Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Virgin Atlantic Foreign transaction fees same as Starling?

• sturgeon 189 posts

I always use my Starling card exclusively for trips abroad for the near perfect exchange rate. I need to book a holiday online in Euros so was researching which card to use as I’d rather use my BA Amex, Barclaycard Avios or Virgin premium card so the spend contributes to unlock vouchers.

It appears the first two apply a 2.99% transaction fee. Virgin apparently doesn’t charge any fee in the European economic area. Additionally after using the online currency converter on both the Virgin and Starling site today, both transactions would cost the identical amount in sterling. Both charge a small 0.53% markup on the European Central Bank fee.

I had no idea about this. Will the foreign spend on my virgin card still earn 1.5 points per £ after exchange rate is applied? And crucially does this spend still contribute towards the spend threshold to unlock a voucher?

If so, I see no good reason to use my starling or any other fee-free debit card in Europe in the future if I already own a virgin card. Unless I’m missing something? The starling still makes sense outside of Europe though or virgin do charge 2.99%

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Guernsey Globetrotter 584 posts

Yes- this is correct, as per the current HfP review of the Virgin credit cards:

https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/02/18/review-virgin-atlantic-reward-plus-mastercard-credit-card-4/

“At present, Virgin Money is not charging any fees when you pay for something in Euro, Swedish Kronor or Romanian Lei.

This is NOT an advertised benefit, but you will see it written in the small print of the credit agreement. It only applies to ‘in person’ transactions and not online spending.

As Virgin Money adds a 3% foreign exchange fee on transactions in all other currencies, you might want to get a separate free credit card to use abroad.”

sturgeon 189 posts

Ah hold on, it only applies ‘in person’? What if I am booking a local hotel and paying in euros on their Spanish website?

sturgeon 189 posts

It doesn’t say anything about in person payments only on their fees page? It says:

“Non-Sterling Transaction Fee (for foreign currency transactions): 2.99% of transaction.
    We will not charge this if the transaction is in Euros, Swedish Kronor or Romanian Lei and it takes place in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA).” it says the transaction can take place in the U.K and surely as this is for a purchase in Euros or the other specified currencies that suggests it doesn’t need to be in person.

https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/assets/pdf/VM34209.pdf

Harrier25 849 posts

From past reports it should be for transactions in person only but there have been reports from some contributors on this site that their online Euro transactions haven’t attracted a Foreign currency fee with their VA card, nor have transactions in other European currencies that aren’t mentioned, so who knows?!!

yonasl 952 posts

In addition to Starling which is a debit card I would highly recommend Tymit which is a Visa credit card. Its advantage is that you can spread the cost over 3 months for free.

Harrier25 849 posts

Yuck! I wouldn’t use Starling abroad nor would I want to spread the cost of my holiday spend over 3 months. I want rewards, not debt.

yonasl 952 posts

Yuck! I wouldn’t use Starling abroad nor would I want to spread the cost of my holiday spend over 3 months. I want rewards, not debt.

Problem is that at 3% fee both Amex and Barclays have it is better to search for something else.

Harrier25 849 posts

Just stick your Barclaycard (Hilton or Avios) behind Curve…while it still exists. Leave your Amex at home, unless you’re chasing a bonus.

DJ 91 posts

It doesn’t say anything about in person payments only on their fees page? It says:

“Non-Sterling Transaction Fee (for foreign currency transactions): 2.99% of transaction.
    We will not charge this if the transaction is in Euros, Swedish Kronor or Romanian Lei and it takes place in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA).” it says the transaction can take place in the U.K and surely as this is for a purchase in Euros or the other specified currencies that suggests it doesn’t need to be in person.

https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/assets/pdf/VM34209.pdf

I used the card for booking museums etc online, I was never charged any additional fees, just the Mastercard conversion rate for the day.

I still have Curve Black Legacy, but I do not trust the card anymore after random duplicate transactions from time to time.

Harrier25 849 posts

I still have Curve Black Legacy, but I do not trust the card anymore after random duplicate transactions from time to time.

I too have Curve Black Legacy and the advantage of it is that it has no FX spend limits.

DanielD 15 posts

From current experience of being in Denmark and Norway, as well as Sweden, over the past month, it would appear that transactions using the Virgin card in DKK and NOK (as well as SEK), also don’t attract foreign transaction fees.

sturgeon 189 posts

which reward credit cards are you using fee abroad out of interest? And for payments in the USA?

Harrier25 849 posts

Virgin Atlantic (Europe only) and Curve linked to Hilton Barclaycard.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.