Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Help! (Avios Plus cardholder, trying to apply for Premier current account)

• cmcp 36 posts

Hey, I can’t for the life of me find the start point to apply for the Premier Current Account.

I follow the links on here, to the Barclays landing pages, go through the pre-questionnaire, get to “download the app and apply from app” screens.

I have the app downloaded (the Barclays app), viewing my Barclaycard Avios. I’ve been in every menu trying to find how to open a current account and have given up.

Where do you apply via the app????

Carlos 758 posts

you dont need the app, you can do it online. find the bit where it says dont have the app..

bakayaro 6 posts

If you go to products, then under our products there should be “current accounts” next to savings & ISAs or insurance. From there you should be able to select Premier Banking.

cmcp 36 posts

Thank you for the responses. I do have th app, but I will try the non-app option.

(Re: products, I do not have those options in my app… Only loans, insurance and Barclaycard)

Fifth time’s a charm! Great offer, but really questioning the effort-reward, 3 weekends later!

Gary2022 8 posts

I have exactly the same issue – have the Barclaycard avios plus card but can’t find a way to apply for a premier account.

Neither of the suggested options above help me. The app doesn’t allow me to apply for a premier account and there is no non app application method that I can find.

This is turning into a nightmare. Help appreciated.

baVid 27 posts

In the app, when you get to the available products page, you must swipe right to get the premier banking tile. It threw me when looking because the tiles start on number 2 of 4

cmcp 36 posts

In the app, when you get to the available products page, you must swipe right to get the premier banking tile. It threw me when looking because the tiles start on number 2 of 4

No such option. Nothing swipes, no mention of the product.

Seen some good comments on the reminder blog post today, might try uninstalling the app then reinstalling. Or finding the “no app” online option. (https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/11/12/100000-avios-barclaycard-barclays-premier/)

cmcp 36 posts

3 installs later, finally managed to get back to very start screen which said “I’m new to Barclays”

I chose this and had a swimmingly easy onboard process. Was working a dream… UNTIL (!!)

I’m at the last stage in the process; to review an FSCS document, yet when I click continue it kicks me out, asks for my pin again, then asks to read document again, then kicks me out again ad infinitum

What a ride!! 😀

I shall persevere and continue trawling through support forums and comments to find a solution

cmcp 36 posts

Thank you to user squawk7700 for pointing out there’s a recent app update which fixes the FSCS loop.

notenoughmiles 30 posts

Second the OP’s comments – on iOS here and there’s no option anywhere on the app to apply for Premier. I had been using the Barclaycard app to view the Avios Plus card.

When I’ve downloaded the Barclays app – I have to choose a product I already have (Credit Card/Current Account/Loan) and can’t proceed further without selecting. I choose Barclaycard and it’s showing my Avios Plus in the app but nowhere to apply for Premier.

Direct link for anyone who wants to apply online without the app is

https://forms-opb.barclays.co.uk/forms/account-opening/gettingstarted/pca

It’s not 24hrs though:

You can only apply for an account between the following UK hours. We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

Monday to Saturday, 6am to 11:59pm
    Sunday, 8am to 6:30pm

jonnyfly 38 posts

Same problem here (iPhone). On the app, under the four blue round buttons, there’s a white panel with three blank grey boxes in it. I suspect that’s where the product information should be.

Have tried deleting and re-installing the app, also on iPad – the same. Tried applying on the web and after the quiz on historical applications, I got “Sorry, we can’t complete your application at the moment. There’s been a technical problem and we can’t continue right now”. Anyone else had this?

Don’t know if it is technical, or if I failed quiz on dates or previous account openings.

Do you have to wait a day after activating the CC in the Barclays (not Barclaycard) app before the app will display other products?

cmcp 36 posts

Well that was epic. Pleased to report that I’m now onboarded, app set up with both Premier + Barclaycard (was already a Plus member), debit card received, 100k confirmation email received.

Unfortunately the journey had countless dead ends. Took a lot of effort.

The app error messages are gibberish. If you’ve done multiple applications, or if it thinks you had a precious account, or I’d there’s any kind of profile merging… They’ll lock your account and you’ll need to call them. The app doesn’t tell you this, it just displays random error codes.

All things considered, don’t think I’ll be moving my main banking activity to them. The experience has proven to be too unreliable. I can’t afford the time to phone them every time something goes wrong.

Worth it for 125k bonus and an annual upgrade voucher? Defo.

Worth it for doing a full CASS switch as my main bank? Not a chance, they f*cked it.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.