Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Craving warmth – Lisbon in Feb/March or elsewhere?

• Iona 57 posts

It’s got to that time of the winter where I’m desperate to be somewhere mild (15 degrees plus), sunny and dry for a few days. We’re (two adults) looking at 3-7 nights (4 or 5 is probably the sweet spot) between 20 February and 14 March and could be talked into either a city or beach break.

Our own research suggests that Lisbon could be a good option so a few questions:
    – Have you been to Lisbon at that time of year? Will it meet our requirements?
    – Any recommendations of where to stay? Not looking to use any points and only have the statuses that come with Amex Platinum so not tied to any chains. Cost will vary depending on the number of nights but preferably no more than £300 a night (and cheaper would of course be better).
    – Is there somewhere else we should be considering instead?

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

I don’t know how reliable Lisbon is but the Malaga area is generally very pleasant at that time of year (24C last Feb half term). Malaga is actually a great city to visit and combine with a beach break, or venture further out to gems like Granada or Cordoba. Hotel prices tend to be very reasonable as well unless you want to pose in Marbella or Puerto Banus!

Also – if you want to use avios, GIB usually has good availability and similar climate, though pricier than Spain. You could fly to GIB then get a taxi to a Spanish resort though.

Hbommie 191 posts

Lisbon is fab, great place. Never been in Feb but the averages look ok.

IC in Estoril is a good option if you want to be outside of the city but within striking distance and make it a longer stay. You’ll get anywhere you want for less than £300/night.

The Ave da Liberdade has some good hotel options, or more boutique options in Bairro Alto.

If you want guaranteed weather (if there is such a thing) you’ll need to go further afield. I’m considering the exact same options at the moment.

Supergers49 225 posts

We always go to Estoril in February for some mild sunny weather. The IC rooms are perfectly positioned to be a sun trap all morning and afternoon. When it feels 15°C on the beach it can often feel 24/25°C on the IC’s balconies.

If you stay at the IC, always take sunglasses to breakfast.

Michael C 666 posts

Another massive Lisbon fan here!
    Heritage Avenida Liberdade Hotel is lovely and in a great location for
    strolling: definitely within budget and includes b/fast.
    Also Avenida Palace, which is more “grand old dame-y” * unbeatable location.
    From Lisbon you also have various v easy day-trips.
    Hundreds of constantly-changes fab places to eat, but Floresta Das Escadinhas
    is always a great intro.

Iona 57 posts

Thanks all. I appreciate that they’re close together but I might investigate a couple of nights in Lisbon followed by three in Estoril.

ringingup 176 posts

Lisbon is a great city, but – being on the Atlantic Ocean – the weather can be unreliable.

I would also suggest Malaga and thereabouts if you want to stay within 2-3 hours from London.

Otherwise, Canary Islands or even Cape Verde, but that might be a bit too far.

NigelHamilton 200 posts

I’ve been to Lisbon in January when it was 24 degrees. If you’re after a City break, would suggest that the area called Principe Real (near the botanic gardens) is quiet, has access to good restaurants, and is around a 10-15 minute walk from the buzzier/more touristy areas. Anything South and East of there on a map will be livelier and busy at night if that’s your thing! You can also catch a tram out to Belem and the famous tram 28 is also accessible from the central square. Finally I’d highly recommend a walking tour of the city – I went with Lisbon Free Tours.

Hbommie 191 posts

Thanks all. I appreciate that they’re close together but I might investigate a couple of nights in Lisbon followed by three in Estoril.

The train service between the 2 is good, really easy

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.