Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• chrischris2202 29 posts

I just noticed that the eShop has quite a selection of brands I buy from fairly regularly. Does anyone have experience in terms of how exactly the cookies track you to make that purchase? Is there no other way but to purchase through the link on the eShop?

Been missing out on quite a lot..

Cranzle 272 posts

I just noticed that the eShop has quite a selection of brands I buy from fairly regularly. Does anyone have experience in terms of how exactly the cookies track you to make that purchase? Is there no other way but to purchase through the link on the eShop?

Been missing out on quite a lot..

No, the only way is to click through on the link to the shop after you have logged in.
    It’s the same as any other c4$hb4ck site.
    There are very few card linked offers.

Andrew. 481 posts

The only advice I’d give is make sure your security settings aren’t set too tightly that the cookies are forbidden from tracking your purchases.

Never complete the purchase using the retailer’s App if on mobile or tablet.

Clear your shopping basket, cookies and browsing history completely before initiating a transaction. Ie complete clear, log into the site, click through, select purchase.

Be ready to accept that a generous proportion will not track properly, will not pay out, or the retailer will recall years later.

Mouse 173 posts

To add to what @Andrew. said, I try to minimise the time and number of steps between clicking through from BA eShpos to checking out. So, e.g., have an account set up already with the merchant with the correct billing & delivery information; log in to the merchant site before going to BA then close that tab, so that when you click through you are already logged in; have search terms to take me to exactly the product page I want to order so that I go from landing page to order complete in three or four screens. I’ve never had a problem receiving avios but I might also have been quite lucky.

dst87 264 posts

Agree with the comments above. Another tip is to have a separate browser used for this. I use Firefox (which isn’t my normal browser), have all of the privacy / security features turns to the minimum, and I have it set to clear all browser data every time the browser is closed. It makes it quick and easy to jump into a clean browsing session and know that there are no other cookies likely to interfere.

MattB 261 posts

Agree with the comments above. Another tip is to have a separate browser used for this. I use Firefox (which isn’t my normal browser), have all of the privacy / security features turns to the minimum, and I have it set to clear all browser data every time the browser is closed. It makes it quick and easy to jump into a clean browsing session and know that there are no other cookies likely to interfere.

100% the above I only use IE or whatever its called now for shopping through the various portals. Everything else in my regular browser. Make hundreds of transactions a year can’t remember the last time I had to chase something up.

I got 33k avios via a single txn via booking.com last year, can anyone beat that?

TicknBash 36 posts

Also just check the retailer website is in your ‘Visit History’.
    IME, never had a problem with their Customer Service to honour the points with relevant invoice / receipt.

AJA 1,071 posts

Also screen shot both the e-store pop-up which says “Your eStore transaction has successfully tracked” and the order you’ve placed on the retailer website. I’ve had Avios not posting but when I attach a screen shot of both then the Avios are usually retrospectively credited.

The reason many Avios are not awarded is that the eStore says you clicked elsewhere before making a purchase so I usually do as above and clear cookies and cache etc and often do incognito mode. Also I find that it is best to add the items to the basket and then only log into an account with the retailer during the check out process although I notice that others advise logging in first.

Your post reminds me that I have 3 purchases from M&S in December that have not been awarded. I will retroclaim today.

Alesio 26 posts

read the T & Cs thoroughly as they sometimes may offer a bonus period of X number of points per £ but when buying selected products you will get the normal X points per £.

I mostly shop via John Lewis and have received most of my points being tracked barring a few chase ups, one change that I have observed is that estore calculates the amount they give out minus the VAT of the total price.

chrischris2202 29 posts

Your post reminds me that I have 3 purchases from M&S in December that have not been awarded. I will retroclaim today.

Thank you for all the responses and glad I could do some good as well!

I also made a Booking.com purchase just now for quite a vacation, should be around 15k Avios so definitely worth it. Although in pure cash terms the 5% Wizz Air offer might have been better 😀

Ghosty 15 posts

Had a message from BA today that they are taking back all the miles I have earned from itunes in the past year.

Wally1976 188 posts

I always use incognito mode.

icg2201 13 posts

Had a message from BA today that they are taking back all the miles I have earned from itunes in the past year.

Why are they doing that?

Ghosty 15 posts

Usually bull
    that they have been informed by itunes they no longer qualify because:
    part or full return
    invalid voucher
    last click not from BA
    not meet purchase conditions
    item has different avios collection rate
    Like I said ‘bull’

Keely 78 posts

What is people’s recent experience of using estore? I stopped using a couple of years ago as every transaction either didn’t track or there was an excuse not to pay . I swopped to T0pca$hback and have had no problems at all . However I can see that there is double avios on booking.com …just wondering if to cancel and rebook my current bookings ….

toddy 113 posts

I find BA eStore very mixed. John Lewis NEVER tracks (7/8 transactions), whereas others do seem to track.

The Aer Lingus eStore tracks every time for me – this may just be coincidence as they 2 systems look identical.

I do like some of the tips above though, that should help.

NHS_Slave 22 posts

I very rarely have issues, including John Lewis.

I had one purchase that didn’t track before Christmas for Sonos, but this was later credited with no arguments at all.

My method is to have everything in the basket on your chosen site, close the tab, then click through from eStore to complete the purchase. I use Safari on a mac.

I have no idea how they calculate the number of avios awarded… It rarely matches up with the ‘x Avios / £1’ on eStore.

rum 275 posts

I have no idea how they calculate the number of avios awarded… It rarely matches up with the ‘x Avios / £1’ on eStore.

It’s usually = (Avios) x (purchase price excluding VAT minus any delivery charges) for most retailers.

Other retailers may have a bit more detail in the small print. Just Eat and Deliveroo for example are notorious. The headline amount might be 5 points per £1, but if you read the small print, that only applies to customers that are new to those retailers. i.e. if it’s your first time buying from Just Eats/Deliveroo. The small print then suggests existing customers will get a smaller rate; usually 1 point per £1.

Ajj81 6 posts

If you use a BA amex card to purchase from the eShop do you get the avios for going via this site and also the avios for spending on your card or do you only get 1 lot?

toddy 113 posts

If you use a BA amex card to purchase from the eShop do you get the avios for going via this site and also the avios for spending on your card or do you only get 1 lot?

Both 🙂

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.