Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes Emirates Skywards miles or Amex Membership Rewards – how do I confirm cost?

• SizeableGarden 5 posts

Hello,

I want to book a flight with Emirates using my Amex Membership Rewards points. I’ve recently created an Emirates Skyward Miles acccount so I don’t have any points registered with them, so I will look to transfer the required points for my flights.

If I search for my flights through the Emirates website, it doesn’t show the Skyward Miles required but the Skywards Miles calculator does give a number.

If I search for the same flights through the American Express website it clearly shows the number of points required to book the flight.

However, the number of American Express Memebership Reward points is a few times more than Emirates Skywards Miles calculator’s figure for the same flights.

Does anyone know how accurate the Skywards Miles calculator is or is there a better way of determining the number of Miles I would require for my flights?

Thanks

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,229 posts

You need to be careful with Emirates. There are ‘Classic’ and ‘Anytime’ rewards, for eg UK-Dubai return in Business is (IIRC) 90k for Classic return and 125k for Anytime return. A one-way is 62,500 regardless of whether Classic is available or not.

Before doing a transfer you therefore you need to know if Classic seats are available for the exact flight you want.

SizeableGarden 5 posts

Thanks,

I am trying to get my head round the Classic Rewards and Skyward Miles + Cash options. I haven’t found a clear explanation of the differences.

Clicking the Classic Rewards options offers a price using Skywards Miles + Cash and the figure is different from the Skywards Calculator and yet much less than booking through American Express.

Is there a better way (airline) of booking a flight to Dubai?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.