Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Housekeeping Etiquette

• maccymac 15 posts

What is the correct etiquette for saying thank you? I needed some help yesterday and many were very helpful. I want to say thank you but that would push the thread I created to the top of recent topics and ‘clog up’ the feed for others.

So what should happen? Do I say thank you? or is it not expected? On FlyerT you can like comments, is there any way to do this here?

Many thanks in advance.

Froggee 886 posts

The more manners in this forum the better in my view. The feed isn’t that busy so thank away. I totally didn’t help you but on behalf of those that did, you’re welcome.

Reney 755 posts

The more manners in this forum the better in my view. The feed isn’t that busy so thank away. I totally didn’t help you but on behalf of those that did, you’re welcome.

I agree, I wouldn’t let the idea of cluttering up a thread stop you saying thanks. I always appreciate a response. If someone spends the time sharing their knowledge and typing sometimes very long replies the least you can do is type a quick thank you.

The lack of thanks has never stopped me helping someone yet, but certainly doesn’t encourage me to help either.

John 1,000 posts

Well, by starting this thread you’ve “clogged up” the feed anyway, and what’s worse the only way to find your original thread is to scan old threads manually!

It was an interesting topic so I see nothing wrong with pushing it back to the top, it will let people who have missed it read it. Those who have already read the first few posts and aren’t interested will skip it whether it is at the top or the bottom of the recent topics.

The Savage Squirrel 567 posts

+1. Even better, it’s always nice when an original poster comes back and lets you know the outcome no matter what the topic, no matter if they preferred someone else’s suggestion to yours. Conversely it feels a bit off if a number of people take time giving detailed replies and yet the OP never responds again to their own thread. “Thanks for all the great suggestions – we have decided to do X” is more than fine. If they then drop back in and let people know how X worked out later then even better!

If it’s not a topic that is interesteing or relevant to some members, they won’t even know if it was the original poster or a further reply anyway, because they will have skipped past the thread.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Reney 755 posts

+1. Even better, it’s always nice when an original poster comes back and lets you know the outcome no matter what the topic, no matter if they preferred someone else’s suggestion to yours. Conversely it feels a bit off if a number of people take time giving detailed replies and yet the OP never responds again to their own thread. “Thanks for all the great suggestions – we have decided to do X” is more than fine. If they then drop back in and let people know how X worked out later then even better!

If it’s not a topic that is interesteing or relevant to some members, they won’t even know if it was the original poster or a further reply anyway, because they will not have skipped past the thread.

+1 I’m also curious how things work out too!

Lula 205 posts

Not sure on etiquette in forums generally but I always say thank you if someone has helped (or tried to help) me. I would always do so in real life and I don’t see why I wouldn’t also do so online.

Re it bringing it to the top of the topics, I think that the fraction of a second it takes to scroll past, or the 20 seconds it takes for someone to open, read, realise that’s all that’s been said and go back, is a small price to pay for good manners. Just my opinion though obviously!

Aston100 1,374 posts

I think part of the problem is the lack of notification when someone replies to your thread or quotes your post.
    I’m sure I’ve occasionally missed helpful replies to my own questions, especially if they were a couple of days after I posted.

Still not sure why such an important function has not been turned on (yet).

yonasl 952 posts

If it’s not a topic that is interesteing or relevant to some members, they won’t even know if it was the original poster or a further reply anyway, because they will not have skipped past the thread.

+1 I’m also curious how things work out too!

Agree on this. I try to find my old threads and rely with an update on what happened (I had this or that delay, requested compensation, got it or not).

This is very helpful and can be of assistance to others plus a great way to say thanks.

The Savage Squirrel 567 posts

I try to find my old threads

In case anyone missed it, no need to “try and find” your old threads. Go into the “account” menu and you will find both a “topics started” and “replies created” submenu with your previous activity.

Aston100 1,374 posts

I try to find my old threads

In case anyone missed it, no need to “try and find” your old threads. Go into the “account” menu and you will find both a “topics started” and “replies created” submenu with your previous activity.

While this is a workaround of sorts, it is less than ideal.
    What other forums have notifications switched off?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.