only others that are rated as having “complete” covid cover are Direct Line, Churchill, and Nationwide Flex Plus.

What’s covered and what isn’t always seems to be a minefield with insurance, but I’ve found the which advice the easiest to follow in terms of the ‘big ticket’ elements of the policies.

cats_are_best

I heard back from Axa on my Amex insurance cover for being stuck overseas due to a positive test or contact triggering local isolation or denied boarding (if the UK rule were in place at the time).

They said the policy section that they are using is the one I pasted in below, unlikely to cover costs in a lot of places, but better than nothing…

As long as you have not travelled against the FCDO travel advice then you will be covered for quarantine costs under extended stay under the medical section of your policy – this is the section we are applying regarding Covid coverage:

9) Extend Your stay following medical treatment: Up to £150 a night (maximum 10 nights) towards meals and accommodation costs for You and one other person if Our Senior Medical Officer advises You to
    extend Your stay after Your treatment.

Plus return travel home in line with the original[…]

If you are confined to your hotel under doctor’s orders for at least 48 hours, the insurer will pay for the room, up to the policy limit. If you paid in advance for excursions or activities that you cannot do because of your quarantine, they will compensate for that, up to the policy limit. The insurer will not settle costs where the hotel or excursion provider have a policy in place to provide a refund or credit for future use.

Benilyn

HSBC: https://www.hsbc.co.uk/help/coronavirus/travel-guidance/whats-covered-under-hsbc-travel-insurance/#quarantine

If I’m unexpectedly quarantined at an airport and can’t continue my trip because of a medical assessment, temperature check or test result, am I covered?
    Yes. If you unexpectedly need to quarantine, we’ll cover any extra travel and accommodation costs to make sure everyone who’s insured under the policy gets home safely, as long as a return trip was booked. We’ll also pay costs for any accommodation you haven’t been able to use.

It’s important to check the entry requirements for your destination before you book. You won’t be covered if you don’t meet these.

— I read this as, if you catch COVID whilst on holiday, they’ll cover flights + hotel whilst you quarantine (as long as return flight as booked). Anyone see any issues with HSBC cover?

cats_are_best

You still need to check the cover limit, I heard back from AXA on my Amex cover, it is 150 GBP/day up to ten days for accom/food.

I’ve seen a friend’s policy that had a limit of 500 GBP for ‘bed and breakfast’.

JenT

We recently did a lot of shopping around as we were planning on booking a cruise with Virgin Voyages out of Miami which (at the time of booking) was going to be non-refundable if something went wrong for us with positive tests etc. Along with that, I also wanted cover in case a country I visited went ‘red’ and we would have to quarantine on return. With thar plus most of the ‘normal’ COVID fears (being told to isolate, getting ill, etc) we found Amex Platinum insurance to be not enough, so went for the Barclays Travel Pack on top. We also have an annual policy from Staysure which still has a few months on it.

All of the documents are linked via the Amex website if you have the Platinum card and I would recommend reading them.

The Which? info is also very good and their shortlist is where we started. We had an issue with the HSBC coverage as you are immediately not covered if you are seen at a hospital for any treatment in the last 2 years, which we cannot comply with – no opportunity to get it as a pre-existing/declared/accepted condition with HSBC, but Barclays were happy to add it for no extra charge.

Ladyshopper

We recently did a lot of shopping around as we were planning on booking a cruise with Virgin Voyages out of Miami which (at the time of booking) was going to be non-refundable if something went wrong for us with positive tests etc. Along with that, I also wanted cover in case a country I visited went ‘red’ and we would have to quarantine on return. With thar plus most of the ‘normal’ COVID fears (being told to isolate, getting ill, etc) we found Amex Platinum insurance to be not enough, so went for the Barclays Travel Pack on top. We also have an annual policy from Staysure which still has a few months on it.

All of the documents are linked via the Amex website if you have the Platinum card and I would recommend reading them.

The Which? info is also very good and their shortlist is where we started. We had an issue with the HSBC coverage as you are immediately not covered if you are seen at a hospital for any treatment in the last 2 years, which we cannot comply with – no opportunity to get it as a pre-existing/declared/accepted condition with HSBC, but Barclays were happy to add it for no extra charge.

That’s interesting, as I’ve been thinking about moving our account to HSBC to get the travel insurance. Can you really not add any pre-existing conditions, even for a fee?

JDB

That’s interesting, as I’ve been thinking about moving our account to HSBC to get the travel insurance. Can you really not add any pre-existing conditions, even for a fee?

I don’t think you can pay extra to cover certain conditions, but their list of pre-existing conditions covered is much more generous than Amex Plat. They have a number to call to try and include pre-existing conditions that aren’t on the list butt I don’t know how flexible they might be.

SamG

Nationwide allows you to log in and buy an extension up to 184 days – for a joint account excl. USA this is £316.80. I’d read the rest of the documentation carefully to see how many days you can be outside of the UK etc. Otherwise a gap year/backpacker or global medical policy will be options

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.