Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other London life Dating advice

• Lady London 2,040 posts

There’s obviously a connection, it’s time to stop overthinking it. If that connection is reciprocated then it doesn’t matter where you go next, the important thing is to be somewhere you both feel comfortable. I met my ‘current’ wife on the internet, that was now over 20 years ago, we were internet dating pioneers, does anyone remember Love at Lycos? We messaged each other for months before we had a proper date, we look back now and realised we both overcomplicated the situation. Don’t get me wrong, trying to make the first few dates special is really important, but it’s not as important as having fun, so just go with the flow.

I remember love at lycos! Only because my second ever boyfriend (circa 2002) was permanently on it behind my back at the time. He’s still like it now and has a separate phone just for Tinder 🤦‍♀️🙄. I had a lucky escape. Glad it worked for you Strickers!

🙂

The Savage Squirrel 567 posts

The date is next weekend. However, I met her yesterday at a music event, and, despite it being anything but intimate, it seems “we’re on” judging by a passionate kiss we somehow wrapped ourselves up in on a dancefloor. This does somewhat take the pressure off next week.

I’m over the moon. Thank you all for your support.

The silent majority here are popping champagne corks for your success (Krug obviously, this is HfP!). Don’t think I’d worry too much about the venue – sounds like things are going great. Congrats! Stick with what you know.

LondonTravels 18 posts

I will stick with what I know. Partly as it’s what I know, and partly because I’ve just taken a look at the Imperial Treasure … I mean, I know we’re all sleeping 5* and flying F round here but my god those prices.

RTS 123 posts

I will stick with what I know. Partly as it’s what I know, and partly because I’ve just taken a look at the Imperial Treasure … I mean, I know we’re all sleeping 5* and flying F round here but my god those prices.

They take avios?

LondonTravels 18 posts

Barshu take Avios? Wouldn’t that be a result 😉

And no, Imperial Treasure don’t either!

However I’m already wondering how long to leave it before trying to recruit her as a ‘player 2’… which is a terrible thing to cross my mind at this very early stage. Need to put that out of my mind.

ZoeB 88 posts

I’m loving this thread. When I first met my now husband I was more into the Tesco Clubcard points (this was back in the paid to shop days before Rob started HFP). I asked what he used his points for, got the reply I spend them in store. He couldn’t believe how much better value could be had. But before we meet he’d played the Egg credit card games etc. Waking up today in Vietnam as part of a multi carrier redemption to visit my daughter in Australia.

Michael C 670 posts

Ha, ha, I did the same – couldn’t find any “set lunch Tues-Thurs for 20 quid” options!!! Does look lovely inside, though…

LondonTravels 18 posts

Waking up today in Vietnam as part of a multi carrier redemption to visit my daughter in Australia.

Very good Zoe!

I was going to close this little pseudonym account down after date one. I think I’ll pop back with a trip report on her first impressions of a hotel or flight redemption in a few months, if I’m lucky enough to hold on to her. Fairly sure she’s not done one.

RTS 123 posts

I’m invested in this relationship now. You must provide us with regular updates. 🙂

NorthernLass 7,532 posts

Especially when you redeem your first 241 as a couple!

Philondon 274 posts

I’m enjoying reading this. Well done to you.

LondonTravels 18 posts

A quick update: very little went to plan but it was a complete success. I’m very “in” to her and it’s clearly reciprocated.

I’d recommend a GnT the Mirror Bar at the Landmark Hotel if you passing, it’s where we started out and worked a treat. I left her at the station barriers with the request she thinks about possible European city-break locations for this year. Hopefully a mini-trip report to follow.

AJA 1,070 posts

That’s a great update. So pleased for you. It doesn’t matter that it didn’t go to plan. All that matters is that it went well.

RTS 123 posts

A quick update: very little went to plan but it was a complete success. I’m very “in” to her and it’s clearly reciprocated.

I’d recommend a GnT the Mirror Bar at the Landmark Hotel if you passing, it’s where we started out and worked a treat. I left her at the station barriers with the request she thinks about possible European city-break locations for this year. Hopefully a mini-trip report to follow.

Corr 3rd date on a European city break?! Putting us all to shame. For my third date.. i think we went to a coffee shop in the Ned before I jetted off to Prague. 😀

sussexsb 8 posts

Enjoyed this. Bravo.

LondonTravels 18 posts

Thanks @sussexsb and all. We are booked for the bank holiday weekend, redemption hotels and half of the flights. Things are going exceptionally well, all things considered. I will post after the trip then I think we can close the thread. I don’t you all need a blow-by-blow on the two other trips we have booked for the following months (even if they are vaguely on-topic seeing as they are both on points) 🙂

Skywalker 693 posts

Thanks @sussexsb and all. We are booked for the bank holiday weekend, redemption hotels and half of the flights. Things are going exceptionally well, all things considered. I will post after the trip then I think we can close the thread. I don’t you all need a blow-by-blow on the two other trips we have booked for the following months (even if they are vaguely on-topic seeing as they are both on points) 🙂

Pity, I was just gearing up to have a regular “Rewards Romance” segment

Congratulations 😁 – if there is a wedding, I absolutely expect it to be announced and celebrated at the next HfP party 🙂

NorthernLass 7,532 posts

Definitely. And using your 241 to jet off somewhere fabulous on honeymoon!

BajiNahid 169 posts

Awww so sweet! All the best @LondonTravels.

Teary eyed here as I currently swipe through tinder and hope not to make a mistake in swiping right on the wrong one! 😉

LondonTravels 18 posts

The weekend is here. Well, it is for me and “new date”, we both have the Friday off work. Champagne in the galleries lounge is new for her. I’m loosing Silver later this year and she’s already asked how do I keep it 😝. Flight in a couple of hours.

My flight’s a redemption (Avios out, On Business back), her’s bought with a 2p Avios voucher, and we have a few nights in an apparently wonderful IHG, using a credit card free night and points. I’ve negotiated a cash upgrade to a suite.

Not a cat in hell’s chance she’ll make a player 2, but I have twisted her arm enough to get a Chase account. So the search for a partner in points crime continues.

I booked this trip including the hotel choice nine months ago as a solo traveller. It would appear I selected very well as a spot for a new couple. Lovely coastal property with a nearby interesting city. I can believe how blessed I’ve been to meet someone who is so much fun, nor can I believe she readily agreed to accompany me on a foreign trip so soon after meeting. I’m ridiculously excited.

I snuck off to post this, I’ll do the promised mini-trip report when I’m back (I can’t see me getting much phone-time between now and then).

If you’re in T5 galleries north look out for the loved-up middle aged pair.

can2 457 posts

It is honestly so sweet. Good luck with all!

Froggee 901 posts

Please do let us know how the Intercontinental Estoril is. (I’m guessing). Don’t worry your secret is safe with us but family Froggee is booked there for later in the year so I do hope it is nice.

Also if you could ask them to remove the breakables from reception that would be much appreciated.

The Savage Squirrel 567 posts

Sounds great; enjoy your weekend. I think the entire HfP forum is now emotionally invested in your new relationship. If I was in T5GN now I would 100% be playing guess-the-couple, almost certainly get it wrong and end up having an embarrassing conversation with a very confused pair of random people 🤣.

LondonTravels 18 posts

Yeah, good guess @froggee, and I’ll be sure to warn the receptionists 😆

Well, we’ve sunk a good half a bottle of cheap fizz each and better stagger to the gate.

Hope the rest of team HfP have a cracking weekend.

marshy11 247 posts

Have fun @LondonTravels I hope the weekend is all that you wish for and more. I’m off out into the garden to dodge the rain and move some blocks.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.