Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Food (or not) on Club Europe flight

• Misty 291 posts

I was wondering if DH and I will get a meal on a club flight to Madeira, or if we don’t is there the option to order something on line and pay for it in advance to be delivered to our seats. I’m not sure how this works as on my last flight with BA we were in the ‘banana bread’ seats.

yonasl 976 posts

Can we forbid the use of “DH” in HfP?

As for your question, on a CE flight you will get a warm meal served.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,244 posts

Yes there will be a meal for you on CE

Froggee 985 posts

They will call it a meal. If you’re a big eater then you may well be disappointed.

Misty 291 posts

Thank you folks, apologies as I didn’t know Dh was banned, I shall place that anacronym in the same bucket as MS.

Not a big eater as such Froggee, but need to know if an urgent call at Pret will be needed, on a ‘just in case ‘ basis.

leggyblonde 14 posts

You will have access to a lounge for food beforehand too. It’s popular on here to slag off the BA lounges but I find them perfectly adequate, especially at at LGW and T5B at LHR

NorthernLass 8,220 posts

I think Madeira will get you a decent meal – my last 2 flights that length (AGP and GIB) were pretty good, starter, main, pudding and cheese. The wines were good as well.

MrWhite 47 posts

Don’t forget the basket of goodies passed around later on the flight too 🙂

LittleNick 143 posts

It’s popular on here to slag off the BA lounges but I find them perfectly adequate, especially at at LGW and T5B at LHR

And on FT too, probably because there’s very good reason

Lyn 188 posts

One thing to note is that you may not get your first choice of meal in CE unless you are in the first few rows. They always seem to run out of whatever turns out to be the most popular option. If you happen to have BA status, it is worth choosing seats towards the front. Even Bronze lets you choose seats 7 days ahead. Hope you enjoy the lounge and your CE flight and holiday.

Jill Kinkell 163 posts

As one who returned from Madeira a couple of weeks ago, I can say we had a perfectly adequate meal with G&Ts and several bottles ( minis !) of wine. No complaints from us!
    Enjoy the trip… we did. Keen to go back and see the gardens at a different time of year

LD27 204 posts

I would avoid row 3. Flew back from Sofia last month. There were about 9 full rows. Trolley service started at row 4. Rows 1 to 3 were served individually from the front. By the time row 2 was served, there was no choice left!

MrWhite 47 posts

I would avoid row 3. Flew back from Sofia last month. There were about 9 full rows. Trolley service started at row 4. Rows 1 to 3 were served individually from the front. By the time row 2 was served, there was no choice left!

I think that’s down to the individual crew rather than the norm

Misty 291 posts

Thanks for all the tips folks. I’m a lowly blue so I think I will need to pay to get specific seats, which presumably I will be able to do via Manage my Booking. I’ll try and avoid row 3. I’m going from LHR & am pretty sure I am going from T5, if there isn’t a lounge, Amex have sent me 4 complimentary passes for lounges that I might be able to use.

@Jill I’m going to book the Porto Mare Hotel B&B, as you did, the gardens look beautiful, and reviews very good. I just need my BAEC account to stop messing me around as I wish to book through the shopping portal to get some extra points, but it keeps giving me strange error messages, and asking me to log in when I am already logged in, weird!

JDB 4,630 posts

@Misty I really wouldn’t pay to select a seat based on the likelihood of getting your first food choice. The comment re row 3 was someone’s individual experience. My son is also blue, so was consigned to 12F yesterday yet got his first choice.

It just seems that some people are a bit fussy/demanding – what do they do when invited to dinner at someone’s house?.

Misty 291 posts

Ha, ha probably look in the oven to see if it’s clean maybe? As I assumed I would just get what I was given I wouldn’t have known. A whole new (food) world is opening up before me.

Why is everybody else @ in blue but mine in normal?

Peter K 579 posts

My last Club Europe flight (Dalaman, Turkey, in June) was served from row 1 backwards, not from row 1 & 4. This was the same outbound and inbound.

Misty 291 posts

Thanks Peter, so it seems to be bit in the lap of the Gods’ I won’t get my hopes up then I might be pleasantly surprised.

Misty 291 posts

Thanks Peter, so it seems to be bit in the lap of the Gods’ I won’t get my hopes up then I might be pleasantly surprised.

NorthernLass 8,220 posts

@Misty, you will have lounge access at T5(BA Galleries) . You might want to look at a few reviews of these and the ones your Amex passes cover to decide whether it’s worth using one of these.

Jill Kinkell 163 posts

@Misty . I was looking back pics we took our our trip… my meal was some kind of creamy salad thing as a starter. Smoked salmon salad.( quite salty) OH had a curry which he said was nice. The usual choc mousse and some biscuits and cheese . We were in 1a&c. bagged when Gold but I actually thought we would be booted out as no longer Gold. Probably something similar on return journey.
    Porto Mare is very good value and I would happily return.
    (PS… pics of some plane meal trays only happens on hols, for the photo book after) never at other times)

Misty 291 posts

Thanks NorthernLass I will have a root about and see if I can find any reviews of Galleries, I would imagine Rob has put some up at some point.

Jill thanks for the info on the food, I’m sure it will be adequate for our needs, I’m not expecting fine dining. Glad you didn’t get booted out of your seats.

_Tom 27 posts

Thank you folks, apologies as I didn’t know Dh was banned, I shall place that anacronym in the same bucket as MS.

Not a big eater as such Froggee, but need to know if an urgent call at Pret will be needed, on a ‘just in case ‘ basis.

Am I the only one who doesn’t know what DH and MS mean?🧐

Lyn 188 posts

Ha, ha probably look in the oven to see if it’s clean maybe? As I assumed I would just get what I was given I wouldn’t have known. A whole new (food) world is opening up before me.

Why is everybody else @ in blue but mine in normal?

@Misty
    , the names come out in blue if you use the whole user name, so you would have to add Jill’s last name as well, exactly as you see it on the left, for it to come out in blue.

I certainly agree that it would not be worth paying for seats just to get your first choice! If you aren’t used to CE, it should be a treat and you certainly won’t starve. The feeling of extra space with the empty middle seat between you also makes a difference even on a short flight to Paris, let alone a longer flight to Madeira.

You may want to try the BA lounge since CE gives you both access to it, and leave other lounges you may have access to for when you aren’t flying CE. I alomost hesitate to mention this, but if you just happen to have a lot of extra time on your hands before your flight you could even take the train to the lounge in terminal B, which is nicer and usually less crowded. However, only do this if you can allow enough time to walk back to the main A terminal if your flight leaves from there. You cannot take the train back, you have to use the underground walkway, but it may feel good to strech your legs anyway before your flight. Rob has articles on both the T5B lounge and the underground walkway.

Misty 291 posts

Hi Lyn, we had at least an hours delay this summer going to Kefalonia, but we were in ET so no lounge, we just had to hang around in the incredibly busy terminal building which was a bit of a zoo. I’m fairly confident of being delayed as the last 4 flights we have been on (not all BA) have been delayed.

@_Tom

DH is Dear Husband, I have worked out that I am supposed to call him Player 2, MS means Manufactured Spending of which I know nothing.

Yeah, I seem to have cracked the @ problem

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.