Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• Mick S 271 posts

just booked an open-jaw to the US.
    Outbound DUB-LHR, LHR-SJC
    Inbound IAH-LHR, LHR-MAN.

I was planning on getting LCY-DUB (collecting my bags and go at LHR) but for some reason the agent was unable to add the LCY flight. So I was curious if LHR-MAN could be added, which it could.

185,000 Avios and £317 for First. What a saving compared to flying out of Heathrow, it would have been almost £900.

just need to sort out my own flight to DUB now.

Mick S 271 posts

posted too early – the point I was trying to make was that LHR-MAN seemed a bit of surprise. I wasn’t expecting this to be possible.

John 1,000 posts

Do you want to go to MAN? This is a redemption so it shouldn’t be necessary to go back to DUB (or MAN). Did you get a quote for the carrier-imposed charge to just end at LHR?

Mick S 271 posts

Yep, I need to end up in Manchester.

BA agent quoted to end at LHR, then tried to do another quote to add LCY-DUB – apparently it wasnt letting her do it, perhaps she thought something to do with this being a CityFlyer. She would have had to pass it to back office to do this, and I didnt want to risk the First class seats going.

LHR-MAN didnt require any further avios, and was just an increase of £11 ish in fees.

memesweeper 1,242 posts

Outbound DUB-LHR, LHR-SJC
    Inbound IAH-LHR, LHR-MAN

185,000 Avios and £317 for First.

That’s a fantastic result.

John 1,000 posts

Yes that’s very good – seems there was no avios charged for DUB-LHR either?

Off-peak F is 85k and peak F is 100k = 185k

Today I learned that there’s no APD for domestic flights if you arrive on an international flight before 5pm and depart within 6 hours (rather than 24 hours usually). If you arrive after 5pm you have until 10am the next day

NorthernLass 7,481 posts

I’ve been looking at similar routings with the new 241 and the savings are tremendous – enough for a VERY nice mini break in Dublin at the start of a long haul trip. Also if you book far enough out, Ryanair from MAN-DUB is about £45 including 20 kg of checked luggage.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    achoogirl 33 posts

Thanks for the tip. I’ve just booked DUB -LHR -JFK. Then EWR -LHR for £300 tax in business. A huge saving. Even the woman in the phone said taxes and charges from London were madness

achoogirl 33 posts

Just to follow up on this. My flight from DUB is 13:00. Would you risk flying out from LOn to Dublin in the morning or play it safe and go the night before? Even with accommodation it’s still cheaper than flying from LHR.

PGW 94 posts

Just to follow up on this. My flight from DUB is 13:00. Would you risk flying out from LOn to Dublin in the morning or play it safe and go the night before? Even with accommodation it’s still cheaper than flying from LHR.

I’ve done ex DUB trips for several years and have saved significant amounts doing so. I would say that if you are a risk-averse person then go for the overnight option even though the odds are that you’ll make a 1300 hrs connection from an early same-day flight to Dublin. My own rule of thumb is that I’m comfortable connecting the same day if the ex DUB flight is after 1400 hrs (my start point is MAN not LHR) and that approach has never resulted in me missing my flight. What I never do is take the last available connection because I want there to be a back up if unforeseen problems arise.

Ultimately, I think that if you have the time to spare on going the day before and will feel more comfortable about it all that’s what you should do.

achoogirl 33 posts

I’ve done ex DUB trips for several years and have saved significant amounts doing so. I would say that if you are a risk-averse person then go for the overnight option even though the odds are that you’ll make a 1300 hrs connection from an early same-day flight to Dublin. My own rule of thumb is that I’m comfortable connecting the same day if the ex DUB flight is after 1400 hrs (my start point is MAN not LHR) and that approach has never resulted in me missing my flight. What I never do is take the last available connection because I want there to be a back up if unforeseen problems arise.

Ultimately, I think that if you have the time to spare on going the day before and will feel more comfortable about it all that’s what you should do.

Thanks. I think I’ll go night before for peace of mind!!

MattB 260 posts

Not sure when you’re flying but with the state of short haul cancellations at the moment i wouldnt risk a same day.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.