Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Flight changes and cancellations help DP – BA Flt Cancellation (11 days prior)

• RobL 72 posts

Received a cancellation email this morning for LGW-MAH on 16 May. This flight had still been showing as operated by BA although I had previously been informed (by BA) that both outbound and inbound flights were to be operated by Iberia. The inbound (21 May) is still showing as operated by Iberia Express.

Made 4 calls to BA Exec line – all cut off within a few minutes. Opened up Chat at 10.15 and repetitively entered ‘speak to agent’, got through at 10.40. Had already researched alternate flights and requested rerouting on Iberia via Madrid, similar departure time (10.45 vs original 10.25) and now due to arrive MAH at 17.15 (vs 13.50 originally).

Agent ‘struggled’ for a while to ‘find’ the flights but did eventually book what I wanted which took about 20 minutes. I advised that I would be seeking UK/EU 261 compensation and he provided me with the online link.

Any views on what I might be entitled to?

SamG 1,639 posts

I believe none if cancelled within 13-7 days and new departure no more than 2hrs before / arrival less than 4hrs later than scheduled time

I’m amazed BA are still cancelling within 14 days of departure

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    ervo 3 posts

Yesterday I got a 241 avios booking to SFO cancelled. The return leg is still OK. Email says I can rebook on manage my booking but I can’t. Phoning gets nowhere. Anyuone any ideas about how to get re-booked. I have 2 weeks hotels and car booked. This is the third time I’ve had to rebook this trip in the past 2 years, after Covid stopped the earlier ones. At the momment single oneway flights on the same day are showing at just over 10k pounds?

davefl 1,216 posts

Yesterday I got a 241 avios booking to SFO cancelled. The return leg is still OK. Email says I can rebook on manage my booking but I can’t. Phoning gets nowhere. Anyuone any ideas about how to get re-booked. I have 2 weeks hotels and car booked. This is the third time I’ve had to rebook this trip in the past 2 years, after Covid stopped the earlier ones. At the momment single oneway flights on the same day are showing at just over 10k pounds?

One way flights on BA (as with most legacy carriers) are always more expensive than a return due to the apalling way they treat their cattle, sorry.. customers.

Several years ago I priced SEA-LHR return, $2700 against SEA-LHR one way which was $9000.

There’s also the Saturday night rule- MAN-AMS out mon, back fri on BA was £700, but reverse the booking and AMS-MAN, fri, and back mon, same planes was less then £200. Saved my employer £2000 per month doing that every week.

RobL 72 posts

Get on Chat with BA (from the contact page) and keep pasting ‘speak to agent’ in until you get connected. Mine was also a 241 avios booking.

Just ignore the ‘can I help you with anything else’ prompt and keep entering ‘speak to agent’.

Do your research so that you can tell the agent exactly which flight you want to be rebooked onto. American Airlines might be a good alternative option.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.