Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Do cabin crew know if you paid with cash or Avios?

• Lambtiger 18 posts

Always wondered if the cabin crew know if business class passengers have paid in cash or Avios, and if it makes a difference to the frequency they refill your champagne glass…?

ChrisBCN 236 posts

It’s Christmas?

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,100 posts

Emirates pursers are aware of this I know. Wouldn’t therefore suprise me if other airlines are too.

dougzz99 623 posts

Always wondered if the cabin crew know if business class passengers have paid in cash or Avios, and if it makes a difference to the frequency they refill your champagne glass…?

I’m sure I’ve read on FT that they don’t. I think refills equate far more to crew attitude and engagement.

John 1,000 posts

Why would the cabin crew care, how you paid doesn’t affect them personally. If BA cared it would have to be an official policy

I’ve been treated excellently on op-ups to F from a J redemption, and poorly in paid J (at least it was ex-EU and I only really care about the flat bed seat)

meta 1,435 posts

Emirates pursers are aware of this I know. Wouldn’t therefore suprise me if other airlines are too.

Only if you upgraded, not if you purchased outright with miles.

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

I don’t think they do, or if they do it doesn’t seem to affect the standard of service. I’ve travelled on both (and mixed bookings as a family), and always been treated the same as other pax and family members. It does differ from one steward to another, from almost indifferent to positively pampered!

novelty-socks 14 posts

I’ve travelled on super-expensive business tickets, and also had complimentary upgrades and everything in between. Never noticed any variation in service that I can put down to how I paid for the flight, or how much it cost.

Not really what the question is about, but somewhat related: The only recognition I’ve ever had TBH was on a short-haul flight some years ago where I was congratulated for attaining Bronze!

AJA 1,070 posts

No they don’t and it makes no difference at all to how they treat passengers.

What cabin crew do know is who is a BAEC member and their individual status which does sometimes result in extra acknowledgement, I have had personal welcomes on board whereas the passenger in front or behind me is not greeted the same way.

I’ve also had champagne brought to my seat in WTP a few times and used to get regular upgrades on outbound flights from WTP to Club when I was flying every month from LHR to Washington. Never got the upgrade on the return flight but used to get offered the Cluv World pre-flight dining service in the restaurant on the lower floor of the lounge which was rather pleasant. (Not sure if that still exists?) Not bad for Silver status.

Nogbad 6 posts

I believe an Avios ticket shows as a different booking class on the boarding pass.
    Having said that, I have never had different service when paying versus award flight

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

Thinking about it, the lounge dragon at LHR did once try to refuse us entry so that sounds right about it being on the boarding pass. I had to produce the email confirmation of my booking showing the bit where it confirms you can use the lounge.
    I doubt cabin crew would look beyond your seat number though.

TGLoyalty 519 posts

They don’t know you’ve had an Op-up so doubt the know if you’ve booked via avios.

@Anna
    the booking class is but it would have said if you had status or if it was business to give you access, not aware of any business/first ticket with BA that doesn’t give you lounge access.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    lcy8737 11 posts

More importantly: Why would they care? The crew are stressed out enough by delivering the existing service standard. Doubt they have the time to put additional differentiators in depending on how much someone paid for their ticket.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.