Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• pbcold 346 posts

EJ has just cancelled our flights on Saturday morning, when I selected the option for a hotel overnight the system says they do not have any in the vicinity (of Gatwick!). Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do next please?

Lady London 2,020 posts

Call them.
    Keep a screenshot
    Book your own after 3 reasonable attempts

Do you actually need a hotel?
    What alternative flight have they offered you?

pbcold 346 posts

Many thanks for reply LL. I don`t need a hotel as live in Ascot – next flight is about 30 hours later which is precious family holiday time lost but no more.

Lady London 2,020 posts

Ok this looks like £220 for shorthaul cancellation, per seat. Did they say why your booked flight was cancelled? I can only think of an air traffic control restriction being allowed as an exception as Covid is now a known fact and no sudden deterioration so should have to pay this compo.

Looks like you should also claim reimbursement of costs to return from airport to your ‘hotel or other’ accommodation under UK legislation equivalent of EU261 Article 9(1)c, and back to airport. HMRC rate is at 45p per mile, Should be reasonable to claim that.

Ideal would be to produce any fuel receipt from around the date, doesn’t have to match what you’re claiming, just to prove the existence of that cost to you. I am not sure if HMRC has increased the 0.45p per mile rate given recent fuel price increases but for this it’s probably a fair enough rate. Hotel likely to have cost very considerably more so I’d claim the transport costs on top of the compo. Plus 30 hours later has trashed 2 days of your holiday.

EDIT looks like you hadn’t already travelled to the airport so no claim for transport costs. But for anyone who had already travelled then should be claimable.

Still think you get compo though.

ChrisC 956 posts

LL I would assume that @pbcold is sat in their lounge watching Pointless and won’t be anywhere near the airport until their now delayed flight so would have no claim for any extra transport costs.

Lady London 2,020 posts

LL I would assume that @pbcold is sat in their lounge watching Pointless and won’t be anywhere near the airport until their now delayed flight so would have no claim for any extra transport costs.

Correct I edited above a few minutes ago

pbcold 346 posts

Many thanks.

pbcold 346 posts

Nothing has been said about why this happened:

Your Booking:

Dear

We’re really sorry that your easyJet flight 8373 from LGW to BDS on 02-04-2022 has been cancelled. We’d like to apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Please read this email carefully; it explains the options available to you, including transferring onto another flight for free. The quickest and easiest way to make any changes is by using our mobile app or going to Manage Bookings.?

Your Booking:

Dear ,

We’re really sorry that your easyJet flight 8373 from LGW to BDS on 02-04-2022 has been cancelled. We’d like to apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Please read this email carefully; it explains the options available to you, including transferring onto another flight for free. The quickest and easiest way to make any changes is by using our mobile app or going to Manage Bookings.?

What happens now?

There are several options available to you, which you can request quickly and easily online by logging into your booking on our website or via our easyJet App:

1. Switch to another flight for free. You can search easyJet flights and make changes to your booking yourself via Manage Bookings. If there are no available flights on the same day, we can also offer you a hotel room for the night, if you need one.

2. Choose a voucher for the full value of your ticket. The voucher is valid for 12 months from the date of issue and gives you the flexibility to book travel anywhere on our network when you’re ready to fly. You can request the voucher yourself online via Manage Bookings.

3. Request a refund. You can request this yourself via Manage Bookings. Our team are currently processing refund requests within 7 days, and this may take a few days to show as available in your account, depending on your bank. Please note that refunds are made to the account used to make the booking with us. Once you’ve submitted an online refund request, you can track the status of your request here.

If you need a hotel room:

If there are no available flights on the same day, we’d like to offer you a hotel room for the night of your cancelled flight, if you need one. You can request a room for the night after you’ve transferred onto a new flight on our app or in Manage Bookings. Please don’t try to book your own hotel accommodation. If you book and pay for a hotel when we could have provided it for you, we won’t be able to reimburse you for those expenses.

If you need a wheelchair accessible room, please select ‘I don’t need a hotel’ and contact our Customer Services Team who will be happy to book you a room that meets your requirements.

Additional information:

More information about the disruption to your flight is available on our Flight Tracker.

For more information on your entitlements, please visit our notice of rights and Delays & Cancellations page.

For our full terms and conditions, please visit our website.

If you didn’t book your flights directly with us and would like a voucher or refund, please contact the agency you booked your flights with to arrange this.

If you arranged other services for your trip, like hotels, transfers or car hire, please contact the relevant service provider directly to change or cancel these.

ChrisC 956 posts

What is it you want to do?

Rebook the flight for the next available or take the refund or voucher?

If they can’t offer you a hotel then no problem in arranging your own and claiming back if you need one. It doesn’t have to be on the LGW site or close to it? This time of year you’re more than likely to have to go further afield.

If the next flight isn’t for 30 hours then how does that impact your holiday? Is it bearable or does it make it a trip in vain? How easy to extend the return date?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.