Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors Hilton in Dublin, Ireland

• jayjay 74 posts

Anyone been to any Hilton properties in Dublin? Any recommendations?

Johnie 14 posts

They’re all expensive for what you get, in a ludicrously expensive city.

Really comes down to where you want to be. Conrad is on one corner of Stephen’s Green. Hilton Dublin a bit further up, past the (underwhelming) nightclub strip and overlooking a canal.

Morrison and Garden Inn on north bank of Liffey, former by bridge to Temple Bar booze-culture ghetto. Latter near Fin Services.

Personally I’d go for Kilmainham, bit further out, but with reasonable public transport to city centre, and some good walk/history options nearby.

Wally1976 188 posts

We stayed at the Morrison about 3 years ago and had a very pleasant stay. And yes, it was convenient for Temple Bar 🙂

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,095 posts

Kilmainham makes no sense to me when you’re just visiting the city for a few days. It’s not a salubrious area and you pass through some right dodgy places to get to the historic/retail/hospitality core. Just suck up the cost and go with Hilton or Conrad. I stayed at Hilton on 5 for 4 for 20,000 points per night in 2020. Times have changed since then I know. It’s very convenient though as the Luas tram stops outside it along the Green Line (much nicer/safer aread than the Red Line) so you can be dropped off right on-street in the core if you want, or head out southbound through the nicer suburbs. Huge generalisation but when it comes to the Greater Dublin Area you want to be in the south east quadrant of it.

MilesOnPoint 80 posts

+1 for the Conrad.

Location is outstanding and the service is constantly excellent.

Some decent rates can be had using public sector offer (Inc breakfast “PR11PN).

Alternatively, book through Emyr/virtuoso agent for breakfast,€100 credit and other benefits.

The rooms are well appointed, Nespresso machines and nice toiletries. Breakfast is excellent, served in the smart brasserie on the ground floor, have the banana bread french toast (nice a la carte options are included, even if taking free breakfast as Hilton Gold).

The other Dublin Hilton options are either run down, are poorly located, or both.

jayjay 74 posts

They’re all expensive for what you get, in a ludicrously expensive city.

Really comes down to where you want to be. Conrad is on one corner of Stephen’s Green. Hilton Dublin a bit further up, past the (underwhelming) nightclub strip and overlooking a canal.

Morrison and Garden Inn on north bank of Liffey, former by bridge to Temple Bar booze-culture ghetto. Latter near Fin Services.

Personally I’d go for Kilmainham, bit further out, but with reasonable public transport to city centre, and some good walk/history options nearby.

Thanks – atm I’ve got the Hilton Dublin booked, looks like they’ve already upgraded me

Kilmainham makes no sense to me when you’re just visiting the city for a few days. It’s not a salubrious area and you pass through some right dodgy places to get to the historic/retail/hospitality core. Just suck up the cost and go with Hilton or Conrad. I stayed at Hilton on 5 for 4 for 20,000 points per night in 2020. Times have changed since then I know. It’s very convenient though as the Luas tram stops outside it along the Green Line (much nicer/safer aread than the Red Line) so you can be dropped off right on-street in the core if you want, or head out southbound through the nicer suburbs. Huge generalisation but when it comes to the Greater Dublin Area you want to be in the south east quadrant of it.

Yeah mainly here for work, prefer being closer to the centre

+1 for the Conrad.

Alternatively, book through Emyr/virtuoso agent for breakfast,€100 credit and other benefits.

The rooms are well appointed, Nespresso machines and nice toiletries. Breakfast is excellent, served in the smart brasserie on the ground floor, have the banana bread french toast (nice a la carte options are included, even if taking free breakfast as Hilton Gold).

The other Dublin Hilton options are either run down, are poorly located, or both.

Thanks! Sounds good, I don’t think I can use the public sector offer unless there’s something I don’t know here 😀
    Was tempted with Conrad but don’t see any corporate rates being offered on it either, so I’d need to go with the non-refundable options.

jayjay 74 posts

What floor/room did you get in the Hilton? Getting the option to check-in on the app so just checking. Ideally something with a good view
    Thanks!

jayjay 74 posts

+1 for the Conrad.

Having just been there I completely agree – the Hilton Dublin (on Charlemont Pl) is pretty disappointing. I would’ve been less surprised if it was a Hampton or something, but it isn’t! Rooms were alright, reception didn’t mention anything about having to give ‘explicit permission’ for cleaners to clean the room i.e. you have to call reception and ask them to clean your room on a certain day, otherwise it won’t happen.
    Dinner was very poor overall – the menu changed mid week which was great to see after giving them feedback, however part of my main dish came uncooked and I had to return it.

Phatbear 13 posts

We stayed in the morrison in sept for 3 nights and it was lovely. Really great staff, decent breakfast, although oddly no baked beans on offer and perfectly located for all that dublin has to offer.

blue_wolf 28 posts

Stayed at the Hilton Dublin on points in January and got an upgrade. Nice view of the canal although the single-glazed windows let a lot of the sound in from the road…

I had an early flight so couldn’t try out breakfast but they did make me a hot chocolate at 4am when I checked out.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Alexthenotsogreat 15 posts

I stayed at the Conrad and the Hilton in the last six months – 100% preferred the Conrad, in terms of room, service and food. Agree the pricing is often ridiculous, but we got it 3 nights for 2 (this is available via Emyr until end March I believe) which made it more paltable esp with the $100 credit.

can 506 posts

I stayed at the Conrad and the Hilton in the last six months – 100% preferred the Conrad, in terms of room, service and food. Agree the pricing is often ridiculous, but we got it 3 nights for 2 (this is available via Emyr until end March I believe) which made it more paltable esp with the $100 credit.

when you booked the Conrad with Emyr [or Amex Plat travel], do you also collect points and nights?
    I was wondering if it is preferable to booking it via Hilton as a diamond?

Alexthenotsogreat 15 posts

when you booked the Conrad with Emyr [or Amex Plat travel], do you also collect points and nights?

Yup – I’m Hilton Diamond too and when using Emyr (or other travel agent who books the Hilton Impressario rate) it’s always counted as eligible for points/nights. I’ve never used Amex Plat travel so not sure on that one.

Michael C 667 posts

Found both pleasant – Hilton nice if you like leisurely strolling, maybe Conrad for v short visits, in and out of centre.

can 506 posts

Thanks!

Yup – I’m Hilton Diamond too and when using Emyr (or other travel agent who books the Hilton Impressario rate) it’s always counted as eligible for points/nights. I’ve never used Amex Plat travel so not sure on that one.

can2 462 posts

Any recent experience for Conrad for Diamonds, especially for Amex Plat’s FHR?

can2 462 posts

Just got back from 3 nights in Conrad Dublin.

I’d booked it last summer with Amex’s Fine Hotels and Resorts deal, 3 nights for 2. I booked it via my Plat but chose to pay at the property so that I coud use a more lucrative Amex card for points. And I did with no problem. I just had to use AN Amex card to settle the bill.

I had a wonderful stay. Breakfast was great, the bar had an impressive selection of Irish whisky. The dinner at the hotel was good but nothing special.

We loved the location as well — by a central park, which makes the easy stroll to the centre a pleasure.

We booked the most basic room and got upgraded to only one level up, as a diamond.

I said I had a wonderful stay but with one exception. The front desk. ALL my interactions with the front desk was unpleasant.

1. We had early checkin, arrived early, told to wait. Fine. They said they’ll let us know when the room is ready, while we were sitting in the lobby. They didn’t. We had to chase after them.

2. I forgot to pack my toothbrush, called to ask for a dental kit. They said okay, but didn’t bring it at all. At the end, I had to call the front desk FOUR times to get the damn thing.

3. We have a small kid, he loves plush toys. So, we asked for the Conrad bear. They said okay. had to call THREE times for it.

4. They charged me MORE at check out. When questioned, the poor receptionsits did not have anything to say, couldn’t even explain my charges. Had to rush to the airport, didn’t make a big deal. But, when back to London, I had to write to them to get it fixed. It was fixed, but cost me time and effort for no reason.

Overall I can truly recommend it and would go back. But minimise your interaction with the front desk 🙂

brian 84 posts

I had a very similar experience when I stayed there for a single night earlier this year. Booked two rooms at a very reasonable rate with FHR, taking advantage of a £100 Amex Travel Cashback offer at the time. Got notified of an upgrade for one of the rooms a few days in advance but I reached out asking to ensure both rooms would be at least on the same floor and ideally interconnected. Was told the day before arrival that they were able to arrange interconnecting rooms so I packed and made plans accordingly (was travelling win my 3 year old).

Before I arrived I was told by the other guest who had checked in that our rooms were across from each other and therefore not interconnected. I raised this at the desk when I arrived and was told that there’s no guarantee of interconnected rooms availability which is perfectly understandable. I did take issue with the fact I had confirmation that my request was going to be met though. On showing them the chat log they brought in a manager and I was offered an evening meal as a way of making up for the disappointment. Given I had the $100 credit on top of the free meal I then treated myself and some friends to drinks in the bar later that evening.

Next day after settling the bill I realised it was higher than expected. On returning to the desk and questioning whether the evening meal was excluded from the bill I was told there was no record of any such arrangement. Fortunately I did have the time to deal with the matter there and then and luckily after some time the manager walked by and stepped in to sort things out.

Ended up spending far more time than I’d have liked at that desk and all could have been avoided if the response to my initial interaction was a simple “We cannot guarantee your request”

Would still return depending on how rooms are priced compared to the Garden Inn where I normally stay on points. I do find that it often offers very good value (along with the Hilton at times) given the astronomical price of Dublin rooms at certain times.

robkeane 78 posts

The morrision is my goto hilton in dublin, it is on the doorstep to a lot places. Their car park of choice is only 100 metres or so away. Breakfast great, upgrades not so much.

Have stayed in the conrad a couple of times. They do have their own car park, but to get to that side of st stephens green from the north side is a bit of a ball ache, unless something has changed to the way they flow traffic in the last few years. Also when I was there, it didn’t have a exec lounge, it’s the only conrad I’ve stayed in that doesn’t have one. It’s also somewhat more out of the centre compared to the morrison.

daftboy 2 posts

Having stayed at Hilton many times over many years and Conrad a few times (most recently this past weekend):
    – Hilton good for Luas green line access, and it’s a nice location by the canal – plenty of bars and restaurants in walking distance in various directions from there
    – Conrad very centrally located for the south city centre, just off Stephens Green which is a lovely amenity – and again many very popular pubs and restaurants a few minutes walk away
    – Both buildings not ideal – both have been renovated in the past few years and both have decent public spaces, but both suffer from 1980s/early 1990s structures that limit what they can do, particularly in the rooms which are only fine in both
    – Service will generally be better in the Conrad, but certainly not bad (for its level) in the Hilton
    – Food much better in the Conrad, including a much higher quality breakfast
    – If you can get a 3-for-2 for the Conrad it brings the price down to something quite reasonable, otherwise I find it overpriced on balance (but then the Dublin market is very toppy at the moment). Hilton can often be cheap on member rates

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.