Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Flight changes and cancellations help Flight cancelled from GCM to UK – options?

• The real Swiss Tony 654 posts

I think the April tweaking has now been done, as we planned to travel at the end of the month.

When I first went to Cayman in the early 80’s things were a bit prickly re Cuba. I recall one flight out of Miami had to route around the side of the island and on another we had to close the window blinds as we flew over, because yeah, that was going to make all the difference… Republic DC9’s and the Cayman Airways 727. God I feel old now.

NorthernLass 7,565 posts

I think the April tweaking has now been done, as we planned to travel at the end of the month.

Wow – that will be the first time we have ever flown that route and not been tweaked!

Yes – I didn’t think Cayman would have any issues about Cuba but the first time we flew Cayman Airways I asked if the land mass we were flying over was Cuba (which I now know is) and the attendant went all shifty and muttered that she didn’t know what it was! I couldn’t really believe that as they fly that route several times per day and couldn’t possibly be unaware of the routing. Even weirder as I’m sure they used to fly to Havana at one time as well?

DoubleA 24 posts

I’ve had my return flight next July cancelled and they’ve rebooked onto the next day which seems strange compared to everyone else having theirs cut shorter. An extra night is nice but I now have an additional hotel night, f&b, dog sitter etc. to pay for.

Do I have any real options other than moving the return to the day before and losing a day’s holiday, cancel the whole trip or suck up the extra costs? How much fighting am I likely to have to do to fly back via the US? TIA

JDB 4,375 posts

I’ve had my return flight next July cancelled and they’ve rebooked onto the next day which seems strange compared to everyone else having theirs cut shorter. An extra night is nice but I now have an additional hotel night, f&b, dog sitter etc. to pay for.

Do I have any real options other than moving the return to the day before and losing a day’s holiday, cancel the whole trip or suck up the extra costs? How much fighting am I likely to have to do to fly back via the US? TIA

In principle BA should be on the hook for your extra hotel night and food but not the dog sitter, parking or other consequential costs. This should particularly apply as they rebooked you rather than you choosing a day later vs a day earlier. This will however almost certainly be on a pay and claim later basis and I note that currently BA is peddling the line that no ‘right to care’ costs will be reimbursed if the cancellation was more than 14 days in advance. I have seen this six times in the last few weeks.

The same wording was used on each occasion:- “Under EU legislation, we aren’t liable to pay compensation nor reimburse you for your expenses if we have notified you about the cancellation well in advance, at least 14 days prior to the departure date.”

and in fact none had sought cancellation compensation either.

Lady London 2,045 posts

@DoubleA @JDB is completely right. Legally, regardless of their own policies and conditions, BA is resppnsible for duty of care. This would still be the case even if they had cancelled hundreds of days ahead. Thus includes the extra night’s accommodation, transport to and from the accommodation, all meals falling due during your extended wait time at reasonable local rates, internet.

If where you’re staying is reasonsbly priced for the location you are not normally expected to move. Alcohol appearing on your receipt is also unlikely to be reimbursed.

If you want to make really sure you could advise BA/ have them add a note to the PNR saying you will be claiming those categories of expense from them and offering them the chance to provide the hotel to you rather than you having to book and claim. Don’t worry they won’t but it does cover you for having given them the opportunity.

DoubleA 24 posts

Thanks both – we’re staying at the Seafire so almost certainly not considered reasonably priced! Would they expect us to move or potentially reimburse for the equivalent of a reasonable room?

I’ve luckily never had a flight moved or cancelled so this is all new to me – and had another domestic connection MAN-LHR cancelled for 02 Oct where they did not rebook me onto the later flight, even thought it arrives in LHR 2:55 ahead of our flight to BOS. I manually rebooked that one – have I now screwed myself over if other things go wrong?

NorthernLass 7,565 posts

I keep trying to tell people they mess with the GCM route all the time – out of 6 or 7 times we’ve flown there directly as opposed to going via the US there’s been a cancellation or change on every single trip, including the one last month!

@DoubleA
    , I don’t know how BA would respond to the hotel claim – they say £200 pn is what they will pay, but they have stumped up a lot more when people have claimed from somewhere like the Maldives where there is literally no other option other than the resort you are staying at. I don’t think I would risk it – book into somewhere like the Hampton Inn or Sunshine suites (which will still set you back around £400 pn but are genuinely the most reasonable options in that location) and bill BA the cost of getting you there in a taxi if applicable.

There’s a newish “budget” hotel called Locale but I’ve no idea if it’s any good.

JDB 4,375 posts

Thanks both – we’re staying at the Seafire so almost certainly not considered reasonably priced! Would they expect us to move or potentially reimburse for the equivalent of a reasonable room?

I’ve luckily never had a flight moved or cancelled so this is all new to me – and had another domestic connection MAN-LHR cancelled for 02 Oct where they did not rebook me onto the later flight, even thought it arrives in LHR 2:55 ahead of our flight to BOS. I manually rebooked that one – have I now screwed myself over if other things go wrong?

It is entirely reasonable to stay in the same hotel, irrespective of cost. Conversely, it would be unreasonable for BA to ask you to pack up on your penultimate day and move to inferior lodging only to lack up again. The CAA says BA should cover costs that are:- “necessary, appropriate and reasonable”.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.